Notices

Alaska Air Hiring

Old 10-08-2017, 05:28 PM
  #2501  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2013
Posts: 648
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I can't imagine why any major would want pilots with less than 3K, unless they have 2K of fighter time.
Does 2000 hours of fighter time make someone better at flying a 737 with another pilot, than say, someone who has been flying regional jets for 2000 hours?
echelon is offline  
Old 10-08-2017, 05:42 PM
  #2502  
Line Holder
 
Ronin47's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: Captain
Posts: 89
Default

Originally Posted by Qotsaautopilot View Post
I'm running into more and more pilots wondering when airlines are going to drop the 4 year degree. Just get one! Deep down I don't necessarily believe that a 4yr degree makes you successful or not in life but if you got into this career you knew that the good jobs required a degree.
Not everyone has $100,000 to **** away on student loans for a degree in basket weaving. I agree, If you have the time and money then by all means get a degree and educate yourself in something besides aviation. Anything, business, computers, management, etc. That being said. A degree never helped me land a large jet in a 30kt crosswind in a snowstorm at night. But apparently the airlines don't care. They want a degree over flight time and or experience. I'm sure their passengers would love to know that when the chips are down and the weather sucks that you have a 1,500 wonder boy in the right seat with a degree in Psychology.
Ronin47 is offline  
Old 10-08-2017, 06:48 PM
  #2503  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Narrow/Left Wide/Right
Posts: 3,655
Default

Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
Not everyone has $100,000 to **** away on student loans for a degree in basket weaving. I agree, If you have the time and money then by all means get a degree and educate yourself in something besides aviation. Anything, business, computers, management, etc. That being said. A degree never helped me land a large jet in a 30kt crosswind in a snowstorm at night. But apparently the airlines don't care. They want a degree over flight time and or experience. I'm sure their passengers would love to know that when the chips are down and the weather sucks that you have a 1,500 wonder boy in the right seat with a degree in Psychology.
Luckily in my state, you can stay at home and earn a degree from the state college in town for about $30K if you did nothing but take out loans, so the $100K seems a bit rich for a standard psychology degree.
full of luv is offline  
Old 10-08-2017, 07:21 PM
  #2504  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 39,512
Default

Originally Posted by echelon View Post
Does 2000 hours of fighter time make someone better at flying a 737 with another pilot, than say, someone who has been flying regional jets for 2000 hours?
Not necessarily in every case. But the lowest common denominator is MUCH higher in fighters than in RJ's, so it's more of a known quantity. The RJ guy will have a an advantage in 121 knowledge and perhaps crew coordination (but fighters rarely fly solo, their buddy is just 30+ feet away instead of three feet away). Fighter pilots are almost assuredly on the accomplished and motivated end of the personality spectrum, while regional pilots are all over the map on that.

Also fighter time is almost all busy time. 2000 hours in an RJ really means maybe 500 hours of flying and 1500 hours of USA today.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 10-08-2017, 07:22 PM
  #2505  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,904
Default

Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
Not everyone has $100,000 to **** away on student loans for a degree in basket weaving. I agree, If you have the time and money then by all means get a degree and educate yourself in something besides aviation. Anything, business, computers, management, etc. That being said. A degree never helped me land a large jet in a 30kt crosswind in a snowstorm at night. But apparently the airlines don't care. They want a degree over flight time and or experience. I'm sure their passengers would love to know that when the chips are down and the weather sucks that you have a 1,500 wonder boy in the right seat with a degree in Psychology.

What a ridiculous argument. If you want to make arguments like that, I'd say that by skipping a 4-yr college degree you got a 4-yr headstart in an industry that is based on seniority. (As in you already leaped the rest of us 4 yrs with that gamble of a headstart).

Just get the degree. It's not 100k unless you want it to be. You can get it online and a fairly decent low cost.
ShyGuy is offline  
Old 10-08-2017, 07:24 PM
  #2506  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,904
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Not necessarily in every case. But the lowest common denominator is MUCH higher in fighters than in RJ's, so it's more of a known quantity. The RJ guy will have a an advantage in 121 knowledge and perhaps crew coordination (but fighters rarely fly solo, their buddy is just 30+ feet away instead of three feet away). Fighter pilots are almost assuredly on the accomplished and motivated end of the personality spectrum, while regional pilots are all over the map on that.

Also fighter time is almost all busy time. 2000 hours in an RJ really means maybe 500 hours of flying and 1500 hours of USA today.
Plus, a 2000 hr fighter jet time means an entire career in the military. Fighter jet time doesn't add up that quick, or even close to how quick civilian RJ time adds up as.
ShyGuy is offline  
Old 10-08-2017, 07:27 PM
  #2507  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2013
Posts: 648
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Fighter pilots are almost assuredly on the accomplished and motivated end of the personality spectrum, while regional pilots are all over the map on that.
That's a good point
echelon is offline  
Old 10-08-2017, 08:35 PM
  #2508  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2017
Posts: 659
Default

Originally Posted by echelon View Post
Does 2000 hours of fighter time make someone better at flying a 737 with another pilot, than say, someone who has been flying regional jets for 2000 hours?
Hahahahahahahaha
Peacock is offline  
Old 10-08-2017, 10:16 PM
  #2509  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2011
Posts: 170
Default

Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
Not everyone has $100,000 to **** away on student loans for a degree in basket weaving. I agree, If you have the time and money then by all means get a degree and educate yourself in something besides aviation. Anything, business, computers, management, etc. That being said. A degree never helped me land a large jet in a 30kt crosswind in a snowstorm at night. But apparently the airlines don't care. They want a degree over flight time and or experience. I'm sure their passengers would love to know that when the chips are down and the weather sucks that you have a 1,500 wonder boy in the right seat with a degree in Psychology.
Just get the degree or enjoy life an airline that doesnít require one. Donít ***** because an airline has a standard and you donít meet them. I went to a state university and it was only $2,000 a year in tuition. Keep making excuses about how itís $100k, and I can see why you donít have a degree.
waterboy is offline  
Old 10-08-2017, 10:52 PM
  #2510  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2011
Posts: 784
Default Alaska Air Hiring

The old college degree topic strikes again. If you want a job at the big D, get a degree. If you donít and you have less than 3k TT, welcome to the second tier airlines!

We all know a degree has no bearing on flying skills, itís just a requirement for some companies. Heck, if I remember correctly the CA from 3407 had a degree.....
OCCP is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vagabond
Hangar Talk
1
05-03-2011 05:44 PM
joel payne
Foreign
4
04-23-2009 01:38 PM
vagabond
Major
31
04-15-2009 08:51 AM
vagabond
Aviation Law
10
09-20-2008 12:50 PM
vagabond
Major
19
06-15-2007 06:29 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices