Being contactable - Part 91

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 7
Go to
I'm considering leaving my current airline job for a full time corporate position, but I have a couple concerns I need to address first. Hopefully somebody here can help me understand what the industry standard is for being contactable while not on a trip.

This will be for a family that only uses their current aircraft about 250 hours a year and usually knows the schedule months in advance. I have been working part time with them for the last 5 years and there have only been a few pop up trips. They are taking delivery of a larger aircraft in a few months that will need a full time crew.

I was thinking about writing something up in a contract that would specify how contactable I would need to be. For example, always be able to return a call within x hours and be within y hours of the airport. I would also include language to allow for some days that are completely free from all contact (vacation days).

Is this normal or am I completely out of line thinking I can have a life away from the cell phone with this job? I'm curious how others do it.
Quote: I'm considering leaving my current airline job for a full time corporate position, but I have a couple concerns I need to address first. Hopefully somebody here can help me understand what the industry standard is for being contactable while not on a trip.

This will be for a family that only uses their current aircraft about 250 hours a year and usually knows the schedule months in advance. I have been working part time with them for the last 5 years and there have only been a few pop up trips. They are taking delivery of a larger aircraft in a few months that will need a full time crew.

I was thinking about writing something up in a contract that would specify how contactable I would need to be. For example, always be able to return a call within x hours and be within y hours of the airport. I would also include language to allow for some days that are completely free from all contact (vacation days).

Is this normal or am I completely out of line thinking I can have a life away from the cell phone with this job? I'm curious how others do it.
I think this is a great idea!
I probably wouldn't go as far as getting it in writing. Just make sure you set the boundaries before taking the job.
How are you going to enforce this "contract" ? quit ?
The answer is simple. You'll have tons of time off, so apart from vacation, be accessible. That's why you're there.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. As soon as I posted this, I realized what a dumb question it was. It's just a completely different type of flying than the airlines and it is new to me. I'm used to living by a contract that defines everything I do. I've got a lot to learn, but I'm starting to see the big picture. So far, I'm liking the change.
not a dumb question at all. maybe the getting it in writing was a little farfetched. this should really be discussed over a lunch meeting with the boss or having alot of history on the operation. this could be in your ops manual, if you develop one.
Quote: The answer is simple. You'll have tons of time off, so apart from vacation, be accessible. That's why you're there.
Exactly! And if you do a great job of taking care of a family like this it will sometimes reap additional/unexpected rewards. Just never forget you are still the hired help... Good luck!
Quote:
Quote: The answer is simple. You'll have tons of time off, so apart from vacation, be accessible. That's why you're there.
Exactly! And if you do a great job of taking care of a family like this it will sometimes reap additional/unexpected rewards. Just never forget you are still the hired help... Good luck!
Good points. I will be discussing the details with the owners sometime next week. I appreciate your feedback.
[QUOTE=autopirate;1684805]I'm considering leaving my current airline job for a full time corporate position, but I have a couple concerns I need to address first. Hopefully somebody here can help me understand what the industry standard is for being contactable while not on a trip.

Is this normal or am I completely out of line thinking I can have a life away from the cell phone with this job? I'm curious how others do it.[/QUOT

More people need to do that. I have worked in a family owned operation and because the last sucker let them walk all over the pilots that is what is expected... Giving the owners all the leverage will make you be a slave to the plane and always be on call with no hard days off. My old corporate boss always said "a day not flying is a day off". BS! If I cant go golfing and drink a few beers because I might have to fly then IM NOT OFF! Please make them pay you a fair salary! If they have the dough to buy a big jet they can pay you.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 7
Go to