Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

satsair question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by tebpilot View Post
Any idea if they are planning expansion up north? I live in PA and was hoping to get on with the company. I sent in a resume, but no reply yet.
I always wondered how they could operate up north during winter without FIKI, I just lost 2 months of IFR flying in Vermont. Scud running around snow showers, flying illegally into forcast icing (often an airmet for FZL-12k+), or canceling alot of flights will be interesting options. Everyone has such different opinions on winter IFR without FIKI I hope SATSair comes up north just for the case study.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by Andrew_VT View Post
I always wondered how they could operate up north during winter without FIKI, I just lost 2 months of IFR flying in Vermont. Scud running around snow showers, flying illegally into forcast icing (often an airmet for FZL-12k+), or canceling alot of flights will be interesting options. Everyone has such different opinions on winter IFR without FIKI I hope SATSair comes up north just for the case study.
I doubt you'll ever find any new production singles(recip) with FIKI. I'm not sure, but were the C-210's available with FIKI equp? I know Flight Express flies them.

BTW, What you mention is just part of the job. Make you decisions, and hope you made the right one, but be ready to explain your actions if someone else thought it was the wrong one.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

http://www.weepingwings.com/

Single Engine Pistons eligible for FIKI with TKS:

Bonanza A36 (1984-present)
C210 (L M N and P210)
Mooney M20K M20M-R-S
Commander 114B 114TC

The new Diamond twinstar is FIKI too (with fuel burn of a single)

I always thought it was wierd that columbia and cirrus have all the Ice stuff, like TKS or the heat strips, but they never went after FIKI...must be insurance plays a big role in that.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:37 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Retired Airline
Default SATSAir

I just came back from a meeting with Tim McConnell at Stuart, Witham, FL. KSUA. He was on his 104 stop "mission" to introduce SATSAir to Florida. I had put in a resume on the website and asked to meet with the reps on the tour as it came through. Tim is a co-founder of the company and according to some of their info is Executive VP of Operations. I wore a tie! Not knowing what to expect I prepared myself for an interview but it turned out to be a totally relaxed discussion about the company and it's plans for the future. He said they are planning expansion into Florida but that they were more concerned on building up the existing passenger base first and then getting into marketing the southeast. They have approximately 1500 operations monthly now and if I'm correct the day before yesterday they had a record 85 operations.

He said that they had 40 pilots and 26 airplanes now and that the majority of the pilots were retired airline. They will be hiring again for Florida in May.

He confirmed the $30,000 for the first year. I asked about the training bond. They require a $9000, 9 month contract. If you leave before 9 months you owe them a monthly pro-rated amount. i.e. if you stay 9 months your contract is cancelled. Don't know about the restriction not to go with any competitor.

The work cycle would be 4 on, 3 off. He didn't mention the additional volunteer day but said that he would pack a bag for 4 days since once you're on the road you may spend the total time away. This interested me since I'd rather be away for 4 days than commute unless the base was Stuart. It would be their option to return you home overnight based on the cost of hotels and away expenses -- the airplane being very efficient.

Overall I enjoyed the meeting and was impressed with their plans. I told him I hoped to be hearing from him in May.

Macintosh b'Gosh

Last edited by Macman1; 03-10-2007 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Corrected training bond to 9 months.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Captain part 135

A $9000.00 training bond for a single engine piston???
Old 03-09-2007, 04:51 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Retired Airline

That's what he said.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: high speed taxi driver

Yeah, $9000. However I was told (and signed) a 9 month agreement. I don't know if they changed it to 12 or not though. Also, because we are so short staffed, plan 5 on 2 off, but their goal is the 4 and 3. Also, just because you're on call doesn't mean you'll be called out. Sometimes I'll be home for a week or more. Everything else sounds up to date and true.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

Do they hire CFIs or mostly retired airline guys?

-LAFF
Old 03-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: high speed taxi driver

They hire anybody that is qualified and that they feel will be able to handle single pilot ifr 135 pax flying. I was neither a CFI nor am I retired airline.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by jdsavage View Post
They hire anybody that is qualified and that they feel will be able to handle single pilot ifr 135 pax flying. I was neither a CFI nor am I retired airline.
You're lucky as hell. Congrats on getting there w/o the CFI for building the hours, unless you're just that rich, then you suck!!!!

I still have a desire to fly one of those planes though, always interested me with just the side-yoke and panel flight instruments, let alone everything else like the speed and FADEC