Notices

Alaska Air Hiring

Old 10-11-2017, 06:32 PM
  #2531  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2007
Posts: 268
Default

When someone starts spouting “national” I read it the same as “lizard people”. It just misses the mark on how things get done. ALPA National is an awesome support structure, and an advocate for the profession as a whole. But all politics is local is true. Each group determines what they’ll accept. At AS, we’ve sadly accepted 92% for so long our management believes they’re entitled to it. WE have to change their minds. Not national, not the MEC. US.
Thrill is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:41 PM
  #2532  
Gets Weekends Off
 
pause's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Frenchy plane/ Left
Posts: 338
Default

Originally Posted by Just a Lurker View Post
You're spot on. But it will never happen. Those residing above 13 Coins are too entrenched and skilled at the bureaucracy to ever let go of their grip. And the VX MEC has no backbone. They'll be swept aside for business as usual soon enough.
Ha. No backbone?? Uhhhhhhhh ok. Keep telling yourself that
pause is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 11:54 PM
  #2533  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,703
Default

The primary architect of Alaska's contract becomes an Alaska Legend and isn't he on the committee for the JCBA for the AS side? If that's true then what more do you need to know.
ShyGuy is offline  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 AM
  #2534  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2007
Posts: 268
Default Bad intell

Shy, not sure what you’ve “heard” but no one on the AS side of the JCBA is a legend.

Are you referring to MR, who is retired?
Thrill is offline  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:56 AM
  #2535  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2015
Posts: 158
Default

Interesting points.....but can we keep this off the Hiring thread? I'd like some Seniority....and a bigger pilot group which will have more power.
MiLtoMajor123 is offline  
Old 10-12-2017, 05:18 PM
  #2536  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2015
Position: a cushy one with a forward facing window
Posts: 114
Default

Originally Posted by Thrill View Post
When someone starts spouting “national” I read it the same as “lizard people”. It just misses the mark on how things get done. ALPA National is an awesome support structure, and an advocate for the profession as a whole. But all politics is local is true. Each group determines what they’ll accept. At AS, we’ve sadly accepted 92% for so long our management believes they’re entitled to it. WE have to change their minds. Not national, not the MEC. US.
Absolutely correct, the virgin pilots and MEC is very upset with things and if it is thought that we are weak boy oh boy will there be an eye opener. Most virgin pilots are from places that treated the rank and file so poorly they are no longer in business. There is a wdgac attitude and it is growing. Just look at the performance for the **** poor fifty scratches a month. We don’t give a c about it and the performance shows. 90% of us have been there done that
and are more than willing to let angle lake fail in spectacular fashion. Pilot demand is very high and the leadership is to snow blind to see it.
busbusbaby is offline  
Old 10-12-2017, 08:47 PM
  #2537  
Gear handle manipulator
 
Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: B-737 First officer
Posts: 246
Default

Originally Posted by GearBoy View Post
Wynncompany,

I understand. No one likes to hear that their baby is ugly.

It's very simple. IMO, Nothing's changed there, at Alaskan Airways. The very fact that Alaska is yet again beholden to arbitration says it all. IMHO, Alaska would have already had a negotiated contract if during negotiations:

Alaska pilots did not fly Premium/VSA/time-and-a-half
Alaska pilots did not sell back vacation
Alaska pilots did not work on vacation
Alaska pilots did not work on days off
Alaska pilots did not build their lines up to 117 max

It's an unwritten rule that you do not do things like these during negotiations. Jeff Parker @ American did not do the "right thing" out of the goodness of his heart. He saw the writing on the wall. American pilots spelled it out to him.

You are only as strong as your union. What people forget is that the Union is not an MEC or a negotiating committee. The Union is the pilot in the seat next to you. If he or she is flying premium or VSA during negotiations, the Union is weak. By that definition, the union at Alaska is VERY, VERY weak, then and still now.

Companies, including Alaska, only understand a few things. They understand canceled flights, delayed flights, and increased training costs due to pilots leaving for greener pastures. Right or wrong, you do not get the contract you deserve. You get the contract you demand. Right or wrong, it is the reality under the RLA. (BTW, Where are the completion and on-time rates at Alaska? At Virgin?)

