Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by mikeflies View Post
I'm in my mid-forties and coming up on the mins. acceptable to AMF. Ready to exit my current career, too. Realistically, would AMF consider a pilot my age?
Yes. We have pilots over 40. A lot of them are in it to get the turbine PIC more quickly and make up for lost time.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

I'm in my mid-forties and coming up on the mins. acceptable to AMF. Ready to exit my current career, too. Realistically, would AMF consider a pilot my age?
I hope you have a nest egg stashed away, because pay on the Navajo and 99 is horrible. I was taking home $1600/mo when I was there.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Part Time

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Chief Pilot PC-12NG

It might be a descent time to get on with Ameriflight. With the attrition level starting to increase the transition times into the 99, 1900 or Metro are reducing considerably. I've only been with the company for 1.5 years and now I'm going to school for the 1900. The pay for the 1900 or Metro aren't great, but okay. If you have another source of income you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Airline Captain

I see 99's and 1900's at SDF all the time, do they have a domicile here or an outstation or what?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Airline Captain

Originally Posted by ImperialxRat View Post
I hope you have a nest egg stashed away, because pay on the Navajo and 99 is horrible. I was taking home $1600/mo when I was there.
Thats about what everyone else pays in that situation. And a smidge more than most regionals pay first year FO's...
Old 04-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by schone View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what are the differences or why would someone choose one over the other when it comes to Ameriflight (135 cargo/pax etc) to any Regional for instance...?

We all know that we're out , hunting for those turbine PIC golden eggs as fast as.... but the question is, what makes 121 or 135 more appealing over it's counterpart?

I am trying to solve a crossroads situation I find myself in, while trying to apply to everybody. Trying to figure out what it is that i'm really after when all is said and done.

For me personally, what i'm looking for, ideally - get those PIC turb hours fast while maybe also trying to incorporate a situation where I am able to tear myself apart for three weeks at a time and maybe manage to squeeze a week off every month to spend at home, which unfortunately, is overseas.
Any suggestions of how that can be achieved will be greatly appriciated as I do not fully understand how bidding and holding a line works in niether the 135 nor the 121 world.

Thanks much!
-schone
Three years at Ameriflight, which will likely but a couple thousand hours of multiengine PIC time in your logbook -- mostly turbine after the first year -- as well as substantial weather flying experience, will make you a prime candidate for the majors at a time that will likely coincide with an increasingly critical pilot shortage in the US.

Your desires re time off are probably unrealistic at this point in your career.

Referring to other posts regarding Ameriflight accidents, take a look at the causes before you take them too seriously.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Apteryx

Originally Posted by Walkeraviator View Post
I see 99's and 1900's at SDF all the time, do they have a domicile here or an outstation or what?
It's a subsidiary domicile administered through CVG.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Apteryx

Originally Posted by Pilot89p View Post
Word is some high up's are going to be at UPS next week in SDF
Ameriflight executives frequently visit UPS SDF and Hq -- UPS is a major customer!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Apteryx

[QUOTE=wildcat1;314370]
Originally Posted by 1st2000 View Post

I had very few problems with the Mx at AMF. If you write it up, they have to fix it. I've seen problem aircraft come from other bases and it is my belief that the pilots could have done a lot more to keep the airplanes healthy.

NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN FIRED FOR A LEGITIMATE WRITE-UP. And never will be. Can you imagine the legal nightmare Ameriflight will face if they did fire someone for sqwauking and legitimate problem?
Or to go one step further -- the Ameriflight has been in business more than 40 years, flown a couple million hours, some of it in the worst weather areas the country has to offer . . . and has never, NEVER had an injury or fatal accident attributed to maintenance of the aircraft. It's hard to mesh that record with some of the kvetching you see on the Internet. Some of these complaints just aren't credible. Sometimes pilots need to stick to their guns and make it clear that the problem needs to be fixed. The company certainly isn't perfect, but it has -- and employs -- maintenance assets unheard of in most of the 135 cargo industry.

Last edited by Oldog; 04-14-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: left out a couple of words
Old 04-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Apteryx

Originally Posted by Bukowski View Post
One lazy training captain shouldn't speak for a company of professionals.

I have never understood why they do this.

That's unfortunate. But we have to separate ourselves from the needs of Op's and the wishes of mx. If it's broke it's broke. That's professionalism. And sometimes it sucks. But I always remind myself that I'm screwing the next pilot if I don't squawk it.

We're home everyday/night. Pack a lunch, it's healthier.

This makes sense to me. If you choose to move why would AMF pay for relocation.

I agree

'PIC by default' I don't understand

Unfortunately true, but we become safer from others mistakes. Single pilot IFR is not easy.

Touchy subject for me, I flew with and respected T.C. as a competent and safe pilot and a great person. But I've never been pressured to fly. I've known senior and junior pilots who have refused to fly for high wind, low vis., icing, etc. and nothing more is said. Just like with mx, stand your ground.

You're right, WE NEED PILOTS!!

That's pretty insulting.
Referring specifically to "Many accidents on record." This needs to be viewed in the proper context. Nobody wants to have accidents -- but when you consider that Ameriflight has been in business for more than 40 years with a couple of million flight hours on the books -- the company's accident record expressed in terms of accidents or fatalities per 100,000 flight hours is way below the industry average.