Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 06-02-2012, 10:50 AM
  #1551  
Gets Weekends Off
 
MoonShot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,051
Default

Originally Posted by PiperPilot03
I had a captain (well known for being the big tool at my airline) who turned on the dome light for a two hour night flight so he could read his paper. Not the small reading light, but the massive, everything is daylight dome light. I was glad he was taking the landing, which he promptly crashed on the runway like all his landings so he could dissipate the energy and get to the gate a few seconds sooner which allowed him to pick up as much OT as possible.

I'd say 90% (or more) of the night flights at Delta have the big dome light on other than takeoff and landing.
MoonShot is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 AM
  #1552  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Mar 2009
Posts: 562
Default

Originally Posted by PiperPilot03
I had a captain (well known for being the big tool at my airline) who turned on the dome light for a two hour night flight so he could read his paper. Not the small reading light, but the massive, everything is daylight dome light. I was glad he was taking the landing, which he promptly crashed on the runway like all his landings so he could dissipate the energy and get to the gate a few seconds sooner which allowed him to pick up as much OT as possible.
Is that your first night flight? What do you expect to do up there for a flight. Stare out the window for 2 hrs, heck no, light on paper out. Or do you not read either since the book says not to?
samballs is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 11:54 AM
  #1553  
Da Hudge
 
80ktsClamp's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Poodle Whisperer
Posts: 17,473
Default

Originally Posted by MoonShot
I'd say 90% (or more) of the night flights at Delta have the big dome light on other than takeoff and landing.
Yup... on at 18... off at top of descent. The guys that don't turn it on are more the rarity.
80ktsClamp is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 12:16 PM
  #1554  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2009
Position: C560XL/XLS/XLS+
Posts: 1,278
Default

Originally Posted by MoonShot
I'd say 90% (or more) of the night flights at Delta have the big dome light on other than takeoff and landing.
He must be looking out for UFO's.
dalad is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 12:54 PM
  #1555  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Posts: 128
Default

Originally Posted by samballs
Is that your first night flight? What do you expect to do up there for a flight. Stare out the window for 2 hrs, heck no, light on paper out. Or do you not read either since the book says not to?
I've only been here for 2 years but so far, he is the only one. Everyone else uses the reading light if they want to read.
PiperPilot03 is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 01:45 PM
  #1556  
New boss = Old boss
 
mike734's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Ca B737
Posts: 2,762
Default

I nominate the passenger walking through the terminal dressed in surgical scrubs. Tool!
mike734 is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 02:52 PM
  #1557  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Posts: 490
Default

Originally Posted by MayDaze
...I'm hoping that my daughter will get a job as a stripper to pay her way through.
Let me know where she works, I promise to help her get through college.
chignutsak is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 03:39 PM
  #1558  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Default

Yeah, a picture would be good for direct deposit.
wireman is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 03:47 PM
  #1559  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Senior Skipper's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: the correct seat
Posts: 1,422
Default

Originally Posted by mike734
I nominate the passenger walking through the terminal dressed in surgical scrubs. Tool!
Given the way people dress to fly these days, what's wrong with that? Assuming they're clean, scrubs are EXTREMELY comfortable.
Senior Skipper is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 03:53 PM
  #1560  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Senior Skipper's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: the correct seat
Posts: 1,422
Default

Originally Posted by PiperPilot03
I had a captain (well known for being the big tool at my airline) who turned on the dome light for a two hour night flight so he could read his paper. Not the small reading light, but the massive, everything is daylight dome light. I was glad he was taking the landing, which he promptly crashed on the runway like all his landings so he could dissipate the energy and get to the gate a few seconds sooner which allowed him to pick up as much OT as possible.
I take it you're one of the guys who keeps the dome light off all night and the screens so dim that they're practically off?

I never understood why people fly around with the lights off. Unless we're avoiding wx or something, there's no reason to fly around in the dark. It may surprise some to know that most airplane nav/strobe/beacon lights are more than bright enough to see at night, even with the cockpit lights on.
Senior Skipper is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Elvis90
Military
2
11-11-2010 09:25 AM
meloveboeing
Regional
5
10-02-2010 07:47 AM
kc135driver
United
119
08-24-2010 08:30 AM
exerauflyboy5
Flight Schools and Training
15
02-18-2009 08:29 PM
Busdriver
JetBlue
70
01-16-2006 10:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices