Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air methods guys out there?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Airline Captain

I'm curious if they are having issues filling positions with the shortage. Their pay is a smidge on the low side.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:34 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2011
Position: Chair flying

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post
Lol. So the company SOP is to scud run. Got it.
LOL Well for most of their choppers that are not IFR certified (and for them, flying into a cloud layer is an emergency) scud runs and landing in a farmer's field is normal ops. Just pointing out the mentality of a helo based business with some fixed wings around.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by JLTD View Post
LOL Well for most of their choppers that are not IFR certified (and for them, flying into a cloud layer is an emergency) scud runs and landing in a farmer's field is normal ops. Just pointing out the mentality of a helo based business with some fixed wings around.
I know. I'm a RW pilot, too. It just points out the dangers of having both assets lumped together in the minds of the HQ staff and the associated shortfalls in the training deptartments.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:17 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2011
Position: Chair flying

Originally Posted by Edgewoodrx View Post
Applied to fixed wing side of the house and I got the first interview call from an HR guy who said he would send it up the chain for the next step. If it does go up, what can I expect for the technical interview process, i.e. what should I study up with on? Some thoughts:
1. Do they do an in interview sim check? If so, what kind of sim?
2. I read somewhere that VFR basic weather/visibility stuff is a big deal. Probly a rotor wing culture thing....?
Not looking for anyone to spoon feed me. Just a rough idea of the pilot side of the interview.
My highlights: ATP, 3600 total, current Part 135 freight employed.
Thanks!
OP, sorry I didn't answer your questions up front.

The guys I know did NOT have a sim session for the interview. They did have a thorough scenario-based situation thrown at them - thinking on your feet, tough decisions etc just remember to remain legal and safe and you will be ok. They put you in the middle of a situation, and one guy told me he said, "well I wouldn't be here in the first place because I did "x" before I took off". It's true that you will have questions on airspace and VFR cloud clearances, so make sure to review all that before you go in.

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post
I know. I'm a RW pilot, too. It just points out the dangers of having both assets lumped together in the minds of the HQ staff and the associated shortfalls in the training departments.
Right. And you have to be cognizant of the 135 rules also, if you've got non-Methods nurses in the back. Some of the mgmt doesn't get the distinction and wants pilots to fly Part 91 repo flights...but you can't if it's not all company personnel.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by JLTD View Post
Some of the mgmt doesn't get the distinction and wants pilots to fly Part 91 repo flights...but you can't if it's not all company personnel.

That's sad that there is somebody in management with such a poor understanding of their own operation.

I believe CAMTS requires all flights be conducted IAW 135 rules. All of our bases only do 91 flights for maintenance, training, and repositioning.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2015

All managers are VFR rotor pilots. Let that sink in. Questions pm me. I can answer them
Old 05-20-2017, 11:08 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017
Position: Shaky.... at best

Originally Posted by Walkeraviator View Post
I'm curious if they are having issues filling positions with the shortage. Their pay is a smidge on the low side.
I haven't seen any issues with getting guys for the PC-12 bases. I'm not sure what you'd consider low pay when considering the QOL. Generally you work 7 on 7 off, 12 hour shifts and you're home every day if you live near your base. It's a union pay scale so you should be able to poke around and find the current CBA online somewhere to see what all the benefits are. Working it out on paper you'd get paid for 168 hours a month regardless of how much you fly. It sounds like a lot of hours and time but I would say roughly 50-70% of it will be spent watching TV or sleeping.

PM me though if you have any specific questions. I've enjoyed working there.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Airline Captain

Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
I haven't seen any issues with getting guys for the PC-12 bases. I'm not sure what you'd consider low pay when considering the QOL. Generally you work 7 on 7 off, 12 hour shifts and you're home every day if you live near your base. It's a union pay scale so you should be able to poke around and find the current CBA online somewhere to see what all the benefits are. Working it out on paper you'd get paid for 168 hours a month regardless of how much you fly. It sounds like a lot of hours and time but I would say roughly 50-70% of it will be spent watching TV or sleeping.

PM me though if you have any specific questions. I've enjoyed working there.
Oh I get it. I spent 4 years flying a King Air for Air Methods. The QOL is unmatched. I considered applying to go back to the JVY base when it had an opening. But at this point in my life, going back to $60k/yr isn't feasible, unless I can crack 6 figures after just a few years of gaining seniority (a la airline pay scale). The pay scale at AMC doesn't do that for me.

I think you are right, they won't have an issue filling spots, but I do think the days of career guys at bases may be over. Turnover will increase.

I would love to retire to the JVY base one day when I hit 65 and get the boot from 121
Old 05-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by Walkeraviator View Post
I would love to retire to the JVY base one day when I hit 65 and get the boot from 121
I did three years in the PC-12 for Methods and live in SDF. I guess I'll see you at JVY, because I'll be applying, too! Best retirement job imaginable.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: B757 Ca, Retired.

Any chance of a DSM base in the near future?