Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #11  
Gets Weekends Off
 
point80's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2020
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRJPilot View Post
I haven't seen anything official either, but they are operating under the assumption that they will receive the money.
How is this operating under the assumption? To me this looks like the preparation of a bunch of FOs on the street.
point80 is offline  
Old 04-26-2020, 08:16 AM   #12  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
BRJPilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2020
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnly7 View Post
Seriously.....you guys have to understand that the goal is to save the jobs in the long run....not save take home pay in the short run. But whatever....go ahead and burn through all that cash and shut the whole thing down even sooner 🤷🏻‍♂️ Uncle Sugarís bailout isnít gonna be able to sustain the status quo through all this. Adjustments have to be made.
Do you really think that saving cash now is going to protect anyone's job after September if the schedules going forward require reduced staffing?
BRJPilot is offline  
Old 04-26-2020, 08:16 AM   #13  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto2 View Post
Where exactly in the act does it state "published hourly rates". It just says "pay rate" in everything I've read. Getting your pay cut in half is certainly a change in one's pay rate. If the Act wasn't meant to protect people's historic take home pay, why did the application for the government money require applicants to document historic salaries?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pay%20rate

The purpose of requiring companies to give the government historic payroll expense was to determine the level of funding that was distributed. Going from a captain who maxed out their hours out last year to a first officer making reserve guarantee is a substantial reduction in take home pay, but the company didnít reduce any rates. Itís not always about the spirit of the law, but the actual wording. When the 14th Amendment was passed, the spirit and intent of the law was to give the recently freed slaves the rights of citizenship as a free people born into this country, not as property, as was the case before. Granting anchor babies citizenship never was their intent or within the spirit of the law, but it is within the actual text. I donít want to start some big political debate on immigration, this is just an example of the spirit vs what the law actually says.
Itsajob is offline  
Old 04-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #14  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by point80 View Post
How is this operating under the assumption? To me this looks like the preparation of a bunch of FOs on the street.

A bunch of pilots from every airline in the country are going to be on the street unless demand miraculously returns in the next 6 months.
Itsajob is offline  
Old 04-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #15  
Gets Weekends Off
 
piloto2's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2016
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsajob View Post
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pay%20rate

The purpose of requiring companies to give the government historic payroll expense was to determine the level of funding that was distributed. Going from a captain who maxed out their hours out last year to a first officer making reserve guarantee is a substantial reduction in take home pay, but the company didnít reduce any rates. Itís not always about the spirit of the law, but the actual wording. When the 14th Amendment was passed, the spirit and intent of the law was to give the recently freed slaves the rights of citizenship as a free people born into this country, not as property, as was the case before. Granting anchor babies citizenship never was their intent or within the spirit of the law, but it is within the actual text. I donít want to start some big political debate on immigration, this is just an example of the spirit vs what the law actually says.
​​​​​​

Definition of pay rate: the amount of money workers are paid per hour, week, etc.

When you change someones pay from $75/hr to $42 per hour, you changed their pay rate. No, it wasn't across the board for everyone, but it was a pay rate change for those impacted. Again, please show me where exactly in the act it states "published hourly rates".
piloto2 is offline  
Old 04-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #16  
Gets Weekends Off
 
piloto2's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2016
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by point80 View Post
How is this operating under the assumption? To me this looks like the preparation of a bunch of FOs on the street.
Yes, and that will likely happen in October. But the truth is that they are cutting pay rates for some right now, ahead of the date in the CARES act.
piloto2 is offline  
Old 04-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #17  
Gets Weekends Off
 
point80's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2020
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsajob View Post
A bunch of pilots from every airline in the country are going to be on the street unless demand miraculously returns in the next 6 months.
Except without the CARES ACT it will be a lot sooner. Again their has yet to be news that XJT is getting anything. He said they were operating under the assumption that they were. My question is how is moving people from the left seat to the right operating under that assumption?
Might want to read the entire discussion before chiming in with a pointless comment. But thanks for the input.
point80 is offline  
Old 04-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #18  
Gets Weekends Off
 
CaseTractor's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2014
Position: Pipers!
Posts: 265
Default

Whoever has the dumpster fire gif animation handy would do well to post it again to keep up the tradition
CaseTractor is offline  
Old 04-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #19  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 29,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRJPilot View Post
Do you really think that saving cash now is going to protect anyone's job after September if the schedules going forward require reduced staffing?
Not a chance in h3ll.

Regarding downgrades, many airlines will be doing that this summer to set the table for easy furloughs.

If it is determined that it's in violation of the CARES act, they'll simply pay protect the downgrades until 01 Oct. But I bet they try to make it a paycut and see what they can get away with.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 04-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #20  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
BRJPilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2020
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by point80 View Post
My question is how is moving people from the left seat to the right operating under that assumption?
Two separate things. The company believes that downgrading someone isn't a pay rate change. They can't do that across the board and they can't furlough at this point, but they are trying to save some money short term by effectively reducing the rate for some employees.
BRJPilot is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Remember 3407" Airline Labor Reform Act Da Magic Regional 33 05-18-2009 07:31 AM
Employee Free Choice Act naley70b Regional 5 11-06-2008 05:22 AM
PRIA And An Alaska Airlines Wannabe vagabond Aviation Law 10 09-20-2008 12:50 PM
To All UPS Flight Qualified Supervisors IPAMD11FO Cargo 53 02-12-2007 08:40 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:07 PM.