Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 08-10-2017, 07:52 AM
  #9591  
Da Hudge
 
80ktsClamp's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Poodle Whisperer
Posts: 17,473
Default

Originally Posted by dogpilot View Post
Have to agree with shy. That is toolish to have the strobes on when lined up on the runway. A little common sense makes Regs and policies go a long way.
I'll eat crow if they were in a line on a runway being utilized as a taxiway.
80ktsClamp is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 08:19 AM
  #9592  
Gets Weekends Off
 
labbats's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A320
Posts: 1,347
Default

Originally Posted by 80ktsClamp View Post
I'll eat crow if they were in a line on a runway being utilized as a taxiway.
The original post said several radio calls were made about the strobes. Unlikely that would happen if it was a proper use of them.
labbats is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 09:09 AM
  #9593  
Da Hudge
 
80ktsClamp's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Poodle Whisperer
Posts: 17,473
Default

Originally Posted by labbats View Post
The original post said several radio calls were made about the strobes. Unlikely that would happen if it was a proper use of them.
People have done that to aircraft in position and hold... and complained about it here!
80ktsClamp is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 09:46 AM
  #9594  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Downwind, headed straight for the rocks, shanghaied aboard the ship of fools.
Posts: 1,128
Default

Originally Posted by 80ktsClamp View Post
People have done that to aircraft in position and hold... and complained about it here!
Like I wrote earlier, anyone who critiques a pilot for flipping on the strobes while sitting on the active waiting for departure is a dangerous clown. AA and it's step children seem to be overrun with these Bozos based on my experience in CLT and PHL. Mine will always be on. Don't like 'em? Don't look at 'em.
SpeedyVagabond is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 10:09 AM
  #9595  
New Hire
 
ionpilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
Default

that's a lot posts dedicated to strobes...
ionpilot is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 12:03 PM
  #9596  
Gets Weekends Off
 
tomgoodman's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)
Posts: 6,248
Default

Originally Posted by ionpilot View Post
that's a lot posts dedicated to strobes...
Welcome to APC! In general, the number of posts on a subject varies inversely with the subject's importance.
tomgoodman is offline  
Old 08-10-2017, 05:22 PM
  #9597  
Gets Weekends Off
 
cardiomd's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather
Posts: 988
Default

Originally Posted by AC560 View Post
Chewbacca was babbling on guard over Western PA last night. Can't believe Han tolerates it.
It has gotten far too excessive and is rampant all over the whole eastern seaboard. The FCC is clamping down finally. No more guard idiocy.

https://www.fcc.gov/document/enforce...gency-use-only

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...A-17-747A1.pdf

Triangulation and correlation with ADS-B data would be easy, so finally the tools will have to be quiet.
cardiomd is offline  
Old 08-11-2017, 02:31 PM
  #9598  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Adlerdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain
Posts: 3,988
Default

Originally Posted by thevagabond View Post
Like I wrote earlier, anyone who critiques a pilot for flipping on the strobes while sitting on the active waiting for departure is a dangerous clown. Mine will always be on. Don't like 'em? Don't look at 'em.
No critique from me. My memory from my pax days at UAL is fading but I think that was procedure at the time. I'd say it's probably the safer option, IMO.

FWIW, FedEx procedures call for wing illumination and taxi light for line up and wait. Forward facing landing lights and strobes once cleared for takeoff. I think we're the minority from what I see around the industry. It seems to come from an over-exuberance directed toward the preservation of night vision (probably started when it was almost exclusively night ops and little to no inbound traffic when we were flying). Old habits seem to die hard there.
Adlerdriver is offline  
Old 08-12-2017, 01:47 PM
  #9599  
Gets Weekends Off
 
cardiomd's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather
Posts: 988
Default

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
No critique from me. My memory from my pax days at UAL is fading but I think that was procedure at the time. I'd say it's probably the safer option, IMO.

FWIW, FedEx procedures call for wing illumination and taxi light for line up and wait. Forward facing landing lights and strobes once cleared for takeoff. I think we're the minority from what I see around the industry. It seems to come from an over-exuberance directed toward the preservation of night vision (probably started when it was almost exclusively night ops and little to no inbound traffic when we were flying). Old habits seem to die hard there.
After the SFO incident it may be worth having them on when #1...

I would never "line up and wait" without strobes on past civil twilight, feel too vulnerable.
cardiomd is offline  
Old 08-13-2017, 10:40 AM
  #9600  
All is fine at .79
 
TiredSoul's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot
Posts: 4,149
Default

Originally Posted by deadseal View Post
I am always amazed when adults that fly planes using science don't trust science When 97% of a scientific community is telling you climate change is real. It's a shame that it became politicized, and people can't separate their political desires from rational thinking. Separate church and state folks
Amen...........


Lol
TiredSoul is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Elvis90
Military
2
11-11-2010 09:25 AM
meloveboeing
Regional
5
10-02-2010 07:47 AM
kc135driver
United
119
08-24-2010 08:30 AM
exerauflyboy5
Flight Schools and Training
15
02-18-2009 08:29 PM
Busdriver
JetBlue
70
01-16-2006 10:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices