Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

FlyExclusive

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 02:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Exclamation Yes, we do require the ATP Written Complete..

Originally Posted by iflybygps View Post
Also, one thing to consider when looking for a Part 135 gig, if you aren't an ATP you have to have the ATP/CTP course and some companies will not consider you without the ATP/CTP course completed as well as the ATP written completed. Some will not consider you unless you are already an ATP. For the military guys this can be an issue because most have their licenses converted but they get it at the commercial pilot level. There are MANY companies that will pay for the ATP/CTP course, I would seek them out. I am 99% sure that FlyExclusive requires you to be an ATP at time of application. I look at the ATP/CTP course as an investment by the company, especially if they are going to have you under a training contract, there is no loss to them. Companies who are unwilling to make that investment in you just are not a good match. There are so many jobs out there that you don't need to go do this class out of pocket, those days are long gone (for now). The companies I have talked to recently all said they are struggling to get qualified pilots to the point that they are raising starting salaries and trying lots of other incentives just to keep up with attrition. Just some things to think about.
Yes GPS,

You are correct in that flyExclusive requires the ATP Written (and therefore the ATP-CTP course) complete as a condition of employment. While part of this deals with what Argus-Wyverns demands of us to maintain Platinum status, they main reason is that we are still getting very qualified candidates that either have their ATP and Type ratings or they have the ATP Written complete. We recently attended the RTAG Conference out in SAN back in October, and we found a huge number of these qualified candidates ready to go.

What the Company wants is for you to be able to get your ATP concurrently when you get your Type Rating at CAE or FSI. This would be impossible if the candidate did not possess their ATP. Also, we maintain contact with candidates who have shown continued interest in coming here, but have yet to attain their required flight times, ATP Written, etc. for when they will be ready to apply; We just hired yesterday a USCG Pilot that we met at RTAG in October, but just completed their ATP Written last week.

Finally, the Company has a deal with ATP Flight School that gives a discounted ATP/CTP Course rate to applicants who are coming to us and have already been screened. It’s not free, but it’s definitely something. In the future, the Company may return to sponsoring the ATP-CTP Course for candidates and that would be awesome, but I don’t see that happening as long as we are still hiring ATP-rated pilots with types.

Take care and Merry Christmas, GPS..
Old 12-21-2021, 06:38 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2021
Default Questions

Hey everyone! I’m new here and this is my first post. Wanted to ask a few things about Flyexclusive. Never flown 135 so this is new to me.
1. Do they fly out of a specific base? Or any place I’d live would be commuting? (So if I live in Kinston does that take the commute out of it?)
2. How many hours a month on the X?
3. What’s upgrade time?
4. Any paid sick days?
5. Is uniform provided by the company?
6. What’s health insurance like for the family?
7. Is there a loss of license thing they have?
Sorry for the many questions and your responses are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-21-2021, 06:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2019

Originally Posted by Transpecial View Post
Hey everyone! I’m new here and this is my first post. Wanted to ask a few things about Flyexclusive. Never flown 135 so this is new to me.
1. Do they fly out of a specific base? Or any place I’d live would be commuting? (So if I live in Kinston does that take the commute out of it?)
2. How many hours a month on the X?
3. What’s upgrade time?
4. Any paid sick days?
5. Is uniform provided by the company?
6. What’s health insurance like for the family?
7. Is there a loss of license thing they have?
Sorry for the many questions and your responses are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

I’ll answer some Qs.
1. live anywhere (take some time to read every post in this thread)
3. upgrade ranges from 4 months to whenever the company needs you. depends on your prior experience
4. PTO is accumulated
5. Uniform paid for by company. M&H is the supplier, along with the “Karbon Aviator” jacket for the winter.
6. $1400/month for family dental health and vision. Rumor has it family medical is high priority for spring 2022 changes in order to retain pilots…
7. No loss of medical insurance. There is an asap program which protects your certificate.

B727 or Amph can chime in with larger cabin QOL. Feel free to DM them or anyone in this thread for detailed info
Old 12-22-2021, 07:14 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
Yes GPS,
Finally, the Company has a deal with ATP Flight School that gives a discounted ATP/CTP Course rate to applicants who are coming to us and have already been screened. It’s not free, but it’s definitely something. In the future, the Company may return to sponsoring the ATP-CTP Course for candidates and that would be awesome, but I don’t see that happening as long as we are still hiring ATP-rated pilots with types.

Take care and Merry Christmas, GPS..
Thanks for the input. In the end, I'm not in a hurry and not to sound egotistical but I'm not interested in paying for the ATP/CTP, so I will focus on one of the many companies that will pay for it treating it as an investment in an employee. 99% of these 135 operators are scrambling to hire pilots, if the pilots in the market place are firm that the operator has to pay for it then it will continue to trend as the expectation. It is becoming more and more the standard just as nobody pays for their own type ratings or the old pay to fly schemes. I'm guessing this will all change in the coming months as they struggle more and more to find qualified candidates. On a side note, I had a funny phone screen the other day with a 135 operator that looked reasonable online, the guy literally told me with a straight face that all new hires had to pay for their initial or recurrent out of pocket and that at the completion of one year at the company they 100% reimburse you for the training. I have a feeling that they have to screen a lot of people to find a taker, but what a scumbag operation to even try that crap in today's market.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:09 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Default That sounds shady.....

Thanks for the input. In the end, I'm not in a hurry and not to sound egotistical but I'm not interested in paying for the ATP/CTP, so I will focus on one of the many companies that will pay for it treating it as an investment in an employee. 99% of these 135 operators are scrambling to hire pilots, if the pilots in the market place are firm that the operator has to pay for it then it will continue to trend as the expectation. It is becoming more and more the standard just as nobody pays for their own type ratings or the old pay to fly schemes. I'm guessing this will all change in the coming months as they struggle more and more to find qualified candidates. On a side note, I had a funny phone screen the other day with a 135 operator that looked reasonable online, the guy literally told me with a straight face that all new hires had to pay for their initial or recurrent out of pocket and that at the completion of one year at the company they 100% reimburse you for the training. I have a feeling that they have to screen a lot of people to find a taker, but what a scumbag operation to even try that crap in today's market.

That should have been a HUGE red flag to you. There have been a few operators to come and go that would have you expense to your PERSONAL credit card and then reimburse you........ buyer beware. That sets you up for all sorts of issues.

Never saw FE do anything like that but they used to have a 1 year contract on your training. It is what it is......it was a time builder for currency and then a stepping stone. However, you do you...

but reimbursement?? yeah that is a hard pass......

Last edited by UTR69; 12-22-2021 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Exclamation I believe that WUP might sponsor the ATP-CTP.

Hey GPS,

Sorry that company wasted your time wanting you to pay for your own type: I know the feeling. When I came up in the mid-1990’s, it was nearly impossible to find a 121 Regional job that did not require the already-broke-from-training-and-college pilot to pay for training, getting your own Type Rating in Flight Safety’s Regional First Officer Training Program. It goes without saying that the ATP Certificate was a requirement. These were dark days indeed, with more pilots on the street from Eastern, Pan Am, the Military from the Gulf War and Cold War draw downs, and nearly every airline, including AA and DL, than there were from 9/11, the Great Recession (or Depression if you were laid off like me), or Covid-19.. What was 1000 TT/100ME to get a flying job, went in short order to 1500TT/500ME, to at one point 4000TT/1000ME, and this was for a job that paid less than $14,000 per year. Shortly after, you couldn’t get a Regional job regardless of how much time and Type you had unless you went through Flight Safety. Things got better in the late 1990’s with only Southwest Airlines requiring the B737 Type as a condition of employment, a requirement that they only discontinued recently. The FAA complicated things for aspiring pilots by requiring that they complete the ATP/CTP course, costing them even more money that they must invest in themselves (or have someone invest in them).

flyExclusive no longer requires the ATP Certificate as a condition of employment, only the ATP Written complete (which of course requires the ATP-CTP Course). This has helped many pilots, both Military and Civilian, who have applied here get hired and get their ATP for free on their Type ride, that wouldn’t have been hired just a few months before because they didn’t have their ATP Certificate. Also, several pilots have come to us as graduates from ATP Flight School through their program with us.

The number that I heard last year to get a pilot online here with pay, benefits, Flight Safety/CAE, hotels, travel, uniforms, iPad, etc. was $47,000. For this investment in you and your new Type Rating and ATP Certificate (if you didn’t already have one), the Company asks that you stay here for one year with a prorated, 1 year training contract. We all hate training contracts, but honestly as a Recruiter, I can tell you that it looks really bad on your Resume if it shows that you left a company in less than a year knowing that they just bought your Type Rating (and ATP)…. So, pilots who do so need to have a good story to tell the HR person or pilot interviewing them for the new gig. We Recruiters are often friends at different companies, having met each other in adjoining booths at the job fairs, and other than DUI/Violation/etc., fast job hopping is one of the first reasons that we collectively pass over a candidate.. So, there’s that to keep in mind.

I would definitely reach out to the Regionals, which have reinstituted sponsoring the ATP-CTP Course and possibly Wheels Up. I know that their DPJ side definitely sponsored the ATP-CTP Course before the Merger. Also, I will reach out to you if our requirements change in the near future, but I am guessing that is unlikely in the near term since we have already filled our January and February INDOCs with March INDOC’s half full as well.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, GPS. I am sure that you will find a good match soon.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thumbs up Absolutely right, UTR!

Originally Posted by UTR69 View Post
That should have been a HUGE red flag to you. There have been a few operators to come and go that would have you expense to your PERSONAL credit card and then reimburse you........ buyer beware. That sets you up for all sorts of issues.

Never saw FE do anything like that but they used to have a 1 year contract on your training. It is what it is......it was a time builder for currency and then a stepping stone. However, you do you...

but reimbursement?? yeah that is a hard pass......
I agree with UTR 100%!!

In this pilot market, there is no reason on the planet to pay for your own type and only pay for the ATP-CTP if you have to. Like UTR says, it’s a great time to be a pilot and you should definitely shop around.

And never work for a place that requires you to pay for your own hotels, travel, rental cars, even Jet-A, etc. Oh yeah, getting all those points and airline miles on your personal credit card is great, but when the company goes Chapter 7/11, guess who they will come after for all those charges?? That’s right.. YOU! I’ve seen it happen.

Maybe someone should start a thread and list all the companies here that will pay for the ATP-CTP Course. While we are getting great Candidates now from various pipelines, I think that it is just a matter of time before we do so as well. Times are good, and when one pilot wins, we all win!

Last edited by B727DRVR; 12-22-2021 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Because UTR is right..
Old 12-22-2021, 04:44 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
Hey GPS,

Sorry that company wasted your time wanting you to pay for your own type: I know the feeling.
Yeah, I just mostly thought that it was comical that they even try to ask people.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:10 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2021

Originally Posted by meitnerium View Post
I’ll answer some Qs.
1. live anywhere
From their job posting "HOMEBASED: Must live within 1 hour from an airport with major airline service" so not express type service then...?
Old 12-29-2021, 06:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by Gazoom View Post
From their job posting "HOMEBASED: Must live within 1 hour from an airport with major airline service" so not express type service then...?
live anywhere, fly to an aircraft commercially day one of rotation, stay with aircraft for duration of your rotation, wherever that may be. You likely won’t see home again until after 8 or 15 days. “Home Based” different than day trips.