Atlas / Southern

Subscribe
22  72  112  118  119  120  121  122  123  124  125  126  132  172  222 
Page 122 of 326
Go to
Quote: Hi all,
I have read a lot on the Atlas threads and I know it is fleet dependent but I was curious if it is possible to live outside the US, say Asia, and start your flying out there? Or would you need to start in the US?
Thanks in advance..
All lines show you starting and ending in your base. But some lines start with a DH from your base. Normally the company will just buy you a ticket straight from your gateway airport to wherever the plane is. Gateway travel only applies to a list of US airports so you would be responsible for getting to your gateway. That being said, we have pilots living outside the US. Pilots can volunteer for open time prior to their trip to try to get something headed back to the US. And I’ve heard flights from MNL or BKK to HKG are relatively cheap and folks would buy a ticket and DH into Anchorage on a company plane.
Quote: All lines show you starting and ending in your base. But some lines start with a DH from your base. Normally the company will just buy you a ticket straight from your gateway airport to wherever the plane is. Gateway travel only applies to a list of US airports so you would be responsible for getting to your gateway. That being said, we have pilots living outside the US. Pilots can volunteer for open time prior to their trip to try to get something headed back to the US. And I’ve heard flights from MNL or BKK to HKG are relatively cheap and folks would buy a ticket and DH into Anchorage on a company plane.
Now I’m trying to make sure I have a good grasp on Gateway airports. If you are a new hire and are based at CVG, but travel out of your gateway airport (Ex. ONT) to your trip/pattern does it eat into your 13 days off? I thought I understood how it works...
Quote: Now I’m trying to make sure I have a good grasp on Gateway airports. If you are a new hire and are based at CVG, but travel out of your gateway airport (Ex. ONT) to your trip/pattern does it eat into your 13 days off? I thought I understood how it works...

If you live in ONT you may just want to make that your base depending on what fleet you’re on. I think I see what you’re aiming at though. Yes, you can end up gatewaying on a day off. Pretty much guaranteed to gateway in the day before your pattern starts (on a day off). 9 times out of 10 you’ll get home on the last day of your pattern (a work day). On the 76 at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote: Now I’m trying to make sure I have a good grasp on Gateway airports. If you are a new hire and are based at CVG, but travel out of your gateway airport (Ex. ONT) to your trip/pattern does it eat into your 13 days off? I thought I understood how it works...
Yes commuting to/from base is done on your off time. That’s why 17 days is more like 19-20 depending on your gateway. Because you also need to show up at base with enough time for rest. No showing up at base a couple hours before showtime for work.
Even more days than that if you are doing a split pattern. 2 days on either side of each pairing. So now you are looking at 20-21 away from home.
Quote: Yes commuting to/from base is done on your off time. That’s why 17 days is more like 19-20 depending on your gateway. Because you also need to show up at base with enough time for rest. No showing up at base a couple hours before showtime for work.
Even more days than that if you are doing a split pattern. 2 days on either side of each pairing. So now you are looking at 20-21 away from home.
To be fair, what line you bid has a lot to do with this. If you live in a base, even better. You always have the option of not using gateway and getting your self to work. I have done that many times and saved a lot of time sitting in a hotel. It’s at your own risk obviously if you turn down a paid ticket.
Thanks guys - appreciated. Yeah I’ll be a 767 guy so I’m hoping the wait to get awarded ONT isn’t too long. I’m sure if it takes a bit the wait is worth it to be 767 ONT for a Riverside County Pilot!
Quote: Thanks guys - appreciated. Yeah I’ll be a 767 guy so I’m hoping the wait to get awarded ONT isn’t too long. I’m sure if it takes a bit the wait is worth it to be 767 ONT for a Riverside County Pilot!

ONT is junior. You should be good to go bud. Welcome aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote: All lines show you starting and ending in your base. But some lines start with a DH from your base. Normally the company will just buy you a ticket straight from your gateway airport to wherever the plane is. Gateway travel only applies to a list of US airports so you would be responsible for getting to your gateway. That being said, we have pilots living outside the US. Pilots can volunteer for open time prior to their trip to try to get something headed back to the US. And I’ve heard flights from MNL or BKK to HKG are relatively cheap and folks would buy a ticket and DH into Anchorage on a company plane.
Thanks for the info. Trying to see if living abroad for a few years would still able to work.
How long from phone interview to class date right now? Anyone recently go through it all?
Would one need to apply to both the Widebody FO opening and the 737 FO opening to be considered for both?
22  72  112  118  119  120  121  122  123  124  125  126  132  172  222 
Page 122 of 326
Go to