Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

satsair question

Old 02-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2006

Thank You very much for the quick reply. I will go ahead and send my resume in and hope for the best. Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:09 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Default SATSair questions...

So, let me get all this right:

You're on for 5 days at a time. During that time, you fly an SR22 all over the SE, never knowing where you're going next.

I assume that, every time you land, you call dispatch and they tell you whether you're just supposed to sit at the FBO until they call you with a new fare, or you should deadhead now to pick up a new passenger at another airport.

Do you begin each morning not knowing where you will be spending the night?

What's the hotel quality been like? Are you often staying at tiny hotels in tiny towns, or do they deadhead you to a nearby largest town?

How much of your flying is alone, on deadheads, vs. with pax?

How much of your flying is done to small, backwoods airports vs. ILS-equipped ones? (I reckon you become an expert at non-precision approaches to uncontrolled fields.)

Am I correct that, as long as they have an AWOS, any airport is fair game for IFR ops, and any airport with a paved runway is suitable for VFR ops?

How much sitting do you do in the course of a day?

Do the FBO's treat you well when you're sitting (give you a courtesy car, etc.)

What do they give you for a per diem?

How do you get meals since you're going to airports a long ways from anywhere in a lot of case.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: high speed taxi driver

You are on duty for 5 days, if you're on the road or flying all that time is up to how busy the company is. You have a pretty good idea of where you are going by the day before. However, keep in mind this is charter and things can change fast.
The day before we are told our schedule for the up coming day. Therefore we already know pretty well where we will sit and for about how long. They are pretty good at scheduling the day so that you don't sit too long most times. Otherwise if they don't have anything else for you, they usually will tell you to fly home or go to a hotel.
I start each day with a pretty good idea of where I will end up, but again this is charter.
Hampton Inn, Hilton, Marriott, Crown Plaza, all very nice places. So far speaking for myself I've ended up in at least a Hampton Inn near the airport. Even the small ones. If there is nothing nice they will deadhead you to somewhere else.
I would say at this point close to half of the flying is alone, just heading out to pick up or repo for the next trip.
A lot is done to backwoods airports with only a GPS, however we do our fair share of class B airports as well.
With pax we don't fly VFR, only IFR.
Its hard to say how much sitting we all do in a day. I have heard of some flying a lot, and myself not so much. It depends where you are based, and what days off you have. Seems like I have our busy days off so I'll be home for sometimes a week to a week and a half at a time. When I'm on a trip, I don't sit too much in a FBO, they schedule a min of 30 mins for turn around.
FBO's seem to treat us well. Depends on the person behind the desk. I get a lot of complements from the ladies for my uniform.
But, yes, for the places that have crew cars they let us use them. Most places have them, some I would dream of touching. If you do have enough time and there is nothing near by with no crew car, Ops will rent a car so you can eat.
Pack a lunch, vending machine, fast food when near. If you're busy and stopping in GMU sometimes they will buy you lunch and deliver it to the airport for you.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

Originally Posted by jdsavage View Post
You are on duty for 5 days, if you're on the road or flying all that time is up to how busy the company is. You have a pretty good idea of where you are going by the day before. However, keep in mind this is charter and things can change fast.
The day before we are told our schedule for the up coming day. Therefore we already know pretty well where we will sit and for about how long. They are pretty good at scheduling the day so that you don't sit too long most times. Otherwise if they don't have anything else for you, they usually will tell you to fly home or go to a hotel.
I start each day with a pretty good idea of where I will end up, but again this is charter.
Hampton Inn, Hilton, Marriott, Crown Plaza, all very nice places. So far speaking for myself I've ended up in at least a Hampton Inn near the airport. Even the small ones. If there is nothing nice they will deadhead you to somewhere else.
I would say at this point close to half of the flying is alone, just heading out to pick up or repo for the next trip.
A lot is done to backwoods airports with only a GPS, however we do our fair share of class B airports as well.
With pax we don't fly VFR, only IFR.
Its hard to say how much sitting we all do in a day. I have heard of some flying a lot, and myself not so much. It depends where you are based, and what days off you have. Seems like I have our busy days off so I'll be home for sometimes a week to a week and a half at a time. When I'm on a trip, I don't sit too much in a FBO, they schedule a min of 30 mins for turn around.
FBO's seem to treat us well. Depends on the person behind the desk. I get a lot of complements from the ladies for my uniform.
But, yes, for the places that have crew cars they let us use them. Most places have them, some I would dream of touching. If you do have enough time and there is nothing near by with no crew car, Ops will rent a car so you can eat.
Pack a lunch, vending machine, fast food when near. If you're busy and stopping in GMU sometimes they will buy you lunch and deliver it to the airport for you.
Hope this helps.
Sounds like they , SATSAir, makes every effort to keep you employed and happy to keep you for the long term.

Do you get per diem / money to help pay for tips, meals, dry cleaning, cell phone usage if needed to get the job done? If so, how much?

Do you get a witer jacket or are you on your own to buy a company approved one?

-LAFF
Old 02-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Article on them in March 2007 issue of "Flying" magazine pg 31-34
Old 02-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by LAfrequentflyer View Post
Sounds like they , SATSAir, makes every effort to keep you employed and happy to keep you for the long term.

Do you get per diem / money to help pay for tips, meals, dry cleaning, cell phone usage if needed to get the job done? If so, how much?

Do you get a witer jacket or are you on your own to buy a company approved one?

-LAFF
Yes, they try very hard to make us happy. I am very impressed with the company and every one I have worked with.

You do get per diem, however I don't remember the hourly rate off the top of my head. They also pay you extra per month for cell phone usage tips, etc. That is on top of the per diem.

You're on your own for jackets. I haven't heard of any complaints about what someone was wearing. What I, and what other people wear are dark jackets, leather, old bomber, whatever they feel like wearing I guess. I think their feeling is whatever keeps you warm and looks professional.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

That's good to hear JD. Sounds like your management really knows what they are doing. Wish my company was like that, but then again, I'm getting paid pretty damn good for what I do. Just the benefits are nil and the boss can be a pain at times
Old 03-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2006

Hey JDsavage,

Just curious, but is it better to send a resume over satsair.com or on their job post on Climbto350.com. I sent a resume about a week and a half ago and am still waiting to hear. I sent it over satsair.com. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Fly21 View Post
Hey JDsavage,

Just curious, but is it better to send a resume over satsair.com or on their job post on Climbto350.com. I sent a resume about a week and a half ago and am still waiting to hear. I sent it over satsair.com. Thanks in advance.
Either way should be good. I was in Greenville at the time so I walked mine into their office. Their phone number is on their website, you could call and ask them if you can fax or email it. Or since you already sent it in just ask about it. They're all very good people there and they would be more than happy to inform you of whats going on with your resume.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Any idea if they are planning expansion up north? I live in PA and was hoping to get on with the company. I sent in a resume, but no reply yet.