Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Berry Aviation

Old 11-06-2022, 02:29 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2021

I saw a listing recently for an SIC that says no relocation required and that applicants can use their current home of record. How does that work? Are you still on call 24hrs with a set amount of time to get to your airplane, or do they airline you to a base and then you do your five day rotation from there?
Old 11-07-2022, 06:15 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2019

I saw that too, very curious what they mean. Have you called them yet?
Old 11-07-2022, 11:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Originally Posted by TheCrimsonKing View Post
I saw a listing recently for an SIC that says no relocation required and that applicants can use their current home of record. How does that work? Are you still on call 24hrs with a set amount of time to get to your airplane, or do they airline you to a base and then you do your five day rotation from there?
I do not have any real info for you but I’ll take a guess. It’s likely a way to increase applications and essentially be a home based pilot. Expect them to airline you to a base (or elsewhere if needed to meet a plane) on Monday and then an airline ticket home Friday night or Saturday if Friday turned to poo poo. I would also expect the possibility of being asked to airline out Sunday evening if they have a trip booked on Monday and there would not be enough time to get your 10hrs rest prior to starting the trip.
Old 12-28-2022, 12:13 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2022
Default Hiring Requirements

Does anyone know if the 25 Multi hours is the bare minimum? I have more than the minimum total time and was just curious. Also could anyone explain the way on call M-F works? Are you chained to your house for that long or just a set time each day that you're on call? Thanks for any of the help!
Old 12-29-2022, 02:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by VanillaAK View Post
Does anyone know if the 25 Multi hours is the bare minimum?
Yes. If you have an internal recommendation then possible to go lower, but still not likely. 25 is pretty standard everywhere.

Also could anyone explain the way on call M-F works?
As mentioned before (I answered this question on page 7, does nobody look back anymore?), it is 24hr on call starting 6am Monday morning and they own your butt until 6am Saturday morning* without having to pay you weekend pay. If you're already at home on a Friday, you could be released as early as noon. If out on the road, an airline ticket could get you home anywhere between 6pm and midnight. If you get a revenue trip that ends at home, all bets are off and you may not get home until Saturday morning.
*You are required to work every 4th weekend and you do get the Monday off before that on-call weekend.

Are you chained to your house for that long or just a set time each day that you're on call?
You are not chained to your house, per se, but they do expect a 30min response time to the airplane if needed. Advance notification vs. immediate call out is probably a 50/50 split. Advance notice could be anywhere from 1 hour to a few hours. Same rules apply while you're on the road. Group Messaging between the crews and your own self-tracking of airplanes can help alleviate some of the unknowns. If there's no airplane where you are, you're not gonna get a "go-now" call (unless it is to the airport for an airline ticket, which does happen on occasion).
Old 12-29-2022, 11:02 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2022

Originally Posted by QRH Bingo View Post
Yes. If you have an internal recommendation then possible to go lower, but still not likely. 25 is pretty standard everywhere.

As mentioned before (I answered this question on page 7, does nobody look back anymore?), it is 24hr on call starting 6am Monday morning and they own your butt until 6am Saturday morning* without having to pay you weekend pay. If you're already at home on a Friday, you could be released as early as noon. If out on the road, an airline ticket could get you home anywhere between 6pm and midnight. If you get a revenue trip that ends at home, all bets are off and you may not get home until Saturday morning.
*You are required to work every 4th weekend and you do get the Monday off before that on-call weekend.

You are not chained to your house, per se, but they do expect a 30min response time to the airplane if needed. Advance notification vs. immediate call out is probably a 50/50 split. Advance notice could be anywhere from 1 hour to a few hours. Same rules apply while you're on the road. Group Messaging between the crews and your own self-tracking of airplanes can help alleviate some of the unknowns. If there's no airplane where you are, you're not gonna get a "go-now" call (unless it is to the airport for an airline ticket, which does happen on occasion).
Ok. Yeah I read through the whole thread but I asked the question because I didn't fully understand the on-call part. From my perspective, it seemed like in order to be able to show up in to the airport within 30 min, you would need to live close to base and be at home. Like I guess I didn't understand if its 2:00am on a Tuesday and I'm sleeping, I would need to make sure I heard the phone and got decent rest beforehand somehow and still made it to the airplane in time? That's the part that's still fuzzy to me. I guess I understand tracking the aircraft to see the possibility of being called helps and being in group chats but I just haven't worked in that type of environment before and it sounded interesting. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:31 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2014

I exceed their minimums...not by much but never get a reply. Are they hiring? Or I just don't cut it? I'm a R-ATP at 1250+.
Old 12-30-2022, 06:32 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

The only relevant minimums for any job vacancy are the competitive minimums. Those are the numbers from the other appliicants. If the company advertises a minimum of 1200 hours and a high school diploma, and everyone else shows up with 15,000 hours, time in type, and a masters degree, guess what you need to compete?

Published minimums are only what you need to apply.
Old 12-30-2022, 06:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by buccirj View Post
I exceed their minimums...not by much but never get a reply. Are they hiring? Or I just don't cut it? I'm a R-ATP at 1250+.
What does R-ATP even mean? You have your Restricted ATP, Or you just have 1250 hours? An ATP is not required for this particular operation so it’s irrelevant to mention.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:10 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by QRH Bingo View Post
What does R-ATP even mean? You have your Restricted ATP, Or you just have 1250 hours? An ATP is not required for this particular operation so it’s irrelevant to mention.
R-ATP means restricted ATP. And I have just over 1250 hours but I see what you mean and I was merely mentioning I met my R-ATP mins of 1250.