Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: goin somewhere....

Originally Posted by Herb Flemmming View Post
Maybe some of the current Amflight guys can help me out, Ive been in Africa on the B1900C for 2 years now one in the left and one in the right 2000TT on type 1000 in the left seat, When my contracts up 2600TT. Seattle is my home and would like to live there, does Amflight hire directly on to the 1900 if your already typed? or is there a seniority system?

Thanks
That’s a tough question. It’s all based on what the company needs. You might get lucky and find a 1900 spot somewhere but that means the company has gone through everyone already in the company and either can’t get anyone to take the bid (bad location/quals) or can’t find anyone qualified to transition to the plane. It is very unlikely you'll get based in BFI because of staffing. Your best bet if you want to come back and fly for amflight is to pick up one of the 99 bids that should be coming out and then have the inside track on a 1900 bid. You can give the 1900 route a try though; you never know what you could find. Give Burbank a call and see what happens

Last edited by Earl81; 08-06-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by Tantive400 View Post
Which is the most current junior 99 base? Also, which is the most likely domicile for a new hire for the chieften? Thanks guys!
Junior 99: OMA, BUF, SLC

PA31: OAK, PDX, BUR
Old 08-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Respek

Joined APC: Jul 2010

Do you guys fly the 1900 single pilot also?
Old 08-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Cruz5350 View Post
Do you guys fly the 1900 single pilot also?
Ya we fly everything single pilot except the brasilia. We have a first officer program but that is NOT a second pilot.......Just payin to play...a little
Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Been a few years since we had a direct 99 hire in SLC

Last edited by own nav; 08-08-2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: redundant
Old 08-08-2011, 12:32 PM
In the dumpster fire

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
This! +1

Most of these street hires already have experience in the metro, turbine time, or live near a base where the need is the greatest. (IE. SJU)
and yet they still bust out of training. brilliant! (and no, the one im talkin about had no Metro time)
Old 08-08-2011, 12:36 PM
In the dumpster fire

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by Planewatcher View Post
Things have changed.

It was a min. of a year in the Lance then a year in the Chieftan. Upgrading had a better ring to it back then. Now its "I've been in this recip for 3 months wheres my upgrade"
how bout this: some guys been with the company for a year and a half and yet they hire off the street (for positions with better pay) because the guy is stuck in a 6 month "base commitment". The base commitment is bogus. If it is a truly better position (pay, larger airframe) then the current guys should get first dibs over a new hire... base commitment be damned.

upgrades that take a long time are fine as long as theyre not given to new hires due to technicalities in how the "employee handbook" is written.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Speed tape and prayers

I haven't posted here in ages... so I come with a question. I just got an offer to phone interview with Ameriflight. I'm currently living on the west coast, but commute to the east coast to work every week as I have been flying with a regional out there for a little over a year now. I would move out there, but family commitments keep me out here in California. It would be a heck of a lot easier to fly out of oakland or portland, but starting over somewhere isn't exactly appealing. I'm leaning towards staying with my current job, but I would like to hear opinions. thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Wildflyin View Post
I haven't posted here in ages... so I come with a question. I just got an offer to phone interview with Ameriflight. I'm currently living on the west coast, but commute to the east coast to work every week as I have been flying with a regional out there for a little over a year now. I would move out there, but family commitments keep me out here in California. It would be a heck of a lot easier to fly out of oakland or portland, but starting over somewhere isn't exactly appealing. I'm leaning towards staying with my current job, but I would like to hear opinions. thanks!
That question has a lot of personal issues that only you can make. I think there is a lot of truth on both sides of the "what’s better 121 - 135" argument. It is true there is a larger group to help in your quest to a major job if you’re at a regional. It’s also true that all your time at a 135 carrier is pic. We have had people go to the majors or corporate or whatever but it is true it isn’t the same amount you would see at the regionals. The thing you have to look at is the percentage compared to the entire pilot group for each. If you do that it isn’t as bad a picture for each.

Your situation is a lot like mine. My family is on the west coast and also has obligations there. I don’t want to commute so I fly for Ameriflight. Whether or not I would be better off at a regional in the long run is yet to be seen but my family is more important than my job. I’m trying to balance my home life and my work life as best I can right now. There will be more and more opportunities soon enough. I'm building pic turbine time right now and my quality of life is not bad. One thing I know is you can’t beat the experience you'll get flying single pilot IFR. In your case you would have experience with both if you went to Ameriflight.

The bottom line is your question is a personal one you'll have to make. Just make the choice that’s right for your situation and keep chipping away at your log book. The majors aren't the only game in town. Things will happen....

Last edited by Earl81; 08-10-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:34 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by SIUav8er View Post
how bout this: some guys been with the company for a year and a half and yet they hire off the street (for positions with better pay) because the guy is stuck in a 6 month "base commitment". The base commitment is bogus. If it is a truly better position (pay, larger airframe) then the current guys should get first dibs over a new hire... base commitment be damned.

upgrades that take a long time are fine as long as theyre not given to new hires due to technicalities in how the "employee handbook" is written.
I agree. We shouldn't be hiring people direct into a plane that could be filled by a current employee. If no one will take the position then the company needs to do what they need to do. I have seen positions get filled with new hires without posting it to the rest of the pilot group a couple times now.