Hand Flying policy

Subscribe
3  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 
Page 13 of 20
Go to
Quote: I have no idea why there wern't more violations with over 1500 727's flitting around. How did they do that?
The STAR's didn't have as many speed and altitude restrictions as they do now. There was typically one speed and one altitude to meet; not 10 all the way down.

Plane Coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN41LvuSz10
Children of the Magenta AAMP
Quote: The STAR's didn't have as many speed and altitude restrictions as they do now. There was typically one speed and one altitude to meet; not 10 all the way down.

Plane Coffee
I have yet to meet a STAR or SID which isn't very easy to hand fly. The problem isn't complexity, it's shutting tfu and paying attention to everything going on. Very easy to do.
Quote: The NW crew did not have to recover anything. They simply flew the aircraft.
Thanks! By "they simply flew the aircraft" do you mean they did nothing and the problem fixed itself? Am correct in assuming the Northwest crew was better trained since they were able to recover?
Quote: Yup. I did the guy's recurrent who was PF during the incident. When it happened, he just held her level, same power setting and about 2.5 degrees of pitch. about the time they started to figure out what was going on, everything recovered. Which is exactly what would have happened with AF447 had he not pitched to 17 degrees up (!!!!) at FL350.
That's pretty impressive! Was the Northwest crew better trained than the Air France crew?
Quote: That's pretty impressive! Was the Northwest crew better trained than the Air France crew?
They were much more experienced with a lot more time hand flying.
Quote: They were much more experienced with a lot more time hand flying.
Then the difference in outcome between Northwest 8 and Air France 447 makes sense.
Quote: I have yet to meet a STAR or SID which isn't very easy to hand fly. The problem isn't complexity, it's shutting tfu and paying attention to everything going on. Very easy to do.
Fairly reasonable statement, except not every avionics suite is top notch...which may require a bit more hands-on attention.
Friend of mine sent this to me.
Once you're hooked on automation, can you turn back?:
https://www.flyingmag.com/technique/...s-steam-gauges
Quote: They were much more experienced with a lot more time hand flying.
They grew up and learned their trade hand flying airplanes. They did not learn their trade in a simulator with the autopilot on.
3  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 
Page 13 of 20
Go to