Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight etc vs. 121 world

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by cubbies4life View Post
You have more pilots trying to get to the majors than Ameriflight and more pilots in general. This industry has proven time and time again that its all about who you know. If my dad, uncle, grandpa, cousin, and sister are all Delta pilots I could probably fly jumpers to get my twin turbine and get a job. 121 time makes better contacts in the 121 world but the time isn't that much more valuable imo
I've yet to see anyone go from flying twin otters to the majors. Usually, its flying jumpers to get to the regionals. You're right about the size of pilot group. Many of our guys that move on help us out when its time to apply to XYZ major. This reason is exactly why pilots should get to the regional level ASAP, its about who you know and not what you know to get an interview. Regarding your flight time, it does matter whether you want to believe it or not. The mins are the mins, if you don't meet them you won't get an interview 97% of the time, regardless of who you know.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Originally Posted by SIUav8er View Post
what are you smokin dude? Who has gone from AMFML to a major in the last, oh lets say 10 years? Heck, has it happened at all in the last 40 years? I see AMF pilots leaving to go to 2 places. MOST go to the regionals, some go on to corporate or other 135 gigs. Maybe a few of the lucky guys went somewhere like Alegiant, but that is purely rumor and extremely rare. They had some sort of inside connection to even get their resume looked at.

To anyone considering Ameriflight, I highly urge you to consider going to a regional. AMF is a dead end job that eventually leads you to the right seat of a CRJ anyway, so why wait? Get your seniority now instead of starting at the bottom after a few years at AMF.

Disclaimer: I am not a disgruntled former or current employee. I think overall AMF is a semi-fair place to work. The experience gained here is awesome and the flying really is fun. But when I see 1900 and SA227 Captains with no black marks on their records, thousands of hours of TPIC , and no one will look at them except the regionals, I see a dead end job. The Majors want military and 121 time. period. AMF cant give you either so whats the long term advantage of coming here?
+1
I second that, Anyone who goes to Ameriflight needs to have 1200 TT & I don't know what multi required but I assume a Comm Multi Instrument, so will have at least 15-20 hrs on Multi.....

CFI to Ameriflite to Regional route was the route in a dead Hiring season.....
Eagle is taking 500/50 or 800/100, go there direct, be a ATR or CRJ FO & Captain & move on in Life.....

Anyone with 1200 hrs TT should just go do some time buildig on Multi & go direct regional......... Unless someone's dream & aim in life is to fly boxes at night for a few years........ I am not putting it down but be realistic....

This coming time is the best time in Aviation, don't waste this opportunity......
Old 07-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: NU Guy

It depends on what your goals are.

With all else being equal who you gonna hire? Seriously be honest.

Major - RJ PIC time

Corporate/Air Ambulance - Ameriflight is the winner
Old 07-05-2011, 08:22 AM
In the dumpster fire

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
JetBlue-BFI pilot 2009
Alaska-BFI pilot 2008
Frontier-OAK pilot 2008
Allegiant-BUR/DFW pilot(s) 2008, 2010
Continental-PHX pilot 2007
UPS, SWA, etc, etc, etc...

FYI-The current chief pilot for UPS in ONT is an old Cal Air Charter pilot (Pre-Ameriflight)

You're right, we can't get interviews

Don't tell me we (AMF freight dogs) can't make it. It's all about who you know and displaying confidence in the interview that you will get through training and will be a great addition to the company.
how many of these guys went DIRECT to these jobs after ameriflight? Just curious... If they did, thats awesome, but again, its EXTREMELY rare! Sure, there are tons of former 135 freight dogs at the majors, thats not what I am debating. I am simply saying there is another job between 135 freight and flying heavy iron

You have your best chances to progress in this career if you go to a regional instead of AMF. Can you go from AMF to a major? Sure. But your chances are slim to none compared to going to a regional. Thats the theme of what I am trying to say here.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

how many of these guys went DIRECT to these jobs after ameriflight? Just curious... If they did, thats awesome, but again, its EXTREMELY rare! Sure, there are tons of former 135 freight dogs at the majors, thats not what I am debating. I am simply saying there is another job between 135 freight and flying heavy iron

You have your best chances to progress in this career if you go to a regional instead of AMF. Can you go from AMF to a major? Sure. But your chances are slim to none compared to going to a regional. Thats the theme of what I am trying to say here.
I only know 2 or 3 of the one's he mentioned, and yes they went completely direct. I could list a few more that went direct from other bases, but apparently you wouldn't believe it anyway.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Heard of a few AMF'rs that washed out of training because they couldn't manage the FMS or fly the flight director. Too much time on "raw data" could be an Achilles heal.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate View Post
Heard of a few AMF'rs that washed out of training because they couldn't manage the FMS or fly the flight director. Too much time on "raw data" could be an Achilles heal.
Which airline?
The people I personally know got through their respective training programs, whether it was Allegiant, Continental, Alaska, JetBlue, or Frontier. Not saying it can't be difficult.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate View Post
"could be"

The pilots I know who went to majors all made it through training.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
I only know 2 or 3 of the one's he mentioned, and yes they went completely direct. I could list a few more that went direct from other bases, but apparently you wouldn't believe it anyway.

So all of U guys are proving the point, that no doubt there are a FEW guys that have gone direct to majors, but that's only a hand full of guys, that U can count on finger tips.....

That can NOT be a general analysis or a TREND or a recommended career path advise which seniors could & should offer the new hires who can have choices.......

Making it in training or not is a different subject & a lot depends on the individual, his aptitude, adaptability & also, his personal circumstances during training........
Old 07-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

All of them...