Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Berry Aviation

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 03:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2018

24 hour on call isn’t legal. How is the faa still allowing this?
Old 04-22-2022, 05:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017

Originally Posted by JulesWinfield View Post
Because the POI must not know how it works.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Originally Posted by SonicFlyer View Post
Because the POI must not know how it works.
The FAA is well aware of this practice. If they wished to end it, they would.
Old 04-22-2022, 04:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2021

They are waiting for a deadly crash. Then they can blame it on a low time pilot. Raise 135 SIC Mins to 1000TT and find out 10-years later it was due to fatigue.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:31 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

That really depends on the nature of the call-out, the obligation to answer the phone, and the time before required duty.

If one is on call with a 12 hour requirement, allowing legal rest after notification, for example, remaining on call is legal. Likewise, if one is operating under regulations requiring a 24 hour period free of duty, which must be determined in advance, an oncall system which allows that period, can still meet the legal requirement.

There is no regulation which stipulates how far in advance rest must be provided for notification, to be considered prospective: only that it must be prospective in nature.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:25 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

Originally Posted by QRH Bingo View Post
The Saabs are not currently on property (FYI) and I do not know how they are going to be working that platform as far as scheduling goes. I don't think management even knows yet.

As for the 120's, the schedule is on-call 24hrs, beginning Monday morning at 0600 and they can use you up until 0600 Saturday morning without paying you weekend pay. On-call weekends are roughly every 4 weeks (sometimes adjusted due to holidays) but you got 13 of them for the year (they can be traded, given away, or picked up). New policy in place regarding the Monday BEFORE your weekend up, you will have off. So you get a 3 day weekend going into your week where you gotta be up that weekend. So, worst case scenario is you get called Tuesday - gone all week, weekend, and into the following week and home Friday for a total of 11 days. Although that CAN happen, it is more on the rare side. It's likely you will make it back home during that time, even if it is just min rest.
Summer is the slow time, possible to be at home more or get called on a Monday and sit in a random hotel for 3 days doing nothing before going home on Friday. Difficult to list every possible scenario, but hope this gives you an idea.
Pay on the profile is up to date.

*For anyone out there reading, a new round of hiring for SIC's on the 120 opened up. Filling 5-6 positions I believe. Welcome to ask here or PM and I'll do my best to answer.
What the minimum they are looking for on the SIC for the 120? Additionally, what base is it for? Are they just looking for pilots or are they wanting pilots that have CFI/I as well?
Old 04-27-2022, 03:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Gapilot View Post
What the minimum they are looking for on the SIC for the 120? Additionally, what base is it for? Are they just looking for pilots or are they wanting pilots that have CFI/I as well?
Current mins are on the website, with links for the application. 500TT. If you have extras like CFI or a little extra Multi time than the 25 hours required, it’s possible they will go lower but that will be a case by case basis. If you are close, go ahead and apply and see what they say.

Unfortunately, they are currently requiring the Covid jab until Canada ends that requirement. Sorry folks.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:12 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

Current mins are on the website, with links for the application. 500TT. If you have extras like CFI or a little extra Multi time than the 25 hours required, it’s possible they will go lower but that will be a case by case basis. If you are close, go ahead and apply and see what they say.

Unfortunately, they are currently requiring the Covid jab until Canada ends that requirement. Sorry folks.
Here to hoping that I get a call from them for an interview for the FO spot. I meet and exceed their minimum requirements. Thanks for info QRH Bingo.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:06 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2022

Are they actually hiring at these mins, or closer to the preferred mins that they posted? I’d love to get on with Berry out of DTO, but I’m closer to 300. Working on CFI now.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Flightlesflyboy View Post
Are they actually hiring at these mins, or closer to the preferred mins that they posted? I’d love to get on with Berry out of DTO, but I’m closer to 300. Working on CFI now.
I am not involved in hiring but I'll give you my best guess answer: It all depends on how many applicants apply and their experience. Berry is experiencing a shortage of applicants just like every other part 135 operator. The previous published minimums used to be 800 hrs and to be competitive you needed over 1,000.

Now, to be blunt, you will not get a phone call back at 300 hours unless you had an inside recommendation. But, if lets say you had 300 hours and 100 of that were multi, maybe. They do consider quality of time, not just quantity.

Additionally, they want someone who will upgrade into the left seat. It can be a tough schedule at times, so if you come in at 300 hours, you may not have the motivation to stick around by the time you're legal to upgrade.

My $0.02. Get your CFI (it's good to have), instruct for a few hundred hours (again, good experience to have), and then come on over. But hey, you're free to apply any time.