Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Foreign Airlines that hire U.S. pilots
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Posts: 998
Default New Norwegian News

Announced this afternoon. Most short haul pilot bases in Spain, FCO short haul base, the SWF and PVD 737 bases all closed. Long haul pilot bases in FLL, BKK, and AMS closed as well. The company says most affected crew will be offered transfers to other bases, or to the 787 operation. There will be a reduction in 737 operations, but the 787 operation will continue to expand. No word on if the U.S. based pilots will have other opportunities. Cabin crew bases in JFK, LAX, and FLL are unaffected. This is pouring gasoline on the fire regarding the IAG rumors. It has long been speculated that these are changes requested by IAG as part of the purchase deal.
NEDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEDude View Post
Announced this afternoon. Most short haul pilot bases in Spain, FCO short haul base, the SWF and PVD 737 bases all closed. Long haul pilot bases in FLL, BKK, and AMS closed as well. The company says most affected crew will be offered transfers to other bases, or to the 787 operation. There will be a reduction in 737 operations, but the 787 operation will continue to expand. No word on if the U.S. based pilots will have other opportunities. Cabin crew bases in JFK, LAX, and FLL are unaffected. This is pouring gasoline on the fire regarding the IAG rumors. It has long been speculated that these are changes requested by IAG as part of the purchase deal.
Great news. So all those contracted employees in the USA will now be looking for jobs. Let's see how that works for them.
PDRit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Posts: 998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDRit View Post
Great news. So all those contracted employees in the USA will now be looking for jobs. Let's see how that works for them.
It will probably work as well as it did for the guys who went to Freedom Air and GoJets. In other words just fine. People who do the hiring either don't care, or have long forgotten about it.
NEDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEDude View Post
It will probably work as well as it did for the guys who went to Freedom Air and GoJets. In other words just fine. People who do the hiring either don't care, or have long forgotten about it.
They wonít work at a legacy.
PDRit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Posts: 998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDRit View Post
They wonít work at a legacy.
Based on past history, they will have no issues.
NEDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEDude View Post
Based on past history, they will have no issues.
It depends on the airline. Itís not going to be a plus for them so they will need a strong resume otherwise. Most who went that route probably donít have a real strong resume in the first place. I donít think you will see very many snapped up by the majors. They are going to have to do a few years at a regional.
sailingfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captjns's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar
Posts: 4,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDRit View Post
They won’t work at a legacy.
Funny... reminds me of a statement of a clueless adolescent.
captjns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:10 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captjns's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar
Posts: 4,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
It depends on the airline. It’s not going to be a plus for them so they will need a strong resume otherwise. Most who went that route probably don’t have a real strong resume in the first place. I don’t think you will see very many snapped up by the majors. They are going to have to do a few years at a regional.
Wouldn’t bet the farm on your opinion sailingfun... Many of my colleagues, former expats, have been, to use your term “SNAPPED”, are with DAL, AA, SW, AK, UAL... the list, and start dates goes on.
captjns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #9  
Squawking 2000
 
Winston's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2015
Position: Skeptical
Posts: 528
Default

I donít care where they work, as long as their seeking new employment is a direct result of Norwegian winding down operations.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Packrat's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green
Posts: 3,769
Default

Got an app in my email today. He'll get interviewed and probably hired as a direct entry Captain.
Packrat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Norwegian (NAS) to fly USA-Carribbean slowplay Major 4 06-26-2015 06:54 PM
Budget Airlines Shop the World......... skytrekker Foreign 0 02-12-2015 09:17 AM
USPS News - More Bad News for Purple JNYVEGAS Cargo 34 01-30-2009 10:21 PM
NetJets Good News / Bad News Timeline after interview Bocaflyer Fractional 26 06-26-2007 10:13 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:38 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1