Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

FlyExclusive

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 12:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Cool Hey Chute, 1500TT and the ATP Written.

Originally Posted by pullthechute View Post
Anyone know what people have for hours that are getting interviews here? Looking to get out of the airline world.
Hey Chute,

We interview pilots who have their ATP Written and 1500 Total Time. Being former 121 myself, I say don’t give up on the airline world, depending on the Company. And if it is a Regional, that really doesn’t count, unless it is SKW and you live in base. I never would have left my former 121 Cargo gig, with weekends, XMAS off and 24/34 layovers, but the Great Recession killed that deal. After 2008, when my Wife’s career went vertical, there was no way that I would ever exceed her pay trajectory, so it made sense as a family to work a job with a schedule that was pretty much written in stone, so my Wife could work when she wants. This way, I get my flying fix while still supporting he career and I don’t feel like a kept man as much, LOL!

If you are at an airline, you have enough time to get on here.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Cool Look at ICAO Annex Rules

Originally Posted by zippinbye View Post
Any thoughts/knowledge on how Thrive is for retired 121 folks? I have over half a decade to go, but I'm thinking about getting my ducks in a row. My first step has been to start flying the BD-500 in order to get in touch with domestic operations and smaller airports once again, after a career with 75% or so long-haul international flying. Plus I am getting intimate with Collins Proline Fusion, which I hope would translate well to the bizjet world.

I began my career as a recip twin 135 pilot, cross-utilized as a G-II SIC, so the realities of 135 vs. air carrier are not a mystery to me. After 35+ years in a cushy 121 lifestyle, a move to getting newspapers & coffee, slinging bags, filing flight plans, etc. will be harsh and I "get it," so I'm really only going to look at upper-echelon operations that might have a predictable schedule and home-basing or happen to have a base in KLAS.

If DE Capt. or a few months' upgrade is not a possibility, I'd be leaning toward SIC on a large jet that flies mostly international. I'm not one of those guys that would go out and get type rated on a Gulfstream with my own funds, but I'd consider pursuing a CE 525 type, as I perceive it to be the most versatile rating relative to popular contemporary jets, with the idea of getting some time in type however I can, and then engaging in contract work.

I'm open to hearing about the realities of Thrive and any other post-121 employment strategies. TIA.

Hey Zipp,

You know by now that Thrive is on another thread, so you can read through that one. They have some very pretty jets with a distinctive white, blue, and black paint job and I believe that they allow home basing. I knew a pilot that went there, but lost touch.

Your main concern as an airline retiree, if you ride it all the way to 65, is that you can’t fly Internationally Part 121 or 135 if you are 65 or older. Therefore, you are somewhat less likely to get hired on a jet that flies to a lot of ICAO destinations, but there is, of course, domestic flying for the Falcons, Globals, and Gulfstreams.

Finally, never pay for your own type rating in this market… even if you can afford it. There are countless companies, including ours, that will gladly pay for your type rating.

Good luck in your search..
Old 04-27-2022, 01:19 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
Hey Chute,

We interview pilots who have their ATP Written and 1500 Total Time. Being former 121 myself, I say don’t give up on the airline world, depending on the Company. And if it is a Regional, that really doesn’t count, unless it is SKW and you live in base. I never would have left my former 121 Cargo gig, with weekends, XMAS off and 24/34 layovers, but the Great Recession killed that deal. After 2008, when my Wife’s career went vertical, there was no way that I would ever exceed her pay trajectory, so it made sense as a family to work a job with a schedule that was pretty much written in stone, so my Wife could work when she wants. This way, I get my flying fix while still supporting he career and I don’t feel like a kept man as much, LOL!

If you are at an airline, you have enough time to get on here.
First time poster with a question. I’m ATP rated, around 1700hrs, a degree if that counts, a spotless record and a solid resumé. My app has been on file for over a month with no response and I’ve tried reaching out without success. Any idea what the holdup might be? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2022, 09:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017

What can a new FO expect to make per month? How long is a typical max duty day? Do you get enough down time to rest and recover from long days of flying?
Old 05-19-2022, 09:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2019

Pay tables are on their website. $71k first year plus $10k if you do 15/13. $12,870 per diem (based on $66x195). Factor in an upgrade (depending on your time) at around month 10-11 and you’re looking at 1st year PIC pay for the last 2 months of your first year. Also factor in hourly incentive flight duty pay and a bonus day here and there, and you’re looking at clearing $115k+ for the first year. Fleet dependent however. Some fleets (Encore) are broken all the time and over staffed last I checked. If you’re on the XL expect to get worked a lot. CJ fleet is/was the most junior with quickest upgrades.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:14 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2022
Default Possible new FO

Considering a position with FE assuming I get an interview/offered a job. Curious what people like and dislike about the company / 135 life style. Coming from a 121 regional operator that I’ve been commuting to. On paper it makes more sense for me to go to FE rather stick around my regional. Better pay, better incentives, overall better treatment (it seems). Any insight to what I may be missing would be appreciated.

Also curious what the chances of getting to a major are from a 135 operator such as FE. My ultimate goal is wide body transcon flying. I understand the 121/1000 TPIC limitation is all but gone but the stigma still exists amongst my peers and myself. Any insight into that would be very appreciated. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: A350 Captain (RET)

Originally Posted by Cherokee69drvr View Post
Also curious what the chances of getting to a major are from a 135 operator such as FE. My ultimate goal is wide body transcon flying. I understand the 121/1000 TPIC limitation is all but gone but the stigma still exists amongst my peers and myself. Any insight into that would be very appreciated. Thanks for the info.
I wish you luck but I think everyone's goal is to fly a widebody transcon, except the SWA guys/gals.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2018

Originally Posted by nkweb View Post
What can a new FO expect to make per month? How long is a typical max duty day? Do you get enough down time to rest and recover from long days of flying?
I have been at FE for about 6 months. Just with bonus hours, if you are on either the CJ or XL, you can easily add 25% to those "base" figures. An FO can easily make over 100k per year first year especially if you are willing to work extra days. I really enjoy working here, WAY better than the last 135 I worked for!
Old 05-24-2022, 05:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by nkweb View Post
A friend at FE gave me a couple of tail numbers to follow to see what the trips are like. Looks like he’s getting 11.5-13 hour layovers. 2-3 legs a day on the X. Mostly 2 leg days and usually a transcon followed by a shorter flight or vice-versa.

Easier flying than I’m doing at AA…

TC
Old 05-30-2022, 02:32 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2022
Default Met some FE guys the other day

Met a FE crew in VNY. They had a lot of good things to say. Plane was beautiful and in excellent shape.