Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Berry Aviation

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 07:11 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
The only relevant minimums for any job vacancy are the competitive minimums. Those are the numbers from the other appliicants. If the company advertises a minimum of 1200 hours and a high school diploma, and everyone else shows up with 15,000 hours, time in type, and a masters degree, guess what you need to compete?

Published minimums are only what you need to apply.
yeah I get that. There is always someone with a more attractive resume and qualifications. I got a long way to go.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:33 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by buccirj View Post
yeah I get that. There is always someone with a more attractive resume and qualifications. I got a long way to go.
There's always someone more qualified. That doesn't mean they applied for the same job as you.

You'll always have the same thing to overcome, no matter how far you go, or how many decades you do this. Trust me.

That doesn't mean that you won't get the job by applying now. The point was that if you're asking why you didn't get a call, because you meet the minimums, then you're asking the wrong question. Apply.

In today's environment, those who have higher qualifications to be competitive for other jobs, will be looking for those other jobs; they won't e applying to places that you are presently. Your competition for any given job will often be people who are in roughly the same experience range as you...for the types of jobs for which you'll apply. Just remember that when asking why you don't get called to an interview, there are no guarantees, and meeting the published minimums doesn't mean anything other than you're able to apply. Don't let it sock you in in the gut of deflate your sails if you don't get a call....keep applying, and keep applying everywhere.

I see a lot of complaints by those who say they've had a few interviews, and can't understand why they cant' get hired. My response is wait until you've had a hundred interviews, and if you still can't get hired, then check back. A few applicaitons or a few interviews, is nothing...it's not even scratching the surface. Scratch the surface. Scratch it deep. You'll get a call.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Originally Posted by buccirj View Post
R-ATP means restricted ATP. And I have just over 1250 hours but I see what you mean and I was merely mentioning I met my R-ATP mins of 1250.
You missed the point I was attempting to make but thank you for explaining to me what the “R“ stands for.
If Berry has not called you back, don’t be too upset.
Unless you already live in one of their bases (or want to live there), you’re better off looking for a regional still hiring FOs and apply there.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:19 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by QRH Bingo View Post
You missed the point I was attempting to make but thank you for explaining to me what the “R“ stands for.
If Berry has not called you back, don’t be too upset.
Unless you already live in one of their bases (or want to live there), you’re better off looking for a regional still hiring FOs and apply there.
Ha, sorry man. Wasn't trying to insult your intelligence but I see what you meant. I agree, working on regional applications mainly.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by VanillaAK View Post
Ok. Yeah I read through the whole thread but I asked the question because I didn't fully understand the on-call part. From my perspective, it seemed like in order to be able to show up in to the airport within 30 min, you would need to live close to base and be at home. Like I guess I didn't understand if its 2:00am on a Tuesday and I'm sleeping, I would need to make sure I heard the phone and got decent rest beforehand somehow and still made it to the airplane in time? That's the part that's still fuzzy to me. I guess I understand tracking the aircraft to see the possibility of being called helps and being in group chats but I just haven't worked in that type of environment before and it sounded interesting. Thanks for the info.
Yeah, this is why 24/7 on call is illegal. You need 10 hours of rest before accepting a duty period.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by VanillaAK View Post
Ok. Yeah I read through the whole thread but I asked the question because I didn't fully understand the on-call part. From my perspective, it seemed like in order to be able to show up in to the airport within 30 min, you would need to live close to base and be at home. Like I guess I didn't understand if its 2:00am on a Tuesday and I'm sleeping, I would need to make sure I heard the phone and got decent rest beforehand somehow and still made it to the airplane in time? That's the part that's still fuzzy to me. I guess I understand tracking the aircraft to see the possibility of being called helps and being in group chats but I just haven't worked in that type of environment before and it sounded interesting. Thanks for the info.
Rest? What's that? haha... When it's busy, it can be quite fatiguing, absolutely. You will get called at 2am and every other hour of the day possible and it is expected that you hear your phone and answer it (or at least return the call promptly should you be occupied like taking a shower or otherwise). You won't have "decent" rest when you get called unexpectedly while in a dead sleep. You also won't get decent rest when you get a trip at 10pm after being up all day. It's kind of on you to sort these things out and nap in the day if there is a chance at getting called.

It is interesting and good flying, but hard to keep up longer than 2 years. Most get burnt out after just one year. But summertime is typically slow so it's possible to have a little bit of a reset before the winter busy season.

Originally Posted by JulesWinfield View Post
Yeah, this is why 24/7 on call is illegal. You need 10 hours of rest before accepting a duty period.
Yep, we've been over this. The FAA and all the POIs who work with these operators know of the practice and do not stop it. I'm not saying that makes it right, but if you choose to work at Berry, or any other operator like this, you will have to accept it to remain employed. You get a 10 hour "rest opportunity" where you are free from all duty prior to being called. What one does with these 10 hours is up to them. That 10 hours can very well turn into 15 or 24 or hell even 4 days but you will not get a call within 10 hours of ending a trip.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:41 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Again, being on call 24/7 is not illegal. Rest is required prospectively, and if that's built into the callout, then being on call around is not illegal.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:22 AM
EJET Driver

Joined APC: Apr 2020

Again, being on call 24/7 is not illegal. Rest is required prospectively, and if that's built into the callout, then being on call around is not illegal.
Free from all duty is the key part of the reg you are missing.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2018

You are not free from duty if you’re required to answer your phone and don’t have the ability to deny a trip without repercussion, and have to be at the airplane in 30 minutes. Also, rest must be prospectively scheduled.

This is specifically addressed here: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/regulations/interpretations/Data/interps/2015/Orellana_2015_Legal_Interpretation.pdf

This isn’t 2009. Pilots shouldn’t put up with this crap with literally everyone else hiring.

Last edited by JulesWinfield; 01-03-2023 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 09:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by JulesWinfield View Post
. . . . This isn’t 2009. Pilots shouldn’t put up with this crap with literally everyone else hiring.
You’re right. Which is why it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep pilots once they reach 1500 hours. With enough pressure, change will come. The question, however, is how long that will take.