Southern Airways Express

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Southern Airways Express

Old 05-23-2019, 04:39 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2018

Originally Posted by chanse895 View Post
You will be on the hook for a $8k one year training contract if you don’t take the Mesa Program route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does anyone know if the same $8k penalty applies if one doesn't take the
new SkyWest Program Route?

Thank you for your time!
Old 05-23-2019, 07:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: B777 CA

Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
SAE is paying the FO 12.00 per hr for the first six month block then 18.00.
Does anyone know if the contract is in place before ground training? FOs do get assigned a domicile after ground training as I understand it.
Do FOs usually move to assigned domiciles or do they commute?
It is kind of overwhelming when one considers FO pay, signing contract, plus not knowing if you will be assigned to the Gulf Region or Mid Atlantic Region till after ground training.
Judy did say she is reasonably sure one can get assigned to the region desired but no guarantees.
The following is from my friend who I mentor. I strongly recommended he go to Southern and he took my advice. He was hired at 1000 hours and as now upgraded to CA. He gave me permission to post the following:

I believe that the low-time FO contract timeline countdown begins when they start to fly the line, but I don’t know for sure. For me, hired as an “FO-> quick upgrade to CA at 1000 hours, my timeline countdown begins once I start flying the line as a CA. And the contract is signed no later than the beginning of Indoc, and is effective as of the date-of-hire.

For the Mid-Atlantic pilots at bases with a single shift, the typical duty day is scheduled for 13 hours, with various degrees of layover at PIT. Bases which have two shifts result in shorter duty days.

The 4/4 schedule is an organizational goal, not a guarantee; however, the goal is usually achieved. When I did TDY out of PBI two months ago, the schedule there was structured as 5/3. They’ve since gone to two shifts at PBI, so I’m not sure about the current scheduling there.

Newly-hired FOs typically do get assigned to a Mid-Atlantic base, but if they indicate a higher preference for a Gulf base, and if openings(s) exist at the time, it can happen. Base assignment happens towards the end of Indoc.

My friend said to me, “You were spot-on correct when you suggested to me that SAE represents an ideal beginning to a professional pilot career. The boxes which get checked off are turbine time, hand-flying down low in the WX, into and out of high-traffic-density airports, >50 NM XC time, CRM, and of course Scheduled 135 line-flying experience. The Caravan is an excellent aircraft for transitioning from the typical light GA fleet, to the typical 121/135/91 fleet which might be subsequently flown.”

The only experience that SAE doesn’t provide is Multi-Engine, but all that is currently required by most Regionals is 25 hours of Multi, so a good play is to follow the advice which you provided to me: obtain the Commercial ME, build some ME PIC time by renting a light twin with another pilot with similar time-building needs, and fly under-the-hood in VMC. This allows for expense-sharing, as well as both pilots logging PIC time (within the Safety Pilot constructs).

I would also offer that SAE has an excellent overall organizational culture. It’s a pleasant place to work, in spite of the grueling schedule. There is good esprit de corps among the pilots. I highly recommend SAE to anyone looking to start their professional pilot career.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:38 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2019

How hard is it to get based in Memphis?
Old 05-23-2019, 01:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: B777 CA

Originally Posted by DudeBro View Post
How hard is it to get based in Memphis?
From talking to my friend most new hires get based in Mid Atlantic and with some time as openings occur (lots of turnover due to upgrades and those moving onto regionals eventually (less ten 6 months my guess) you’ll get it.

Occasionally some do get based in Gulf region right away.

Last edited by Boeing Aviator; 05-23-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:46 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Does anyone know how long it might take them to reply? I get that they won’t reply to everyone as they have a lot of applications but I had a referral so was hoping that might help and just wondering how long I should probably wait before I assume it’s a no. It’s only been a week so far so not too long. I also got an automated email on Monday saying it’s in the process of being reviewed, does that mean a person has actually looked at it or just a standard auto message that my application is in the system?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2019, 06:27 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Position: Navigator, Commercial Student Pilot

I see SAE flys to Destin. Can you be based here or do the sorties originate from either Tampa or Memphis?
Old 05-23-2019, 07:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

So, SAE vs Air Choice One (ACO) Which one is better?
Old 05-23-2019, 07:12 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2018

Originally Posted by robss View Post
Does anyone know how long it might take them to reply? I get that they won’t reply to everyone as they have a lot of applications but I had a referral so was hoping that might help and just wondering how long I should probably wait before I assume it’s a no. It’s only been a week so far so not too long. I also got an automated email on Monday saying it’s in the process of being reviewed, does that mean a person has actually looked at it or just a standard auto message that my application is in the system?

Thanks
It takes patience.. when I interviewed she was filling 3 months worth of classes (4 per class until further notice) with one week worth of interviews.. but they’re going to start hiring more when mokulele officially mergers here soon
Old 05-23-2019, 07:29 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Originally Posted by Jump pilot 17 View Post
It takes patience.. when I interviewed she was filling 3 months worth of classes (4 per class until further notice) with one week worth of interviews.. but they’re going to start hiring more when mokulele officially mergers here soon
You had one weeks worth of interviews, or she just spent a week interviewing everyone? Also, how long was it for you from applying until interview?
Old 06-06-2019, 11:48 AM
CFI

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: RIGHT

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator View Post
From talking to my friend most new hires get based in Mid Atlantic and with some time as openings occur (lots of turnover due to upgrades and those moving onto regionals eventually (less ten 6 months my guess) you’ll get it.

Occasionally some do get based in Gulf region right away.
As far as you know (and maybe a question for your friend) if you get a mid-atlantic base (lancaster) with low hours (300) and at 1200 you upgrade, but when the upgrade comes you have to move to Destin. And then another move to say Detroit with Skywest when you get to 1800.

What I am saying is, someone with a family, this is 3 if not potentially 4 moves in a short period of time. This is where the struggle is. I get the QOL will improve, but this experience might be very hard on a family.

Long are the days where I can live in my car or drive wherever I need to. Neither can I leave my family for 1 to 1.5 years at her parents until I get to a Regional. This is the real challenge. Maybe that is were the CFI route might have a better QOL - somewhat...

Will a place like SAE work with their pilots to place them as FO's and upgrade to CA within the same domicile?