Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Floatin' down the river in a old tube smilin'

Originally Posted by NightIP View Post
I always enjoyed getting "stuck" in St. Thomas for 3-4 hours. Pack a pair of swim shorts in your little day bag, and go to the beach.

Crap, now I miss Cape Air. I'm getting verklempt!
Doesn't really happen anymore. Everything is out stationed, including STT. We were part of a awesome Winter in the Carib when most people were SJU based, and people threw awesome parties on the beach with DJs and tikis.

Those days were awesome!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: SA227, left seat

Originally Posted by Way2Broke View Post
Doesn't really happen anymore. Everything is out stationed, including STT. We were part of a awesome Winter in the Carib when most people were SJU based, and people threw awesome parties on the beach with DJs and tikis.

Those days were awesome!
Do you know if they hire FOs to be based in SJU?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: 9K CA

Originally Posted by jcrews View Post
Do you know if they hire FOs to be based in SJU?
I won't say that getting based in SJU as a new hire FO is impossible because it would probably happen just to prove me wrong, but......it won't happen.

We need FOs in the STL region because they are required by our American codeshare, and they are dropping like flies. Currently we have interns covering and getting TDY pay (which works out to more than first year captain pay, btw) so any new FOs will definitely be coming out here.

On the plus side, since you are required on all legs in STL you will build flight time much faster than in New England where you might get bumped if a flight is full (barring a broken autopilot).
Old 04-15-2011, 08:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

So how about that Tecnam P2012?
Old 04-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: A-320 FO

Originally Posted by rocketman3746 View Post
So how about that Tecnam P2012?
Dave Bushy made the announcement Wednesday, he was quite pumped over the whole deal. A piston twin makes sense in the short haul, low level market,
there's just been nothing available up until now, well 10 years from now to build and certify the aircraft. There's a mockup from the show:Aero 2011 General Aviation Expo - Germany
Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: A-320 FO

Originally Posted by vtbvtdk View Post
I won't say that getting based in SJU as a new hire FO is impossible because it would probably happen just to prove me wrong, but......it won't happen.

We need FOs in the STL region because they are required by our American codeshare, and they are dropping like flies. Currently we have interns covering and getting TDY pay (which works out to more than first year captain pay, btw) so any new FOs will definitely be coming out here.

On the plus side, since you are required on all legs in STL you will build flight time much faster than in New England where you might get bumped if a flight is full (barring a broken autopilot).
Six confirmed for the May 2 class, maybe seven F/O's. With the training backlog we'll be into the Fall bid pack before they come on line although I heard that a "Scott" was starting in the training dept. on Monday. I hope it isn't who I think it is!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by NightIP View Post
I always enjoyed getting "stuck" in St. Thomas for 3-4 hours. Pack a pair of swim shorts in your little day bag, and go to the beach.

Crap, now I miss Cape Air. I'm getting verklempt!
Just remember your days in RUT, and you won't miss it so much!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

Bump. Few questions but this thread is decently long to find out. If I tried to get on during the summer months going into fall are there pretty good chances of going to the Caribbean? What are the lines like in a a certain base? Can you change them up or do you just get one run and stick to it? Can someone give me an example? Just trying to feel Cape Air out. I think I would like it there. Also, what do most do for housing in the Caribbean being that it is temporary much of the time?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: 9K CA

Originally Posted by stis202 View Post
Bump. Few questions but this thread is decently long to find out. If I tried to get on during the summer months going into fall are there pretty good chances of going to the Caribbean? What are the lines like in a a certain base? Can you change them up or do you just get one run and stick to it? Can someone give me an example? Just trying to feel Cape Air out. I think I would like it there. Also, what do most do for housing in the Caribbean being that it is temporary much of the time?
Well, no one else is going to answer, so I'll take a hack at it.

Disclaimer: I haven't been based in the Carib, so all of that info is word of mouth.

If I tried to get on during the summer months going into fall are there pretty good chances of going to the Caribbean?
Depends. Everything depends on what they need when you finish training, which may be very different from what they need when they call you for class. I was told that I would be needed in the Carib when I was hired, but instead most of the people in my class ended up in the MidWest. That being said, there is lots of flying all over for people and depending on what kind of schedule you are willing to accept (see below) you might find yourself in one of the Carib bases when the snow starts falling.

What are the lines like in a certain base?
Lines vary widely. We have the following kinds of lines: 4on/4off rotating, 3.5on/3.5off fixed, 5on/2off fixed, 4on/5off rotating, 3on/3off rotating, TDY. At Cape Air, since we are outstation based, you first bid on a base, then on lines. Your seniority in base can vary widely depending on where you are. As a very junior person in the company, I had a high in-base seniority over the winter because I was at a very junior base. If I was in a more senior place, I would have had last choice. In the Carib, you might get SJU, but have a crappy line, or you might go to VQS (for example) and get weekends off. It all depends. TDY is Temporary Duty and you basically go around covering for people. You have a set schedule on the bid sheet (usually a 5on/2off) but when you go to cover for someone, you assume their schedule for the time you are there.

Can you change them up or do you just get one run and stick to it? Can someone give me an example?
Historically there were just a couple bids per year and when you were assigned a base and line you flew it for the season. Nowadays it looks like they are doing a lot more rotation of people from base to base and line to line, mostly because of attrition. If you are in a base that you want, you will likely fly the same run (RKD-BOS, for example) but your days on/off might changed depending on your seniority within that base. If you are in a base you want to get out of, you might be able to move if someone else leaves the place you want to go. Cape Air has a more efficient vacancy bid system now, so when people leave there is a lot of shuffling.

What do most do for housing in the Caribbean being that it is temporary much of the time?
Can't say that I know much about this one, but people generally share houses/apartments and pass around a bunch of beater cars from year to year...

Finally, the last thing I'll add, the Carib is good for a first year Captain because there is a $3/hr override and the weekly minimum is 40 hrs instead of 35. Makes that check hurt a little less!
Old 06-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

Thanks, appreciate the info.