Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

TMC- Travel Management Company

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:24 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2014
Position: Phenom

Originally Posted by Fetzervalve View Post
What types are people getting hired into these days? Everyone going to the Beechjet or are newhires even getting the 604

Fingers crossed on the union drive!!!
I was told openings are for the 400/800 and just depend on where they decide to place you. 604 slots are going mostly by seniority to upgrades out of the 800.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Left Seat

Originally Posted by BuddhaPilot73 View Post
I was told openings are for the 400/800 and just depend on where they decide to place you. 604 slots are going mostly by seniority to upgrades out of the 800.
Wonder what they are paying 604 pilots these days since I know the pay for the 400XP/800XP is on the lowish side......... At least you get more elbow room in the 604!
Old 11-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Originally Posted by Fetzervalve View Post
Wonder what they are paying 604 pilots these days since I know the pay for the 400XP/800XP is on the lowish side......... At least you get more elbow room in the 604!
Just like the rest of the fleet, the 604 pay is subpar as well. Captains start out at 90K on the 604 with merit based pay raises each year. Anywhere from 0-5% increase. Guys are getting hired into the Beechjet and 800 as FOs and can bid for the 604 when seniority allows.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2012
Default TMC- Travel Management Company

Why would you bid a new airplane only to make subpar pay? Aren't going rates for a 604 like 90k for an FO and close to 130 for a captain or am I way off?
Old 11-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by FlyHIGHgoFAST View Post
Why would you bid a new airplane only to make subpar pay? Aren't going rates for a 604 like 90k for an FO and close to 130 for a captain or am I way off?
You are not way off at all. TMC pays lower than they should by a bit.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Talking Way to go, TMC Pilots!!!

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
Shocking that management would allow a union in. It will kill the company.
Originally Posted by ShadyMilkman View Post
"Allow" really doesn't describe how they've handled it, in the same way that a store owner would take exception to one saying, "he allowed himself to be robbed," or a young woman might presumptuously be said to have, "allowed herself to be assaulted."

From what I can see, the initial efforts were pretty disciplined and stealthy. This thing seems to have reached critical mass before the man gave any indication that he was onto it.

Then again, history shows that appearances tend to be deceiving.
First off, I am so happy to hear that the TMC Pilots have stood up to Tha' Man!

Jet,

The oldest threat in the book before the cards get sent in is... "we'll shut this place down if a union comes on property...". An empty threat that pilots usually fall for. It is often said no company gets a union that doesn't deserve one, and no pilot group gets a contract that doesn't deserve one. TMC Management DEFINATELY deserves this and it has been a loooong time coming. 5 years ago, I was in the Altantic FBO in AUS when a TMC crew came in. They were very professional and didn't vent in the lobby, but they had just received an email that stated that effective IMMEDIATELY, all pilots were on a 15/13 schedule, and if they were on their last day to go ahead and add 7 days to their tours. Single moms, single Dads, those caring for a sick parent and must get home be damned!

The TMC Pilots have followed the proud American tradition of rising up to say "no more". The Netjets pilots did this years ago, and every other fractional pilot owes them reverence for "storming the beaches" and setting a standard of industry pay and QOL. Actually, ALL pilots owe Netjets pilot a debt of gratitude.

My only concern is that the TMC Pilots will allow themselves to fall for the union busting consultants that TMC will retain for $500,000, who come in with their free Hooter's hot wing parties playing videos of how bad unions are. If TMC Management was to be trusted, this union card drive and NMB certification/election would have never have happened.

And Shady, a better analogy would have been that bin Laden would have never let himself get killed if he knew Seal Team 6 was on their way...

WAY TO GO, TMC Pilots!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014

I people are unhappy at TMC, why don't they leave? Go to another job.

This is just as absurd as fast food workers voting in a union and asking for $15/hr. If you want to earn $15/hr, go get a job that pays $15/hr. If no one will pay you $15/hr, that means that you are not worth that money.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Lightbulb Amazingly Short Sighted, Above

Originally Posted by AboveAndBeyond View Post

This is just as absurd as fast food workers voting in a union and asking for $15/hr. If you want to earn $15/hr, go get a job that pays $15/hr. If no one will pay you $15/hr, that means that you are not worth that money.
Amazingly Short sighted, Above.

The reason that we call the Majors, the Majors, is because their pilots did the same thing that the TMC pilots are doing now, 83 years ago... They stood up against what would now be considered bottom feeder Part 135 management tactics and fought for 83 years to get and keep what they have now, starting with safety. Netjets used to be a crappy place to work before their pilots fought to make their company a better place better to work. While we're at it, AMERICA used to be a third world country with slavery, indentured servitude, debtors prisons, women locked in factories, and kids chained to sewing machines. I would recommend Upton Sinclair's The Jungle to get an idea of how life in America was before the workers rose up against the Robber Barrons and helped to create the American Middle Class.

If everyone in America had followed your above logic, America would still be a Bangladesh-like third world nation. When American Labor rose, America rose and the Robber Barrons did just fine after the Depression. Today, nobody blinks an eye when CEO's demand billions in stock options and millions in pay more than their front line workers, but God forbid any of these minimum wage pawns rise up and ask for more money. Sure, there is a limit to what a McDonald's employee should make, just as there is a limit as to what a McDonalds CEO should make. Unfortunately, there are plenty of minions trying to maintain and improve managements pay and QOL, but very few fighting to improve the lives of their front line workers.

Starting a union is the right of most American workers, and fighting to keep one off their property is the right of the American companies. Companies regularly decide to keep a union off the property by simply improving pay and QOL of their workers. This too, is the American way. FlexJet did this years ago, and good for them. They were smart unlike management at TMC. Same with Southwest, who embraced their unions.. So really, TMC Management really will be the ones responsible if the Union is certified there. And then, it will be a long, arduous task to get a contract, and improve on that one, and the next. And thus, this was how the majors were created...
Old 11-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2014
Position: Phenom

I've got an interview with TMC in a couple of weeks. Any new gouge over what's already been posted before as to what to expect on the written test or sitdown interview portion?
Old 11-19-2014, 08:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: the right side

Originally Posted by AboveAndBeyond View Post

That's rich, coming from someone who has a user name clearly from Ameriflight, which is a place that desperately needs a union.