Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 10-13-2018, 08:39 AM
  #10721  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2018
Posts: 104
Default

Student who shows up at the flight school wearing a military/Top Gun leather jacket.....for his flight in an Archer.
smc2020 is offline  
Old 10-13-2018, 09:26 AM
  #10722  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Keizer Soze's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Posts: 188
Default

Originally Posted by smc2020 View Post
Student who shows up at the flight school wearing a military/Top Gun leather jacket.....for his flight in an Archer.
Flight instructor who openly discourages students love and passion for flying by commenting negatively on the students choice of apparel.
Keizer Soze is offline  
Old 10-13-2018, 09:41 AM
  #10723  
Gets Weekends Off
 
snackysmores's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: fatigued
Posts: 1,398
Default

Originally Posted by Guppydriver95 View Post
This is why the Captain should “make the walk” to check for Jumpseaters and standbys. Had that happened, this would have been a non event. Captain comes out, sees pilot, directs agent to print Jumpseat authorization card, case closed.
Unfortunately at my airline we have zero control over adding non revs, ever since Central Load Planning took over. If we were to get in an argument with the gate agents over it theyve been told to report us and we get to do a CP carpet dance where we are reminded "Your captains authority means nothing to us on the ground."
snackysmores is offline  
Old 10-13-2018, 12:09 PM
  #10724  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,169
Default

Originally Posted by smc2020 View Post
Student who shows up at the flight school wearing a military/Top Gun leather jacket.....for his flight in an Archer.
This isn't boot camp. I think it's funny that he did it. The only tool here is you.
CBreezy is online now  
Old 10-13-2018, 03:54 PM
  #10725  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captjns's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar
Posts: 5,931
Default

Originally Posted by smc2020 View Post
Student who shows up at the flight school wearing a military/Top Gun leather jacket.....for his flight in an Archer.
Lighent up scm2020. Mom and Dad will give you a Top Gun Leather jacket when you graduate from Piper Warrior flight training.
captjns is offline  
Old 10-13-2018, 04:14 PM
  #10726  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,023
Default

Originally Posted by snackysmores View Post
Unfortunately at my airline we have zero control over adding non revs, ever since Central Load Planning took over. If we were to get in an argument with the gate agents over it theyve been told to report us and we get to do a CP carpet dance where we are reminded "Your captains authority means nothing to us on the ground."

Perhaps they can keep standbys out of your hands, but the Feds say that the Jumpseat is yours. I would still make a cursory check in the boarding area if i were you, since so many agents will ignore our fellow pilots. The plane won’t leave without you, so it behooves the agents to do the right thing.
Guppydriver95 is online now  
Old 10-13-2018, 05:02 PM
  #10727  
Gets Weekends Off
 
snackysmores's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: fatigued
Posts: 1,398
Default

Originally Posted by Guppydriver95 View Post
Perhaps they can keep standbys out of your hands, but the Feds say that the Jumpseat is yours. I would still make a cursory check in the boarding area if i were you, since so many agents will ignore our fellow pilots. The plane won’t leave without you, so it behooves the agents to do the right thing.
We have control over who sits in the jumpseat; we do not have control over getting stranded commuters on board. If I go to the gate and they say the flight is closed even though the JS is open, there's no doubt in my mind I'd face disciplinary action if I delayed the flight to try and get a JSer on board.

That's the way it is at Horizon, I'm sure Alaska is more or less the same. It's a joke working here.

The other problem is that our Q400s don't have jet bridges. We often have to hoof it to the terminal which can be a 10 minute trip in PDX/SEA.
snackysmores is offline  
Old 10-14-2018, 10:30 AM
  #10728  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Mar 2017
Posts: 9
Default

I was the FO in LWS one morning when a nonrev FA informed us that the gate agents weren't letting on a SWA Jumpseater. I ran in, told them to put the delay on me if we were late, but to get him on. I used the restroom while in the terminal then went back out. We blocked out 1 min late... I got a call the next day from CP's office. That's Horizon for sure. I was asked specifically about the jumpseater. I claimed the delay was because I felt ill before push and had to use the airport bathroom, and just happened to see the SWA guy when I went in. I could hear the defeat in CP's voice after that answer.
Fly10half is offline  
Old 10-14-2018, 03:34 PM
  #10729  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by smc2020 View Post
Student who shows up at the flight school wearing a military/Top Gun leather jacket.....for his flight in an Archer.
Originally Posted by CBreezy View Post
This isn't boot camp. I think it's funny that he did it. The only tool here is you.

I mean....they are really nice jackets. But perhaps the Navy API student wearing his to McGuire's in Pensacola on a Friday night in June 2004 was overdoing it just a bit. That being said I'm still chuckling at it 14 years later!
wt7566 is offline  
Old 10-14-2018, 04:36 PM
  #10730  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 39,420
Default

Originally Posted by wt7566 View Post
I mean....they are really nice jackets. But perhaps the Navy API student wearing his to McGuire's in Pensacola on a Friday night in June 2004 was overdoing it just a bit. That being said I'm still chuckling at it 14 years later!
Little warm in FL that time of year
rickair7777 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Elvis90
Military
2
11-11-2010 09:25 AM
meloveboeing
Regional
5
10-02-2010 07:47 AM
kc135driver
United
119
08-24-2010 08:30 AM
exerauflyboy5
Flight Schools and Training
15
02-18-2009 08:29 PM
Busdriver
JetBlue
70
01-16-2006 10:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices