Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Berry Aviation

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 09:40 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2022

Originally Posted by QRH Bingo View Post
I am not involved in hiring but I'll give you my best guess answer: It all depends on how many applicants apply and their experience. Berry is experiencing a shortage of applicants just like every other part 135 operator. The previous published minimums used to be 800 hrs and to be competitive you needed over 1,000.

Now, to be blunt, you will not get a phone call back at 300 hours unless you had an inside recommendation. But, if lets say you had 300 hours and 100 of that were multi, maybe. They do consider quality of time, not just quantity.

Additionally, they want someone who will upgrade into the left seat. It can be a tough schedule at times, so if you come in at 300 hours, you may not have the motivation to stick around by the time you're legal to upgrade.

My $0.02. Get your CFI (it's good to have), instruct for a few hundred hours (again, good experience to have), and then come on over. But hey, you're free to apply any time.
Free to apply, sure. But I wouldn’t attempt it at 300 unless I did have an inside track. Honestly, not much in the bank left to get my multi with at the moment. I understand the tough schedule, but if the 70-90k for the EMB and 90-120k for the SAAB is accurate, I would take it. And I’m not looking to go to the airlines. Maybe UPS in the future. But if there is an opening when I get to 500 I will definitely apply to Berry. I’m a Texas boy, and I want to stay in the DFW area.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:45 AM
New Hire

I am not involved in hiring but I'll give you my best guess answer: It all depends on how many applicants apply and their experience. Berry is experiencing a shortage of applicants just like every other part 135 operator. The previous published minimums used to be 800 hrs and to be competitive you needed over 1,000.

Now, to be blunt, you will not get a phone call back at 300 hours unless you had an inside recommendation. But, if lets say you had 300 hours and 100 of that were multi, maybe. They do consider quality of time, not just quantity.

Additionally, they want someone who will upgrade into the left seat. It can be a tough schedule at times, so if you come in at 300 hours, you may not have the motivation to stick around by the time you're legal to upgrade.

My $0.02. Get your CFI (it's good to have), instruct for a few hundred hours (again, good experience to have), and then come on over. But hey, you're free to apply any time.
I wouldn’t apply at 300 unless I had an inside track who told me explicitly, “apply!” And I don’t have much left in the bank to get my multi either, so CFI it is. I should have a check ride in the next week or so.
If I were able to get on with Berry, I would be around for the long haul, I feel. I know it’s a tough schedule, and the work is hard, but I am no stranger to that. I have no desire to go to the airlines. Maybe UPS later on, but much later.
Old 04-30-2022, 10:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Flightlesflyboy View Post
Free to apply, sure. But I wouldn’t attempt it at 300 unless I did have an inside track. Honestly, not much in the bank left to get my multi with at the moment. I understand the tough schedule, but if the 70-90k for the EMB and 90-120k for the SAAB is accurate, I would take it. And I’m not looking to go to the airlines. Maybe UPS in the future. But if there is an opening when I get to 500 I will definitely apply to Berry. I’m a Texas boy, and I want to stay in the DFW area.
Berry isn't exactly "DFW area". When you get to 500, I would recommend Ameriflight. We have charter E120s and will soon have SAAB 340, both based out of DFW. You won't see the pay rates you mentioned as an FO. But we do have a lead in program with UPS that several folks have taken advantage of.
Old 04-30-2022, 11:27 AM
New Hire

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
Berry isn't exactly "DFW area". When you get to 500, I would recommend Ameriflight. We have charter E120s and will soon have SAAB 340, both based out of DFW. You won't see the pay rates you mentioned as an FO. But we do have a lead in program with UPS that several folks have taken advantage of.
Ameriflight is also on my list!
Old 04-30-2022, 02:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Hey Sir, stop poaching. Haha!!
Old 05-02-2022, 04:46 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2022

DTO is about as DFW as it can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-02-2022, 04:52 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2022

The FAA is well aware of this practice. If they wished to end it, they would.

On this same token, really?

I’m sorry but the day of the freight dog is dead. POI’s are Retiring, crews are moving on to bigger and better things. Why be on call 24hrs a day, when you could have a home based deal, or better, without loading your own cargo.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Originally Posted by 550Rs View Post
On this same token, really?

I’m sorry but the day of the freight dog is dead. POI’s are Retiring, crews are moving on to bigger and better things. Why be on call 24hrs a day, when you could have a home based deal, or better, without loading your own cargo.

Everybody has a reason and they vary. If you feel the need to tell others what they SHOULD be doing, go look in a mirror.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by Flightlesflyboy View Post
I wouldn’t apply at 300 unless I had an inside track who told me explicitly, “apply!” And I don’t have much left in the bank to get my multi either, so CFI it is. I should have a check ride in the next week or so.
If I were able to get on with Berry, I would be around for the long haul, I feel. I know it’s a tough schedule, and the work is hard, but I am no stranger to that. I have no desire to go to the airlines. Maybe UPS later on, but much later.
Interesting side note on Multi-time. I've talked to some on the part 91 side and insurance requirements which are the pseudo regulatory "agency" of aviation have made it tough to get into. One Cessna 414 position required 50 hours in type and another job wanted 250 multi minimum. Pretty good chunk of change. I was told Warren Buffet and his insurance companies are behind a lot of it but who knows. I could see a practical effect of retired airline pilots being in the best position to benefit especially those who took an early retirement at the beginning of COVID.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:12 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2021
Position: Looking for Low Time Opportunity
Default How to Get the Interview

I have applied for the first officer positions on Denton and Canton. I currently have roughly 800TT , 126 ME time with over a hundred ME Turbine (80 of that PIC) in a King Air 90. I have CFII as well and cannot get a call back. I have reached out several times and just get a response that my information is being reviewed. How long does the process usually take?