Notices

Alaska Air Hiring

Old 08-12-2020, 09:33 PM
  #4621  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,535
Default

I have a friend who got the call from Alaska saying, yea...about that job offer...never mind. But hey, you can reapply if you like.

American hasnít told their folks with job offers who are awaiting class to reapply. Those pilots have simply been told that when hiring resumes, theyíll be offered a class. Itís a classless move on Alaskaís part. Wgaf if SWA did it too? That doesnít make it any less slimy. But hey, bravo Alaska.
450knotOffice is online now  
Old 08-12-2020, 11:38 PM
  #4622  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 476
Default

Originally Posted by 450knotOffice
I have a friend who got the call from Alaska saying, yea...about that job offer...never mind. But hey, you can reapply if you like.

American hasnít told their folks with job offers who are awaiting class to reapply. Those pilots have simply been told that when hiring resumes, theyíll be offered a class. Itís a classless move on Alaskaís part. Wgaf if SWA did it too? That doesnít make it any less slimy. But hey, bravo Alaska.
I agree itís a ridiculous thing to do, but in all reality assuming Alaska survives there wonít be new hire classes for a very very long time.
flysnoopy76 is offline  
Old 08-13-2020, 07:37 AM
  #4623  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jan 2020
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by flysnoopy76
I agree itís a ridiculous thing to do, but in all reality assuming Alaska survives there wonít be new hire classes for a very very long time.
I think that is the point in Alaska choosing this route.
Kleinschmidt is offline  
Old 08-13-2020, 08:50 AM
  #4624  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 39,596
Default

Originally Posted by flysnoopy76
I agree itís a ridiculous thing to do, but in all reality assuming Alaska survives there wonít be new hire classes for a very very long time.
AS is more survivable than many other airlines. Worst case, you don't have to outrun the bear, just a couple of the other campers. Eventually the ranger will have to shoot the bear, although he might let it eat a camper or two first.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 08-13-2020, 10:37 AM
  #4625  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Posts: 278
Default

Originally Posted by 450knotOffice
I have a friend who got the call from Alaska saying, yea...about that job offer...never mind. But hey, you can reapply if you like.



American hasnít told their folks with job offers who are awaiting class to reapply. Those pilots have simply been told that when hiring resumes, theyíll be offered a class. Itís a classless move on Alaskaís part. Wgaf if SWA did it too? That doesnít make it any less slimy. But hey, bravo Alaska.
Alaska is not the only airline to do this. Was it a slimy move to bring that last class in when many other airlines drew their lines in the sand already?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
miker1 is offline  
Old 08-13-2020, 12:18 PM
  #4626  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2017
Posts: 218
Default

Alaska has gone above and beyond for our new hires. We brought on classes after it was obvious we were in a free fall, potentially avoided a single involuntary furlough with EILS, changed PBP metrics to still potentially pay out 6%. I'd say we've done great. UAL March 2nd class is an example of how to be a classless act. All of this has gone a long way to restoring pilot morale in my opinion.
ELAC321 is offline  
Old 08-13-2020, 02:28 PM
  #4627  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 476
Default

Originally Posted by ELAC321
Alaska has gone above and beyond for our new hires. We brought on classes after it was obvious we were in a free fall, potentially avoided a single involuntary furlough with EILS, changed PBP metrics to still potentially pay out 6%. I'd say we've done great. UAL March 2nd class is an example of how to be a classless act. All of this has gone a long way to restoring pilot morale in my opinion.
I totally agree with everything you posted above, but this idea that Alaska will not ultimately furlough is pretty shaky at best. We all got a bit of a stay of execution thanks to the unionís hard work, but the union can only do so much when the recovery is as tepid as it is so far.
flysnoopy76 is offline  
Old 08-13-2020, 04:06 PM
  #4628  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,809
Default

Originally Posted by flysnoopy76
I totally agree with everything you posted above, but this idea that Alaska will not ultimately furlough is pretty shaky at best. We all got a bit of a stay of execution thanks to the unionís hard work, but the union can only do so much when the recovery is as tepid as it is so far.
I think management is overly optimistic about the recovery, personally. Unless thereís flying planned that we arenít aware of, I donít know why they wouldnít have awarded more 24-month EILís. Makes the potential for future furloughs more likely.
ExperimentalAB is offline  
Old 08-13-2020, 06:06 PM
  #4629  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 39,596
Default

Originally Posted by ExperimentalAB
I think management is overly optimistic about the recovery, personally. Unless there’s flying planned that we aren’t aware of, I don’t know why they wouldn’t have awarded more 24-month EIL’s. Makes the potential for future furloughs more likely.
AS, SWA and a ULCC or two probably anticipate they will enjoy a faster recover than industry average, due to the nature of their flying. Possibly also at the expense of the big three. The AA boyz already think their domestic flying is being outsourced to AS and B6, and they might not be all wrong.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 08-26-2020, 08:04 PM
  #4630  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,905
Default

Not newhire, but if we are transition from Airbus to Boeing do they provide cockpit posters? What kind of materials do they provide when you show up (eg, any kind of study guide, oral question bank, etc)?
ShyGuy is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vagabond
Hangar Talk
1
05-03-2011 05:44 PM
joel payne
Foreign
4
04-23-2009 01:38 PM
vagabond
Major
31
04-15-2009 08:51 AM
vagabond
Aviation Law
10
09-20-2008 12:50 PM
vagabond
Major
19
06-15-2007 06:29 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices