Notices

Alaska Air Hiring

Old 10-15-2023, 09:24 PM
  #7581  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2022
Posts: 290
Default

Originally Posted by Disappointment View Post
Everyone knows you're a new hire, dont try to inflate your situation
ummm ok bro…nice try though.
FreqFlyer is offline  
Old 10-15-2023, 09:27 PM
  #7582  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2022
Posts: 290
Default

Originally Posted by Disappointment View Post
DO NOT commute to this job. The company and historical pilot group does not seek gains for commuters and schedules/contract do not offer much for them. If you choose to move to base, you'll have a much better time.

Keep in mind every new hire will be going to SFO and stuck there 2+ years. There are literally 10 retirements a year for the next decade, so just hope for more hiring to create seniority, not geezers coming off the top of the list.

If you get an offer from AA, take that. Or at a minimum come here and keep your apps out.



This is just marketing and recruiter BS, they put on a show and lie about upgrade times and future plans. The pilot group in the PNW is autistic, so dont expect much conversation, interaction, or layover fun. Just weirdos who are scared of FAs and cant make eye contact with some basic conversation or small talk during a trip.

Be objective about your goals and shoot for what's best for you.

You ever stop and think for a minute…that maybe it’s just you?

That’s not my experience, or the experience of anyone else at this pilot group. The fact that you can sit here and honestly say that kind of stuff about your fellow pilot group is lowly and pathetic. How about you get lost already, we’d all be better off without you a part of the group.
FreqFlyer is offline  
Old 10-16-2023, 10:20 AM
  #7583  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2022
Posts: 186
Default

AA pilots go out and party with their crews every layover. Just go look at their forums and see how opened minded and welcoming their pilot group is to all races and genders. They also positive space you from your home airport to base with a hotel both ways and pay you for your commute at 100% pay any credit.
Carebear is offline  
Old 10-16-2023, 10:24 AM
  #7584  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2022
Posts: 559
Default

Originally Posted by FreqFlyer View Post
You ever stop and think for a minute…that maybe it’s just you?

That’s not my experience, or the experience of anyone else at this pilot group. The fact that you can sit here and honestly say that kind of stuff about your fellow pilot group is lowly and pathetic. How about you get lost already, we’d all be better off without you a part of the group.
All of our pilots matter and no one should leave. They can choose to of course but we need to stop thinking this way.

I was hired in early 2018 and the Blackout Betty fallout had just begun. I flew with a lot of captains that “won’t talk to the FAs.” In many cases I had to act as an intermediary between the captain and the FAs. Lots and lots of examples of very socially awkward moments. A lot of my relatives are from the PNW so I understand how introverted and weird people from the area can be. It’s definitely reflected in our pilot group. It’s not such a bad thing but I feel like the expectation that fun is to be had on the road at Alaska isn’t necessarily a good one to have.

I also sorted through the SEA open flying lines for November 7 of 65 lines didn’t have a red eye. Run a reserve roster report. See how hard the jr people are working. I can’t blame them for leaving. I wish they wouldn’t. We must as an organization get away from “I had to suffer so you should too.” With the hiring options available we can’t run this way. Not anymore.

IMO PBS will be a disaster. It will allow an average line value of 85+2 and the TLV is 83. So if you’re in the bottom 50% you’re going to get unstacked. What’s going to get pushed onto your line as a junior pilot FAI and ANC red eye turns. So a lot of senior FOs will upgrade on the next bid expecting a great quality of life that they are already used to. Now they will be super upset and they will take it out on their JR FO… Perpetuating the vicious cycle

The money is good. It’s a stable job. The people are really nice but sometimes a little weird if you’re from a more social place like California. What we need to focus on is creating a culture that will treat new hires well. So they stick around. Not expect them to commute to red eye reserve where they are working over the guarantee and it’s going to take years to fly during the day and not commute. We should also honor commuters too. We largely don’t but it has improved since I started here. I’m not a commuter. However, I’d like to address the realities of the pilot market and see this airline grow. There is a lot of potential. But the first thing all of us need to stop is telling people to leave.
GoodJet is online now  
Old 10-16-2023, 01:40 PM
  #7585  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2022
Posts: 290
Default

Originally Posted by GoodJet View Post
All of our pilots matter and no one should leave. They can choose to of course but we need to stop thinking this way.

I was hired in early 2018 and the Blackout Betty fallout had just begun. I flew with a lot of captains that “won’t talk to the FAs.” In many cases I had to act as an intermediary between the captain and the FAs. Lots and lots of examples of very socially awkward moments. A lot of my relatives are from the PNW so I understand how introverted and weird people from the area can be. It’s definitely reflected in our pilot group. It’s not such a bad thing but I feel like the expectation that fun is to be had on the road at Alaska isn’t necessarily a good one to have.

