Council 44 Recall

Subscribe
5  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 
Page 15 of 22
Go to
Quote: It seems counterproductive to stretch out a pay scale to 30 years, prolonging the wait to reach max pay, to stroke the egos of those who have been here longer. All it accomplishes is lower career earnings as you wait two decades to hit the higher rungs of the ladder.

Don’t give them any ideas with a 30 year pay scale....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Quote: Don’t give them any ideas with a 30 year pay scale....

Not my idea, it sounds terrible. Someone likes to suggest it because they’re on here to promote ideas that serve only themselves at the expense of everyone else.
Quote: Don’t give them any ideas with a 30 year pay scale....

No joke. That would be a bigly concession.
Quote: Not my idea, it sounds terrible. Someone likes to suggest it because they’re on here to promote ideas that serve only themselves at the expense of everyone else.

I’m sorry that wasn’t directed at you, jamesbond was the one who should be ashamed of even typing that out.

Since nobody asked the question and no clarification was given.(that I saw)...

I could be for a 30 year payscale that starts at the A350 scale Capt & FO for years 1-10 and then adds 4 or 5% every year for years 10 and up to 30...but why stop there.....make it for every year employed.

That sounds pretty reasonable to me....what would be the problem with that?

Assumptions are fun aren't they?
Quote: I didn't say it was. It is very simple. It doesn't matter what airplanes they buy. We shouldn't care. We have a payscale. If they want to buy an entire fleet of 747s or 717s, it. doesn't. matter. I have been here 30 years. I should make more than a guy that has been here 10. If I have been here 30 years and my copilot has been here 30 years, I still make more because he is in the right seat. If you insist on injecting aircraft size into the equation, management loves you, and you and I have nothing further to say because you will never get it. Don't ***** about money and QOL. You are getting exactly what you want.

Okay, so you acknowledge that A220 flying isn’t the same job as A350 flying in the same way that being a captain is not the same job as being an FO. You also think that captains should be paid more than FOs, so logically flying an A350 should pay more than an A220, but you’re willing to abandon that so management can buy whatever airframes they want and you still get paid?

In the first place I’m sure you can admit that is utterly inconsistent logic. Secondly, do you think the company is willing to pay all captains the A350 rate? If not, you have to justify the dilution of the top end of the pay scale by reasoning that there will be more captains getting the lower top rate longer so it will come out even in the long run. The issue with that is you have to compare that to a snapshot in time, and we don’t know what a future fleet plan might look like.

I get where you’re coming from, but the problem this would solve just creates more problems.
Quote: Since nobody asked the question and no clarification was given.(that I saw)...

I could be for a 30 year payscale that starts at the A350 scale Capt & FO for years 1-10 and then adds 4 or 5% every year for years 10 and up to 30...but why stop there.....make it for every year employed.

Distributive bargaining.

As a result, all we are discussing is yet another way of taking money from the junior pilots and giving it to senior pilots. Sure it will be very popular until anyone sees what the starting pay rates would be if you did that.

The current system of longevity raises, then a position bump, then bidding power works, balanced by a quality of life kicker just when you are burned out enough and the family time worth making another choice for seems to work and it fits into the common sense justification of "productivity."

Most foriegn carriers with no effective collective bargaining system and much lower pay do use a 5 year scale. They pay their international pilots slightly more than we pay flight attendants and work them even harder. Management would love that arrangement. Thanks for bringing it up.
Quote: Since nobody asked the question and no clarification was given.(that I saw)...

Age discrimination, what if you are older when you get hired?
Quote: Age discrimination, what if you are older when you get hired?
Can't the same argument be used now?

BTW...I think Hawaiian is paid this way(for the most part)....that is why the young guys fry the international and the more senior fly the island hops...or so I've been told)
Quote: Distributive bargaining.

As a result, all we are discussing is yet another way of taking money from the junior pilots and giving it to senior pilots. Sure it will be very popular until anyone sees what the starting pay rates would be if you did that.
Actually what I put forth would increase everybody's pay day one....why would you be against that?
5  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 
Page 15 of 22
Go to