NYC transportation advice

Subscribe
3  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 
Page 13 of 17
Go to
Quote: Junior widebody FO in NYC (I assume you're excluding the 7ER as I am) was in one of the most recent newhire classes. Definitely not 5 years. And before everyone gets all bent out of shape about the 765s bidpack, the junior lineholders in May are holding 6 day LHRs.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I’m an Airbus snob so I was only looking at the 330
Quote: I would NOT live in NY and commute somewhere else, that would make zero sense.
agree 100%.

I would never live there under any circumstance, but for someone who does, no other base, for any length of time, makes any sense.
What are some of the reasons people don't want to live in NYC as it compares to other bases?
Quote: What are some of the reasons people don't want to live in NYC as it compares to other bases?
cons
Mega expensive rent, high taxes, ****-hole, horrendous traffic, no criminal enforcement, pay $$$ to park, have to cover all 3 airports (issue for commuters)

pros
best restaurants, people watching, city never sleeps, EVERYthing is available - "if you can't get it there, it aint worth having"

Lived there 20 yrs - loved it, no other place like it on the planet
left 22 yrs ago - can't make me move back in at gunpoint
(pls don't delta I am schizo)
Quote: Junior widebody FO in NYC (I assume you're excluding the 7ER as I am) was in one of the most recent newhire classes. Definitely not 5 years. And before everyone gets all bent out of shape about the 765s bidpack, the junior lineholders in May are holding 6 day LHRs.
Add to that...the junior lineholders are new hires who aren't finished with training.
Quote: What are some of the reasons people don't want to live in NYC as it compares to other bases?
Property tax and general housing cost. Looking at $20k/year in property tax, $40k closing costs. That gets passable to decent schools and an older home about 1h no traffic from LGA. The same house would be half the price, closer to the airport, $5k in taxes, negligible closing costs with better schools in other parts of the country.
Quote: cons
Mega expensive rent, high taxes, ****-hole, horrendous traffic, no criminal enforcement, pay $$$ to park, have to cover all 3 airports (issue for commuters)

pros
best restaurants, people watching, city never sleeps, EVERYthing is available - "if you can't get it there, it aint worth having"

Lived there 20 yrs - loved it, no other place like it on the planet
left 22 yrs ago - can't make me move back in at gunpoint
(pls don't delta I am schizo)
This is spot on. He left out the fact that there are potholes every three feet in the pavement and driving here is like riding a pregnant yak. It'll ruin your suspension in three months if you're lucky. Also, everyone drives 90 mph in a 55 and they'll try and run you over ever chance they get. The MET is pretty much unmatched though, so there's that.
You can live in queens and pay low property tax, don’t have to drive to work or ever fight traffic unless you want to, never mow a lawn again, travel the world on a whim, eat good cheap food.

Claim your primary primary residence as a cheap condo in FL and avoid the high income taxes. If you rent in NY they’ll never try to track you down like CA
Quote: You can live in queens and pay low property tax, don’t have to drive to work or ever fight traffic unless you want to, never mow a lawn again, travel the world on a whim, eat good cheap food.

Claim your primary primary residence as a cheap condo in FL and avoid the high income taxes. If you rent in NY they’ll never try to track you down like CA
How's the Forest Hills/Rego Park area?
Quote: How's the Forest Hills/Rego Park area?
forest hills is nice. Convenient. Houses are expensive. Apartments and condos/coops can be very reasonable by NYC standards. Elementary school is good.

don’t know much about Rego Park
3  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 
Page 13 of 17
Go to