SkyWest ?’s

Subscribe
249  299  339  345  346  347  348  349  350  351  352  353  359  399  449 
Page 349 of 518
Go to
Anyone have a recommendation for a five star crash pad around IAH?
CRJ vs ERJ
What are the pros/cons of the CRJ and the ERJ in terms of the planes and/or the routes? Particularly out of ORD, if anyone has that experience.
Quote: What are the pros/cons of the CRJ and the ERJ in terms of the planes and/or the routes? Particularly out of ORD, if anyone has that experience.
crj200 has short routes. 700 has longer routes. ERJ generally has longer routes than the CRJs. More CRJs in ORD and about triple the pilots compared to the ERJ.
Quote: What are the pros/cons of the CRJ and the ERJ in terms of the planes and/or the routes? Particularly out of ORD, if anyone has that experience.
ERJ>auto throttles/brakes/VNAV some longer routes and fewer legs per day for some pairings. Oh yea, engines under wings, looks like mainline, cruises slow.
CRJ>You must move thrust levers/stomp on brakes/you tell the plane when to descend. Shorter legs in UA and DL system, T/O and land several times a day. Cruise .74/.77/.80
Quote: crj200 has short routes. 700 has longer routes. ERJ generally has longer routes than the CRJs. More CRJs in ORD and about triple the pilots compared to the ERJ.
Quote: ERJ>auto throttles/brakes/VNAV some longer routes and fewer legs per day for some pairings. Oh yea, engines under wings, looks like mainline, cruises slow.
CRJ>You must move thrust levers/stomp on brakes/you tell the plane when to descend. Shorter legs in UA and DL system, T/O and land several times a day. Cruise .74/.77/.80

Thanks. Much appreciated.
Quote: Thanks. Much appreciated.
What others have said. The biggest drawback with the CRJ is going to be the soft pay. Any time you get paid that is not actual flying it will be at the 200 rate. This does not exist on the 175 since we only have one type.
So all reserve, cancellation, dh etc is 200 rate.
My recommendation is to start on the CRJ, get that time in, get to learn to fly a jet and then transition over to the ERJ. I believe this will make you a much better pilot.
I did just this, started at SkyWest in January 2017, upgraded to the CRJ in 2018. Flew Aspen and Eagle. Eventually in 2020 i transitioned over the ERJ. First 6 months i was based in DTW and then i was based in ORD.

Here is a motivator for you, 5 years of flying at SkyWest...

Quote: ERJ>auto throttles/brakes/VNAV ........... cruises slow.
Correction. Can cruise slow... as slow as .68 to make money or cut into your airport appreciation time, but can cruise at .80 to get home early.
Not nearly as slow as it's reputation..... which is based on the way quite a few fly it.
.68 has the PLIs active while .80 can cause an overspeed in rough air or mountain wave
Quote: What others have said. The biggest drawback with the CRJ is going to be the soft pay. Any time you get paid that is not actual flying it will be at the 200 rate. This does not exist on the 175 since we only have one type.
My recommendation is to start on the CRJ, get that time in, get to learn to fly a jet and then transition over to the ERJ. I believe this will make you a much better pilot.
I did just this, started at SkyWest in January 2017, upgraded to the CRJ in 2018. Flew Aspen and Eagle. Eventually in 2020 i transitioned over the ERJ. First 6 months i was based in DTW and then i was based in ORD.

Do you think it’s better to transition then upgrade (like your path) Or transition/upgrade at the same time. If given that opportunity. Thx in advance.
Quote: Do you think it’s better to transition then upgrade (like your path) Or transition/upgrade at the same time. If given that opportunity. Thx in advance.
I actually upgraded on the CRJ and then transitioned, I believe that to be the better path. You get to fly more and control your schedule more. The ERJ is much more senior. You will be a line holder in the CRJ much faster and build more time.
Quote: What others have said. The biggest drawback with the CRJ is going to be the soft pay. Any time you get paid that is not actual flying it will be at the 200 rate. This does not exist on the 175 since we only have one type.

Quote: I actually upgraded on the CRJ and then transitioned, I believe that to be the better path. You get to fly more and control your schedule more. The ERJ is much more senior. You will be a line holder in the CRJ much faster and build more time.
Thanks for sharing. So CRJ is the way to go (or at least start off) if you're looking to fly the paint off the planes?
249  299  339  345  346  347  348  349  350  351  352  353  359  399  449 
Page 349 of 518
Go to