Notices

[Breeze] Airways

Old 03-08-2023, 01:36 PM
  #3911  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2023
Posts: 290
Default

Originally Posted by sailingfun
The financials simply will not support huge raises. Breeze is burning cash. Avelo on the other hand has a very modest cash burn and should be profitable by summer. They would have already turned a profit had jet fuel not increased substantially. It appears their pilot strategy at Breeze is low pay and hire pilots with absolute minimum qualifications.
Not really. Management just told us this week we should be profitable by the end of the year, and if not, certainly by next year. There will be a pay raise effective April 1st. Question is are they serious about it. This is definitely a place to stay if the pay is right.
bluespoon is offline  
Old 03-08-2023, 02:56 PM
  #3912  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2016
Posts: 417
Default

Originally Posted by bluespoon
Not really. Management just told us this week we should be profitable by the end of the year, and if not, certainly by next year. There will be a pay raise effective April 1st. Question is are they serious about it. This is definitely a place to stay if the pay is right.

This raise will be the make or break decision for me. Anything less than JetBlue rates and there is a very big chance Iíll be dusting off my CRJ type or finding the highest bidder for my shiny new E190 type. Itís time to see who really needs a captains to cover their summer flying.
SEPfield is offline  
Old 03-09-2023, 05:56 AM
  #3913  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2021
Posts: 222
Default

Originally Posted by bluespoon
Not only this but the company has chosen the route of staffing the airline by hiring CFIs so that at least theyíll show up. Thatís great and all but the problem is theyíre coming in with zero experience to be flying E190s, A220s and doing charters. It means the Captains are about to be left with not only dealing with operational complicities but will also have to babysit their fellow pilot next to them indefinitely. It better be a huge pay raise or I can see big instability in the Captain ranks.
The problem with this model is not the babysitting. I can coach and mentor a cfi whose willing to learn all day. The problem is that these CFIís wonít be anywhere close to upgrading for another 2 years. Breeze will have to match B6 pay (highly unlikely) to attract DECís or they wonít be able to grow for lack of captains. Currently there isnít a pilot shortage but a captain shortage. In addition, the schedules are gonna have to be fenomenal going forward, otherwise attrition will continue to grow as the legacies get their new TAís. The current A220 flying is inhumane lol.
Swapapotamoose is offline  
Old 03-09-2023, 06:52 AM
  #3914  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2022
Posts: 475
Default

Originally Posted by SEPfield
This raise will be the make or break decision for me. Anything less than JetBlue rates and there is a very big chance Iíll be dusting off my CRJ type or finding the highest bidder for my shiny new E190 type. Itís time to see who really needs a captains to cover their summer flying.
go to GoJet
bonvoyage is offline  
Old 03-09-2023, 07:21 AM
  #3915  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Captain
Posts: 242
Default

Originally Posted by bonvoyage
go to GoJet
This isnít a constructive response. Breeze needs pilots and the cavalier if you donít like it go elsewhere argument doesnít help.
blueballs is offline  
Old 03-09-2023, 07:36 AM
  #3916  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2023
Posts: 290
Default

Originally Posted by Swapapotamoose
The problem with this model is not the babysitting. I can coach and mentor a cfi whose willing to learn all day. The problem is that these CFI’s won’t be anywhere close to upgrading for another 2 years. Breeze will have to match B6 pay (highly unlikely) to attract DEC’s or they won’t be able to grow for lack of captains.
Well who really wants to babysit? It’s not like they’ll have the usual learning they have to do at another airline, they have never been in an airline environment at all. The training department will pass them on to the line because they’re desperate for coverage and it will place an added burden on captains to really train them day to day. That could be enough to make captains bail without significant compensation. But yes 2 years minimum to get 1000 SIC. We came into flying and upgrading on turbo props and Barbie jets after sometimes years of being a first officer. Who really knows if they will even be comfortable upgrading with just 1000 SIC in this environment. Long term captain upgrades will be an issue. I really believe they can keep the first officers from leaving considering the massive upgrade and seniority growth opportunities and it would help all of us. However it will have to be a significant pay upgrade they’ll have to look forward to.
bluespoon is offline  
Old 03-09-2023, 10:14 AM
  #3917  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 19,402
Default

Originally Posted by blueballs
This isn’t a constructive response. Breeze needs pilots and the cavalier if you don’t like it go elsewhere argument doesn’t help.
If Breeze needs pilots they will pay market rates and have decent work rules. The problem is they currently are a financial train wreck. Avelo is right on the cusp of turning a profit with a low cash burn. Breeze needs to double ticket prices to break even. The question is can the Kneelman effect con investors into another round of equity investment.

“The climb out has not been without bumps, however. Airline industry news website Enilria.com pored over Breeze’s Transportation Department filings, and its report did not paint a pretty financial picture. Enilria says the filings show a negative 110% margin with a $37.9 million loss on $34.5 million revenues and $72.3 million in expenses in the third quarter of 2022.

“The revenue is staggeringly low,” Enilria wrties. “It cost Breeze $2.10 in expenses for every $1 of revenue. They have an Everest-sized mountain to climb by comparison, based on their own financial reporting.” Enilria also notes that “Breeze’s fuel bill alone has used up 60% of all their revenue in [the first three quarters of] 2022.”
sailingfun is offline  
Old 03-09-2023, 10:24 AM
  #3918  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2023
Posts: 290
Default

Originally Posted by sailingfun
If Breeze needs pilots they will pay market rates and have decent work rules. The problem is they currently are a financial train wreck. Avelo is right on the cusp of turning a profit with a low cash burn. Breeze needs to double ticket prices to break even. The question is can the Kneelman effect con investors into another round of equity investment.

“The climb out has not been without bumps, however. Airline industry news website Enilria.com pored over Breeze’s Transportation Department filings, and its report did not paint a pretty financial picture. Enilria says the filings show a negative 110% margin with a $37.9 million loss on $34.5 million revenues and $72.3 million in expenses in the third quarter of 2022.

“The revenue is staggeringly low,” Enilria wrties. “It cost Breeze $2.10 in expenses for every $1 of revenue. They have an Everest-sized mountain to climb by comparison, based on their own financial reporting.” Enilria also notes that “Breeze’s fuel bill alone has used up 60% of all their revenue in [the first three quarters of] 2022.”
That article does not represent an accurate picture of the actual financials. It does paint a picture of the financials at that time last year where the dynamics were very different for the operation. Those numbers are based on having pilots waiting on A220s not flying, and other very important factors which are pointless to get into. If you’re really concerned about breeze, all you need to know is that they told us we should be profitable by the end of the year and definitely by next year.
bluespoon is offline  
Old 03-09-2023, 10:28 AM
  #3919  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 19,402
Default

Originally Posted by bluespoon
That article does not represent an accurate picture of the actual financials. It does paint a picture of the financials at that time last year where the dynamics were very different for the operation. Those numbers are based on having pilots waiting on A220s not flying, and other very important factors which are pointless to get into. If youíre really concerned about breeze, all you need to know is that they told us we should be profitable by the end of the year and definitely by next year.
I have never heard a management team say anything else. Breeze has missed every single prediction they have made.
sailingfun is offline  
Old 03-09-2023, 04:00 PM
  #3920  
Line holder
 
symbian simian's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: On the bus,seat 0A
Posts: 3,289
Default

Originally Posted by sailingfun
I have never heard a management team say anything else. Breeze has missed every single prediction they have made.
IKR, what manager has ever said: "suggest you get your apps out, this place is a mess". It's always rainbows with pots of gold within reach, until it starts raining.....
symbian simian is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Frisky Pilot
Regional
20
01-01-2022 05:02 PM
Drums4life
Regional
107
08-16-2011 11:21 PM
ryane946
Major
25
03-06-2007 08:53 PM
RedBaron007
Major
3
01-31-2007 09:05 PM
RockBottom
Major
0
03-07-2005 11:04 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices