Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Originally Posted by andy5466 View Post
So over all you guys at ameriflight are pretty happy? Do you feel like you are a better pilot and more proficent pilot since you have worked there?
Already hundreds of posts from active and former AMF pilots that will answer your question in this thread as well as a 100 page "Ameriflight" thread just a few threads below this one. Read up, there's a lot of good info!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Originally Posted by BeardedFlyer View Post
Thanks for the info 008. What kind of precautions do they take exactly? If it was harmful to the pilot I would think it wouldn't show up right away but 10 or so years down the road in some form of cancer wouldn't it? And by then it would be hard to say what exactly caused it.

I wold have no problem hauling bull jiz, dolphins, giraffes, lions or any other odd thing but I don't think I would want 4000lbs of radioactive material sitting right behind me for 3 hour stretches of time, 5 days a week, every week. Is there any way to make sure you don't get those particular runs? Is SEA the only base that has them?
We wear dosimeters which measure your exposure to radiation and these get turned in monthly. Ameriflight has a doctor that measures the radiation values to make sure you're not being overexposed. Before every leg we use an electronic device that measures radioactivity at certain areas around the aircraft. We also install a lead curtain between the cockpit and the first bay which cuts down exposure to almost zero while you're flying. The pilots DO NOT load this cargo. As far as I know, Cincinnati, Miami, Dallas, and Phoenix (not sure if its PHX or BUR pilots that fly the PHX-BUR leg) are the only bases that have the nuke runs and these are once a week on Sundays. Keep in mind all this info pertains only to flights under the 7060 exemption where you are carrying more than normal amount of radioactive material and cannot comply with the normal separation standards. These runs are only done in Metro's and 1900s, so you wouldn't need to worry about flying under 7060 until you transition into one of these aircraft. No matter where you are based, you WILL occasionally carry radioactive hazmat in very small amounts.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: Fifth floor, window

The doctor monitors the dosimeters....after exposure. Continued, or I suppose, cumulative exposure is what they are looking for, and at some time you may reach a limit. But you've got to wonder what happens with a one time "spike" exposure.

We carried hazmat and radioactive stuff too (different carrier). Depending on what it was it was way in back (60+ feet) but sometimes I'd find it up front, nestled right next to those Omaha Steak shipments.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Respek

Joined APC: Jul 2010

A little radiation never hurt anyone lol.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2010
Default Amf

so over all you guys at ameriflight are pretty happy? Do you feel like you are a better pilot and more proficent pilot since you have worked there?
yes>>>yes>>>yes...
Old 12-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

So over all you guys at ameriflight are pretty happy? Do you feel like you are a better pilot and more proficent pilot since you have worked there?

Absolutely!!! I'm a safer, sharper, and more proficient pilot.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Keepin Dirty Side Down

Don't know what type of Koolaide some of these guys were drinking but the company did make me a better pilot.......now the happy part, that I can't agree with and I honestly never met a pilot working there that was happy. I went in with the best intentions and best attitude but was quickly broke and learned the Ameriflight happy.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by BeardedFlyer View Post
A B1900 AMF guy based out of SEA I met recently told me about some runs having to haul some type of radiation emitting medical equipment?? He told me the company tells the pilots simply to "make sure its loaded as far aft as possible." Has anybody else on here heard of this or any other hazardous type of cargo being hauled at AMF?
Someone uninformed person made that story up. Ameriflight operates under a rigidly controlled DOT special permit program, monitored by a Ph.D. consulting radiation physicist, there are very specific instructions on how the airplane is to be loaded to produce maximum separation and take maximum advantage of the radioactive material containers' shielding effect, the crews wear tactical dosimeters, special equipment is used to check the airplanes, and program records indicate that the overall radiation dosage experienced by crews on the "glow" flights runs about ten percent of the program's allowable limit.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by JustAMushroom View Post
" only one accident can I think of was due to a mechanical failure. All the rest have been pilot error."

Are you kidding?????????? This is GOOD??????

I flew freight..then 135 people charter/shuttle, then 91 corp..now 121 Capt. I can honestly tell you there is more to life than "racking up turbine PIC"

Keeping your certificate safe is just as important as building time.
I get kind of tired of reading rumors about Ameriflight's "safety problems." The company just passed 500,000 in-company flight hours without a fatal accident -- a record unmatched in the Part 135 cargo business. As to the mechanical failure, the company has never hurt anyone because of the way they take care of the airplanes, during 43+ years in the business . . . and guess what, the big guys have mechanical failures too! Does AMF's record match the big airlines? No, but AMF doesn't have multimillion dollar Boeings, at least two highly experienced pilots in each cockpit, Part 121 infrastructure, lots of personnel at each destination, etc., etc, either. They're doing very well for their part of the market.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012

The company just passed 500,000 in-company flight hours without a fatal accident -- a record unmatched in the Part 135 cargo business.
Considering the size of AMF, this is not that impressive of a number.

And safety records are only good until today. Then it starts all over again.