Ameriflight

Subscribe
348  398  438  444  445  446  447  448  449  450  451  452  458  498  548 
Page 448 of 567
Go to
Quote: How has the ABQ operation adjusted to that? I'm a former amf pilot who was based there and the loading (i.e 100% on the pilots) of the Chieftains specifically was a common source of...umm..tension between pilots (mostly tdy's) and the UPS "loaders".
We worked with UPS and they now have two people coming out - a driver and a helper typically. It came down to communicating that we wanted our pilots to be pilots and not have to handle cargo. UPS has made a commitment to making that happen and the transition has been pretty smooth so far with us being able to communicate any issues effectively.
Quote: We worked with UPS and they now have two people coming out - a driver and a helper typically. It came down to communicating that we wanted our pilots to be pilots and not have to handle cargo. UPS has made a commitment to making that happen and the transition has been pretty smooth so far with us being able to communicate any issues effectively.
What chain of custody is in place if the loaded load incorrectly? Is UPS training these drivers and helpers to properly load a given aircraft? I would imagine the pilot would still be canned if the plane was loaded incorrectly because they have the ultimate responsibility. Seems like a dangerous liability.
Quote: What chain of custody is in place if the loaded load incorrectly? Is UPS training these drivers and helpers to properly load a given aircraft? I would imagine the pilot would still be canned if the plane was loaded incorrectly because they have the ultimate responsibility. Seems like a dangerous liability.
Always have to try to go negative, eh Jetlife?

The pilot is still responsible for how it is loaded. As in how much freight goes in each bay. UPS is responsible for the manual labor portion. If you just say "Load 'er up!" then you are a fool.
Quote: Always have to try to go negative, eh Jetlife?

The pilot is still responsible for how it is loaded. As in how much freight goes in each bay. UPS is responsible for the manual labor portion. If you just say "Load 'er up!" then you are a fool.
Its not about being negative, it is about the way responsibility is placed. No training, no oversight. UPS lies and puts 500 extra pounds of cargo in a bay and drops the tail. Who gets in trouble?

It is an honest question, but given your response, I can see the old guard alive and well.
Quote: What chain of custody is in place if the loaded load incorrectly? Is UPS training these drivers and helpers to properly load a given aircraft? I would imagine the pilot would still be canned if the plane was loaded incorrectly because they have the ultimate responsibility. Seems like a dangerous liability.
The pilot supervises the loading for weight and balance reasons.
If we take a delay or cancellation because the pilot believes the job to have been done incorrectly, we do not blame the pilot and instead will likely put him in our safety spotlight.
What's the pay for the captain accelerated program on the BE99? Same as the Captain or same as E120 F/O?
Quote: What's the pay for the captain accelerated program on the BE99? Same as the Captain or same as E120 F/O?
Here's the pay layout:
While an FO in the program - $31,000
While a restricted Captain in the program - $44,000
While a regular unrestricted Captain in the program - $44,000
sounds good, i've sent in my app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
What chain of custody is in place if the loaded load incorrectly? Is UPS training these drivers and helpers to properly load a given aircraft? I would imagine the pilot would still be canned if the plane was loaded incorrectly because they have the ultimate responsibility. Seems like a dangerous liability.

The pilot supervises the loading for weight and balance reasons.
If we take a delay or cancellation because the pilot believes the job to have been done incorrectly, we do not blame the pilot and instead will likely put him in our safety spotlight.

I would think that the pilot would/should want to supervise the loading, I know I did, when I flew package freight. Do you want to trust your life and aircraft to an unknown person that UPS may just have hired who may be totally unfamiliar with airplanes?
Quote: Here's the pay layout:
While an FO in the program - $31,000
While a restricted Captain in the program - $44,000
While a regular unrestricted Captain in the program - $44,000
Is there crew housing in the bases? Meaning are there apartments where single crew members can get an apartment or house together or something like that?
348  398  438  444  445  446  447  448  449  450  451  452  458  498  548 
Page 448 of 567
Go to