No, things have NOT changed at Alaska. It's the same thing all over again.

No matter the outcome of your arbitration, it'll only decide a few items. Alaska pilots will still be stuck with the same crappy work rules and lack of QoL at an airline with the longest list of unsettled grievances. They'll be facing openers in just two years, openers and section six negotiations with the same disingenuous approach from management.

As far as your ad hominem attacks against me, I will not respond in kind. I never have gone there. I will not start now. I refuse to stoop. However, in response to your latest attack, I will only repeat along the lines of what I said last time:

Take a deep breath. Take another bite of your PayDay candy bar and wash it down with another swig of Kool-aid. Heck, finish them both. Alaska has plenty more where that came from; because, Brad Tilden, the Cooch and Tom Kemp love you long time.

Lastly, Don't worry about me. Living well is the best revenge.
Drop the ****** Mike! This should be required reading for everyone on the property and getting hired. Well Said! Sad but oh so true...
SmoothLanderJ is offline  
Old 10-13-2017, 08:12 AM
  #2538  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2005
Position: 737 Capt
Posts: 55
Default

Originally Posted by ThePlaneSaidSo View Post
Links??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Probably best to get from a VX/AS Pilot contact.
HangOn is offline  
Old 10-14-2017, 10:40 PM
  #2539  
missionary
 
GearBoy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2013
Position: Right seat 787 or missionary
Posts: 77
Default wrong, wrong, wrong

Originally Posted by EskimoJoe View Post
Arbitration is on the table thanks to ALPA merger Policy, not the Alaska Pilot group. There was never a choice not to use arbitration in this process. It was predetermined by ALPA National.
Eskimo-schmo,

You are wrong, plain and simple. The reason you're in arbitration is because negotiations failed.

Why did your negotiations fail? Because there was no real reason for your company to come to the table. Completions rates and on-time performance was in the 90's. Why fix what isn't broken?

In the end, your company didn't have to come to the table because Alaska pilots didn't make them. Many Alaska pilots sat passively, waiting and hoping for their company to do the right thing. Still many more greedily fed at the trough, trading away everyone's chance at any real gains for their selfish short-sighted $hort-term profit. In both cases, there was no need for your company to seriously come to the table.

Gordon Gekko was right. Greed is good. Especially if you're management-

Last edited by GearBoy; 10-14-2017 at 10:41 PM. Reason: typo
GearBoy is offline  
Old 10-14-2017, 11:08 PM
  #2540  
missionary
 
GearBoy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2013
Position: Right seat 787 or missionary
Posts: 77
Default Island of the Misfit Toys is in the PNW

Originally Posted by MiLtoMajor123 View Post
Interesting points.....but can we keep this off the Hiring thread? I'd like some Seniority....and a bigger pilot group which will have more power.
That's just it. Perspective hires are the ones that need to read this the most. They need to know what they're getting themselves into at Alaska. An educated decision-

Bigger pilot group does not necessarily equate to more power, especially if the island is filled with even more misfit toys-

Ironically, things probably won't get better there until Alaska yet again has problems attracting and retaining, just like when b-scale went away.

In the meantime, get ready for a lowering of hiring qualifications and a streamlining of the hiring process. That's my prediction. College? Grades? Sim ride? Total time? PIC turbine? Interview process? Application windows? They're going to do whatever it takes to get as many minimally qualified pilots through the pipeline before the supply dries-up. A minimally experienced yet barely qualified is NOT what the average pilot wants to sit next to. But, it is good enough for management, a warm butt in the seat-

My prediction is for more misfit toys on your island.

Last edited by GearBoy; 10-14-2017 at 11:14 PM. Reason: typo
GearBoy is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vagabond
Hangar Talk
1
05-03-2011 05:44 PM
joel payne
Foreign
4
04-23-2009 01:38 PM
vagabond
Major
31
04-15-2009 08:51 AM
vagabond
Aviation Law
10
09-20-2008 12:50 PM
vagabond
Major
19
06-15-2007 06:29 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread