Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: PT Inbound

Originally Posted by SIUav8er View Post
Yeah! hire 99 pilots off the street when they have plenty of pa31 pilots who would take the 99's. Havent seen a 99 bid come out in several months!
The order of priority for a bid is ...
***Company's best interest: They do what they want if there is a business advantage behind it! That's business!

That said, everything else being the same benefit/cost for business, the bid order is...
1. In Base (Seniority)
2. Standing Bid Holders (This is company wide but No Company wide bid is posted if it can be filled by a standing bidder)
3. Company Wide Bid (Now, a bid shows up on the portal)

As you can see, if you have a standing bid in place, you will actually get prioriy over EVERYONE else in the company who doesn't have a standing bid in regardless of seniority because the others will never get a chance to speak up if you accept the bid before it even posts to the portal.

Originally Posted by SIUav8er View Post
They are also hiring Metro captains off the street for positions that NEVER went up for bid.
Hiring a new metro pilot versus re-hiring an old departed metro pilot who is still current in the metro are two different things. Refer to the first note in the above bidding order.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
For one thing, I never said anything close to it being a "trend." But on the other hand I'm not going to sit here and let SIU preach that it "never happens."

And really, to say that if you're not going to fly for a major airline next, you must be in a "dead end job," I don't agree with either. I don't view my friends making good money flying corporate, air ambulance, or overseas as "failures."
Everyone has choices. If Ameriflight isn't to your liking, by all means go somewhere else! But bear in mind that lots -- not a few, LOTS -- of aviators have gotten their major airline career started with a few thousand hours of experience gained at good ol' Ameriflight, over the 40+ years the company has been in business.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:27 PM
In the dumpster fire

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by Fly Boy Knight View Post

Hiring a new metro pilot versus re-hiring an old departed metro pilot who is still current in the metro are two different things. Refer to the first note in the above bidding order.
trust me, they ARE hiring pilots off the street with no metro experience. but i guess thats in "the companies best interest". Not sure how, but its wrong in my opinion
Old 07-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by Oldog View Post
Everyone has choices. If Ameriflight isn't to your liking, by all means go somewhere else! But bear in mind that lots -- not a few, LOTS -- of aviators have gotten their major airline career started with a few thousand hours of experience gained at good ol' Ameriflight, over the 40+ years the company has been in business.
I leave it to others to determine what constitutes "lots," but if anyone reading wants a good unbiased snapshot of what it's been like the last few years, take the list freightdog gave, add a few more for bases he's not as familiar with, then compare it with the number of pilots at AMF (airlne profiles, top right) and you'll get a pretty good idea of where we're at.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2011
Position: point guard

trust me, they ARE hiring pilots off the street with no metro experience. but i guess thats in "the companies best interest". Not sure how, but its wrong in my opinion
The people they hired for those positions probably have previous turbine experience. Hang in there I'm sure you'll get in the 99 soon.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by Beans Johnson View Post
The people they hired for those positions probably have previous turbine experience. Hang in there I'm sure you'll get in the 99 soon.
This! +1

Most of these street hires already have experience in the metro, turbine time, or live near a base where the need is the greatest. (IE. SJU)

Last edited by freightdog; 07-28-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Things have changed.

It was a min. of a year in the Lance then a year in the Chieftan. Upgrading had a better ring to it back then. Now its "I've been in this recip for 3 months wheres my upgrade"
Old 07-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by Planewatcher View Post
Things have changed.

It was a min. of a year in the Lance then a year in the Chieftan. Upgrading had a better ring to it back then. Now its "I've been in this recip for 3 months wheres my upgrade"
Well put Planewatcher. I remember starting here back in '06 and they were retiring the last of the Lances and timing worked out where people (including myself) were transitioning into bigger equipment every 6-9 months.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Which is the most current junior 99 base? Also, which is the most likely domicile for a new hire for the chieften? Thanks guys!
Old 08-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009

Maybe some of the current Amflight guys can help me out, Ive been in Africa on the B1900C for 2 years now one in the left and one in the right 2000TT on type 1000 in the left seat, When my contracts up 2600TT. Seattle is my home and would like to live there, does Amflight hire directly on to the 1900 if your already typed? or is there a seniority system?

Thanks