I also sorted through the SEA open flying lines for November 7 of 65 lines didn’t have a red eye. Run a reserve roster report. See how hard the jr people are working. I can’t blame them for leaving. I wish they wouldn’t. We must as an organization get away from “I had to suffer so you should too.” With the hiring options available we can’t run this way. Not anymore.

IMO PBS will be a disaster. It will allow an average line value of 85+2 and the TLV is 83. So if you’re in the bottom 50% you’re going to get unstacked. What’s going to get pushed onto your line as a junior pilot FAI and ANC red eye turns. So a lot of senior FOs will upgrade on the next bid expecting a great quality of life that they are already used to. Now they will be super upset and they will take it out on their JR FO… Perpetuating the vicious cycle

The money is good. It’s a stable job. The people are really nice but sometimes a little weird if you’re from a more social place like California. What we need to focus on is creating a culture that will treat new hires well. So they stick around. Not expect them to commute to red eye reserve where they are working over the guarantee and it’s going to take years to fly during the day and not commute. We should also honor commuters too. We largely don’t but it has improved since I started here. I’m not a commuter. However, I’d like to address the realities of the pilot market and see this airline grow. There is a lot of potential. But the first thing all of us need to stop is telling people to leave.
I would borderline say we almost don’t work for the same company apparently….I will agree that we do have a fair amount of red-eye’s, but it seems on pair with most other places these days. Everything else seems grossly over exaggerated.

I don’t want anyone to leave, but if Disappointment is that miserable with their job, company, and co-workers, maybe everyone all around including them would benefit if they left. But believe me, and my posts speak for it…I want people here and to stay! It’s a good gig.
FreqFlyer is offline  
Old 10-16-2023, 04:06 PM
  #7586  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Position: A320 FO
Posts: 99
Default

Originally Posted by Turbosina View Post
I'm always willing to be educated. If you had the choice between let's say SWA and Alaska and AA, for example... Where would you go and why? Let's remove commuting as a consideration...
Well I know you didn't ask me, but since I've worked for two of the airlines you mentioned I'll interject. No base consideration: #1 AA, #2 AK and #3 SW. With PNW base consideration: #1 AK, #2 AA, and #SW. Sorry, but no matter how you look at it Southwest sucks.
Carlsbad is offline  
Old 10-16-2023, 07:10 PM
  #7587  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2022
Posts: 559
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Too big to fail.

Unless major global catastrophe, then all recent hires are furloughed anyway.

Suppose it's possible they could get into Ch.11 and have their contract adjusted. But that would be "industry average" per law, not rock bottom. And if AA wound up with big cost reductions, AS might see some of their one-world flying shifted to AA domestic fleets.
Too big to declare bankruptcy, again?

I'll never forget the call from one of my mentors, a pilot at American who asked me over the phone one night: "should I vote on this pay cut so we don't go bankrupt?" I was still in my 20's and the lost decade was going strong. I actually still remember telling him that he shouldn't accept that and the company will just take your money. The pilot's pay was cut and the entire board was given 7 million dollars each as a golden parachute. I'm not sure if I recall the exact numbers correctly but it was a massive pay cut for the pilots. They declared bankruptcy anyway. I know this is in the Alaska history too but bankruptcy will gut a pilot contract, historically speaking.
GoodJet is online now  
Old 10-16-2023, 07:22 PM
  #7588  
Living The Dream
 
Joined APC: Jan 2023
Posts: 88
Default

Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
AA pilots go out and party with their crews every layover. Just go look at their forums and see how opened minded and welcoming their pilot group is to all races and genders. They also positive space you from your home airport to base with a hotel both ways and pay you for your commute at 100% pay any credit.
I was curious about this positive space comment and checked out one of the American threads, it doesn't look like they get positive space. Am I missing something?

See this post and the full thread:
New Commuter Policy United vs American
907ANC is offline  
Old 10-16-2023, 07:24 PM
  #7589  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2019
Position: 757/767 CA
Posts: 255
Default

Originally Posted by 907ANC View Post
I was curious about this positive space comment and checked out one of the American threads, it doesn't look like they get positive space. Am I missing something?

See this post and the full thread:
New Commuter Policy United vs American
The post you quoted appears to be oozing sarcasm…
HostileCombover is offline  
Old 10-16-2023, 08:27 PM
  #7590  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2022
Posts: 559
Default

Originally Posted by HostileCombover View Post
The post you quoted appears to be oozing sarcasm…
Haha to put it mildly!
GoodJet is online now  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vagabond
Hangar Talk
1
05-03-2011 05:44 PM
joel payne
Foreign
4
04-23-2009 01:38 PM
vagabond
Major
31
04-15-2009 08:51 AM
vagabond
Aviation Law
10
09-20-2008 12:50 PM
vagabond
Major
19
06-15-2007 06:29 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices