Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: DA50EX

Originally Posted by BelowMins View Post
No actually it's the worst thing about Cape Air.
Must be new.. The mocha injection hasn't worn off yet
Old 03-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: A-320 FO

Originally Posted by BelowMins View Post
No actually it's the worst thing about Cape Air.
That will all depend upon where you live, and where they need you I would suspect.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:58 AM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Oh c'mon guys, haven't you always wanted to live in Ft. Leonard Wood?? I bet you can find a 4 month lease there for CHEAP.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Pros:

Rent where I am is $175/mo, no lease, not including utilities
Real world flying experience
It's fun
There's a lot of great people here (and a few not so great)

Cons:

I get paid $9/hr
I have no senority
The health benefits aren't great and are expensive...especially on FO pay
I'm not in the union
No upgrade for me for another year and a half (and then it's only more prop time)

My last day is next week. I was offered a job elsewhere. Yes I like it here, and it will be bittersweet. Definitely a great fall-back option, but at my age, I want to get paid more and get on a senority list with a jet (for career reasons).
Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Floatin' down the river in a old tube smilin'

Originally Posted by Crism View Post
I get paid $9/hr
I have no senority
The health benefits aren't great and are expensive...especially on FO pay
I'm not in the union
No upgrade for me for another year and a half (and then it's only more prop time)

My last day is next week. I was offered a job elsewhere. Yes I like it here, and it will be bittersweet. Definitely a great fall-back option, but at my age, I want to get paid more and get on a senority list with a jet (for career reasons).
Can't say I blame you. There has been lots of grumbling about people quitting without giving much notice lately, but when your making 16,380 dollars a year, I wouldn't expect much from someone when a better opportunity comes up. I would still give notice if you can, but I wouldn't bypass or delay a good one either because you can not give 2 weeks notice. Giving two weeks notice is the professional and right thing to do, when possible, it sounds like you were able too, well done.

Cape Air would retain pilots better if they paid a livable wage. Even as a Captain in the North your base is only 27,300 dollars a year in the North ($15 x 35 hr wk guarantee = 525 week. 525 x 52= 27300 yr) . Yes, there are ways to make more money, and some lines pay better, but that is the base. Pay some rent, medical insurance, student loans etc and there is no way your putting away for retirement or saving to purchase a house and start a family on that wage, which is truely the important stuff in life. You might even find yourself in the negative. You would be hard pressed to find another "regional" that pays Captains that low of a guarantee. This needs to be addressed, otherwise I think that 9K will find it hard to staff during the upcoming pilot hiring boom, and a mass exodus is already well under way. I want to see the company suceed, and in order to suceed you need to be able to retain pilots.

With that said, there are many many many pros to flying for Cape Air: Good, friendly management that works with you typically, not against you, unquestioned PIC authority for safety decisions, some fun destinations, the 402 is fun to fly, they put forth a good effort to try to stay on top an aging fleet, great training, Cape Air looks great on the resume, just to name a few. Unfortunately for many people though, they can't afford to stay there. Management knows this, and as long as you did your job there well, and give notice when it is time to leave, they are likely to pat you on the back and say good luck to you on your way out. And if you ever need to come back, they are likely to have you back, which can be great when the pilot markey turns south, like it often does, and you find yourself needing a job.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by FlyingChipmunk View Post
I smell sarcasm....
Is that what that smell is? I thought it was just me, I'm a stinky boy today, been working on the farm all day.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: CE-560XL Left Seat

Originally Posted by Way2Broke View Post
Can't say I blame you. There has been lots of grumbling about people quitting without giving much notice lately, but when your making 16,380 dollars a year, I wouldn't expect much from someone when a better opportunity comes up. I would still give notice if you can, but I wouldn't bypass or delay a good one either because you can not give 2 weeks notice. Giving two weeks notice is the professional and right thing to do, when possible, it sounds like you were able too, well done.

Cape Air would retain pilots better if they paid a livable wage. Even as a Captain in the North your base is only 27,300 dollars a year in the North ($15 x 35 hr wk guarantee = 525 week. 525 x 52= 27300 yr) . Yes, there are ways to make more money, and some lines pay better, but that is the base. Pay some rent, medical insurance, student loans etc and there is no way your putting away for retirement or saving to purchase a house and start a family on that wage, which is truely the important stuff in life. You might even find yourself in the negative. You would be hard pressed to find another "regional" that pays Captains that low of a guarantee. This needs to be addressed, otherwise I think that 9K will find it hard to staff during the upcoming pilot hiring boom, and a mass exodus is already well under way. I want to see the company suceed, and in order to suceed you need to be able to retain pilots.

With that said, there are many many many pros to flying for Cape Air: Good, friendly management that works with you typically, not against you, unquestioned PIC authority for safety decisions, some fun destinations, the 402 is fun to fly, they put forth a good effort to try to stay on top an aging fleet, great training, Cape Air looks great on the resume, just to name a few. Unfortunately for many people though, they can't afford to stay there. Management knows this, and as long as you did your job there well, and give notice when it is time to leave, they are likely to pat you on the back and say good luck to you on your way out. And if you ever need to come back, they are likely to have you back, which can be great when the pilot markey turns south, like it often does, and you find yourself needing a job.
well said!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: 9K CA

Originally Posted by Way2Broke View Post
Cape Air would retain pilots better if they paid a livable wage. Even as a Captain in the North your base is only 27,300 dollars a year in the North ($15 x 35 hr wk guarantee = 525 week. 525 x 52= 27300 yr) .
To be quite honest, I don't exactly think Cape Air is too concerned about whether or not changing pay would retain pilots. As you said, they do have an excellent attitude about people coming and going, but they counter that by viewing the bottom half of the seniority list as transient employees. Can't really blame them though; who is interested in making a career out of flying a 402 for $15-20/hr while living in constantly changing outstations?

That being said, I do wonder how they will attract enough pilots to fill the spaces that are going to be opening. With the regionals' mins plummeting, why would a recent grad with $100,000 of debt choose 16,500/yr for SIC piston time? Especially when interns are getting a better deal than full-time FOs...

I think Cape Air is an excellent stepping stone, and I am enjoying working here (minus the locale). But it will be interesting what happens when the pilots run out.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by vtbvtdk View Post
To be quite honest, I don't exactly think Cape Air is too concerned about whether or not changing pay would retain pilots. ........ But it will be interesting what happens when the pilots run out.
That is my point exactly, it may not be a concern right now, but it is going to be a big concern real soon if pay is not addressed. Company culture is not enough to attract or retain a pilot when everyone is hiring.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Just wanted to let you all know that the interns out here are making more than first year Captains.

Base FO pay = $9/duty hour

Interns get: Paid hotel, Paid rental car, AND $35 per diem per DAY.

7 days a week x $35 = $245.

$245 / 40 hours (average) per week of duty = $6.13/hr

$9/hr + $6.13/hr = $15.13/hr + car + hotel. I'm not sure but they probably get gas reimbursed too.

Ain't that interesting.