Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 09-26-2015, 08:26 AM
  #6921  
Gets Weekends Off
 
WHACKMASTER's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: DOWNGRADE COMPLETE: Thanks Gary. Thanks SWAPA.
Posts: 6,640
Default

Originally Posted by iceman49 View Post
What about Pro Stan?
Lmao! Dude. I mean no disrespect but you really have to be immersed in the CULTure at this airline for a little while to fully understands just how [caffeinated] up it is and exactly why it is that way. This problem is WAAAAAY beyond Pro Standards.

Seriously, we're either running one off a taxiway or runway, or hitting a catering truck or light pole or another aircraft, or any other myriad of incidents or accidents ON A MONTHLY BASIS!

Anyone with any bit of experience in "the real 121 world" would understand why this is so. It's because the "get the mission done/hurry up/rush" culture has permeated this company for literally decades now.

Yet, they have the audacity to make fun of those that operate at a sensible and SAFE pace. Sorry for the thread hijack but I needed to vent.

Last edited by vagabond; 09-26-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: edited profanity. C'mon Whack, ease up, will you?
WHACKMASTER is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 02:33 PM
  #6922  
Otto
 
MikeF16's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Turkish Pile Driver
Posts: 1,806
Default

Originally Posted by WHACKMASTER View Post
Sorry for the thread hijack but I needed to vent.
Yeah, because I'm sure if we searched your 1200 previous posts we wouldn't find any venting. I'm sure you're young and full of vigor, if you hate your company so much just leave. Assuming you could fake your way past the psych eval, you could get hired at a major, taxi as slow as you like and still be top 10% of the seniority list when you retire.
MikeF16 is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 02:39 PM
  #6923  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Hrkdrivr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: Fairly local
Posts: 1,459
Default

Originally Posted by MikeF16 View Post
Yeah, because I'm sure if we searched your 1200 previous posts we wouldn't find any venting. I'm sure you're young and full of vigor, if you hate your company so much just leave. Assuming you could fake your way past the psych eval, you could get hired at a major, taxi as slow as you like and still be top 10% of the seniority list when you retire.
And fly the 717 again???
Hrkdrivr is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 03:53 PM
  #6924  
Gets Weekends Off
 
WHACKMASTER's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: DOWNGRADE COMPLETE: Thanks Gary. Thanks SWAPA.
Posts: 6,640
Default

Originally Posted by MikeF16 View Post
Yeah, because I'm sure if we searched your 1200 previous posts we wouldn't find any venting. I'm sure you're young and full of vigor, if you hate your company so much just leave. Assuming you could fake your way past the psych eval, you could get hired at a major, taxi as slow as you like and still be top 10% of the seniority list when you retire.
Thanks for the career advice
WHACKMASTER is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 05:48 PM
  #6925  
Otto
 
MikeF16's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Turkish Pile Driver
Posts: 1,806
Default

Originally Posted by Hrkdrivr View Post
And fly the 717 again???
Hey don't hate on the noob tube! Maybe that was me on the radio calling the Embraer a little guy since poop rolls down hill and I'm pretty much at the bottom. I try to make all my FNG radio calls with the SWA callsign.

And for the record, almost all NYC 717 captains are brand new, they taxi slower than molasses; mostly because neither one of us knows where the eff we're going. Whack would love it.
MikeF16 is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 06:47 PM
  #6926  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Hrkdrivr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: Fairly local
Posts: 1,459
Default

Originally Posted by MikeF16 View Post
Hey don't hate on the noob tube! Maybe that was me on the radio calling the Embraer a little guy since poop rolls down hill and I'm pretty much at the bottom. I try to make all my FNG radio calls with the SWA callsign.

And for the record, almost all NYC 717 captains are brand new, they taxi slower than molasses; mostly because neither one of us knows where the eff we're going. Whack would love it.
Oh I'm right there with you, Mike! I loves me my Barbie Jet.

And I'm cool on the radio too; I make practice ramp calls on Guard. Gotta keep the Guard Nazis in business. Boy are they fast!

I'm not NY-based and glad about that for sure...last rotation I had to go through JFK and LGA. Everything you've written about them is true!
Hrkdrivr is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 07:31 PM
  #6927  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Position: A320 CA
Posts: 491
Default

Originally Posted by Hrkdrivr View Post
I'm not NY-based and glad about that for sure...last rotation I had to go through JFK and LGA. Everything you've written about them is true!
I'm a relatively new captain and I've found that a good FO can make the LGA experience relatively painless. I've started asking FOs if they're comfortable with the LGA procedure and giving them a quick brief on the peculiarities if they haven't had prior experience.

I suppose this is old news to more experienced captains, but I sure had a rude awakening the first time we landed and it became evident that the FO wasn't ready for the process. Lesson learned on my part.
OpenClimb is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 08:11 PM
  #6928  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green
Posts: 4,378
Default

Originally Posted by OpenClimb View Post
I suppose this is old news to more experienced captains, but I sure had a rude awakening the first time we landed and it became evident that the FO wasn't ready for the process. Lesson learned on my part.
That's what approach briefs are for.
Packrat is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 09:21 PM
  #6929  
You scratched my anchor
 
Al Czervik's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,879
Default

Originally Posted by WHACKMASTER View Post
This problem is WAAAAAY beyond Pro Standards.
Words like that are reserved for LUS pilots b!tching about nAAtives.
Al Czervik is offline  
Old 09-26-2015, 10:37 PM
  #6930  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captjns's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar
Posts: 5,933
Default

Originally Posted by OpenClimb View Post
I'm a relatively new captain and I've found that a good FO can make the LGA experience relatively painless. I've started asking FOs if they're comfortable with the LGA procedure and giving them a quick brief on the peculiarities if they haven't had prior experience.

I suppose this is old news to more experienced captains, but I sure had a rude awakening the first time we landed and it became evident that the FO wasn't ready for the process. Lesson learned on my part.
Any pilot trained and deemed competent should have no issues with LGA regardless of WX or traffic saturation.

Can someone explain what has changed at LGA other than crowded ramp and taxiways? Visual approach guidance systems have improved. One can tune up the ILS 13 as a backup for the river visual. And hey... How about runway extensions now available as standard equipment on most FMS equipped jets at on extra charge.

OK.... newbies to LGA should be briefed on the crappy expensive airport food at LGA... I'll give you that.

You want to talk airports? One of my favorites was the old HKG checker board approach with snotty wind and rain. Then there's VNKT before GNSS Approaches were a dream. And then there was MHGT, that is before they blew the top of the mountain off.

Sorry for off track of the thread.... Afterall, at the end of the day, LGA is another busy airport with good approach aides which should prove to be a non-event event provided the brief and preparation is accomplished before ToD.

Last edited by captjns; 09-26-2015 at 10:47 PM.
captjns is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Elvis90
Military
2
11-11-2010 09:25 AM
meloveboeing
Regional
5
10-02-2010 07:47 AM
kc135driver
United
119
08-24-2010 08:30 AM
exerauflyboy5
Flight Schools and Training
15
02-18-2009 08:29 PM
Busdriver
JetBlue
70
01-16-2006 10:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices