Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

satsair question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: SAABster

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
You're lucky as hell. Congrats on getting there w/o the CFI for building the hours, unless you're just that rich, then you suck!!!!

I still have a desire to fly one of those planes though, always interested me with just the side-yoke and panel flight instruments, let alone everything else like the speed and FADEC
I've ferried SR20's and 22's and I love them!! They are a pilot's dream single.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: high speed taxi driver

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
You're lucky as hell. Congrats on getting there w/o the CFI for building the hours, unless you're just that rich, then you suck!!!!

I still have a desire to fly one of those planes though, always interested me with just the side-yoke and panel flight instruments, let alone everything else like the speed and FADEC
I'm very lucky to have found such a great place to work. But I am not rich in any way. i worked my butt off and went around finding flights anywhere I could, then got a job flying 135 until they went out of business, now I am here.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by jdsavage View Post
I'm very lucky to have found such a great place to work. But I am not rich in any way. i worked my butt off and went around finding flights anywhere I could, then got a job flying 135 until they went out of business, now I am here.
Even better!!!! So when can I get a ride
Old 04-11-2007, 06:26 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Has anyone heard from SATSAIR in a while? The rumor I heard was they were holding off on interviewing or training. Does anyone know if it is correct?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Sim dude

They did back off on the hiring, but there is a class scheduled for the end of April I understand.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Any chance of getting on with Satsair if I live near Philadelphia. Do they look for pilots that far north?
Old 04-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Sim dude

Originally Posted by tebpilot View Post
Any chance of getting on with Satsair if I live near Philadelphia. Do they look for pilots that far north?
Right now PHL is the very northern edge of the service area. The northernmost crew base is Manassas, VA. As they expand operations there will problably be a base further north, though when that may happen is anyones guess.

I would say right now there's very little chance of a position in the PHL area, but send a resume and keep updating so they have you in mind if and when they look further north.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Snakes & Nape

Position: B-767 Captain
Default SATSair

I have run into several SATSair pilots at CHS and SAV in the past month or so during corporate charters. From what they've told me, several pilots have left the company or are going to leave because of their scheduling and operations. I don't know the particulars but I have been told that the company is having trouble filling a new hire class for March, now postponed until late April.

A friend who needs a job, had an interview with SATS and told me that he wouldn't sign an "employment contract" even though they are not legally enforceable. He met several pilots at their home base and was told that the company has a habit of "pushing pilots" to meet a constantly changing schedule and they complained of 5-8 hour "sits" at an FBO with no rental car or day rooms available. Flying a single in IFR weather might make it easier to understand why they can't find pilots at $ 27,000 per year.

The corporate world is hiring and even the airlines probably are a better deal, especially since the pendulum will swing back as the airlines economic conditions improve.

Just an ol' corporate dogs thoughts, but check it out carefully.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Snakes & Nape

Position: B-767 Captain
Default Fadec

I don't believe that the Cirrus has a FADEC. A B-757, B-767 and B-777 yes, but a Cirrus...maybe I'm wrong and one of the Cirrus guys can straighten me out.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by Phantom Flyer View Post
I don't believe that the Cirrus has a FADEC. A B-757, B-767 and B-777 yes, but a Cirrus...maybe I'm wrong and one of the Cirrus guys can straighten me out.
It is a FADEC, just because it isn't on a turbine, doesn't mean it isn't one. From what I understand, it works very well, keeps temps in line and the engine running at a more precision fuel flows than any person could do.