Tool of the day

Subscribe
140  190  230  236  237  238  239  240  241  242  243  244  250  290  340  740 
Page 240 of 1239
Go to
Quote: Must have been a big problem for them to have the hood up.

Probably just the...Fan Belt!
Quote: Ten minutes in the McDonalds ball crawl is a better workout than 30 minutes on the hotel treadmill.

Scientific fact.
Just brought back a memory....

Had an overnight that didn't have any food nearby. The van driver offered to take us through the drive thru on his way back to the airport to pick up a PSA crew. I decided to order extra food for the inbound crew since we would be packing Mickey D's with these guys in the van and I thought it lousy not to have enough to go around since they'd have to smell it and might be hungry.

Crew gets it, I hand two out of three individual bags with a burger / fries or whatever it was to very appreciative crewmembers who hadn't eaten in a while. Third guy curtly tells me "I don't eat that crap". Um..... OK dude......
Quote: ...TOTD, the crew member who gave an awesome inflight passenger briefing to a very full cabin concerning eta, weather, gate info, etc. Well it was 0600 (0525 departure), still not quite dawn yet, and a 200nm flight, as in the weather isn't worth mentioning because it's exactly the same. Dude... let em sleep.

Every airline has them.

The "company men" who make it their life's mission to not only do everything "by the book", but to make a point of demonstrating to you that they do everything by the book at every opportunity. These tools have every letter and punctuation mark of the FOM memorized; with the notable exception of the words "judgment" and "discretion".

(For example, the tool that tries to taxi a heavy airplane out of an alley on a 100-degree day on one engine, because "the book" [written by tools who never fly the line] says you're supposed to single-engine taxi.)

And at most airlines, there seems to be a greater number of these lemmings concentrated at certain domiciles.

So I'm riding in the back of a trans-con red-eye one night. Every time we would encounter so much as a ripple, Capt. Weenie would turn the seat belt sign on, and make the obligatory announcement required by the FOM when manipulating the seat belt sign.

And as soon as it would smooth out again, he would turn the sign off, and then make that obligatory announcement. He must have done this at least a half-dozen times during the flight.

On a (bleep)ing red-eye!

(I won't say what carrier this was, but when I told the story to a buddy who flies for that company, he immediately responded, "'Must've been a Bubba from [a particular domicile].")
Quote: Probably just the...Fan Belt!
I was thinking the radiator.
I think I'm going to start using a new defense against the proselytizing captain:

"I only discuss _____ with people I'm trying to nail. And you don't look like you put out."
deleted

10 characters
(For example, the tool that tries to taxi a heavy airplane out of an alley on a 100-degree day on one engine, because "the book" [written by tools who never fly the line] says you're supposed to single-engine taxi.)

Isn't that what the APU is for?

And as soon as it would smooth out again, he would turn the sign off, and then make that obligatory announcement. He must have done this at least a half-dozen times during the flight.

Maybe he was new? I flew with a new CA the other day, and he did exactly the same thing. You could tell he was trying to do everything right. I didn't have the heart to tell him he was over-doing it.
Quote: He had a pocket "Book of Mormon" that he'd read between legs in first class.
Between who's legs?
Airline Training School - a Journal

yeah. I... wow.

-80ktsClamp
Airline Captain
Quote: Airline Training School - a Journal

yeah. I... wow.

-80ktsClamp
Airline Captain
I need to write me one of those on my next 4-day.
140  190  230  236  237  238  239  240  241  242  243  244  250  290  340  740 
Page 240 of 1239
Go to