Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

FlyExclusive

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 12:00 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2022

Originally Posted by Youngjetpilot
Met a FE crew in VNY. They had a lot of good things to say. Plane was beautiful and in excellent shape.

What do they say about getting time to eat during the day and time enough for dinner and 8 hours rest after a 14 hour work day, or do you have to choose between dinner and 8 hours of sleep? Time for a 45 minute cardio workout would be nice before heading out for dinner. Even 12 hours off would be difficult getting a workout and dinner and 8 hours rest, These are more important to me than how pretty a plane is. Are they getting enough time off for rest, or the minimum 10 hours? With 10 hours off there is no way to get sufficient rest and have a healthy dinner, and a workout in, you just wind up slowly killing yourself, maintaining health is just as important as keeping the jet pretty.

Last edited by Lear24fr8; 05-30-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by Lear24fr8
What do they say about getting time to eat during the day and time enough for dinner and 8 hours rest after a 14 hour work day, or do you have to choose between dinner and 8 hours of sleep? Time for a 45 minute cardio workout would be nice before heading out for dinner. Even 12 hours off would be difficult getting a workout and dinner and 8 hours rest, These are more important to me than how pretty a plane is. Are they getting enough time off for rest, or the minimum 10 hours? With 10 hours off there is no way to get sufficient rest and have a healthy dinner, and a workout in, you just wind up slowly killing yourself, maintaining health is just as important as keeping the jet pretty.
Most nights are not min rest, and it’s hard to provide an average or typical anything in this type of flying. The fact is that you’re on rotation and they expect you to do your job based on client demand. How you manage your rest time will be up to you entirely. We have rules for crew meals based on time between flights and total duty. Can’t expect that they are going to delay flights because you didn’t have enough time to get your run in and eat dinner or breakfast. Show times for live legs are 90 min prior and 60 min for a repositioning flight. There is a lot of flexibility required for this job, even to the point of last minute changes to a repositioning destination or thinking you’re done when you get somewhere only to have to fly a recovery flight. If that doesn’t sound good, airlines may be the way to go.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

ACMi flying isn’t that much different than 135 flying, other than the size of the jet and number of crewmembers. Knowing, in advance, during your current leg of a change is not a major issue, if your aircraft of today are equipped with WiFi. Call the FBO, arrange for Grub Hub, or Uber Eats to deliver food to the FBO at your ETA. Not always the best way one wants to enjoy a repast, but at least one won’t starve. Back in the day I had the F/E phone patch the FBO and place an order for pizza or burgers for the crew. At least we had time to chow down while fueling for the next leg, even if we were not on the ground long enough to have the aircraft cleaned.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Cool I was that F/E, LOL..

Originally Posted by captjns
ACMi flying isn’t that much different than 135 flying, other than the size of the jet and number of crewmembers. Knowing, in advance, during your current leg of a change is not a major issue, if your aircraft of today are equipped with WiFi. Call the FBO, arrange for Grub Hub, or Uber Eats to deliver food to the FBO at your ETA. Not always the best way one wants to enjoy a repast, but at least one won’t starve. Back in the day I had the F/E phone patch the FBO and place an order for pizza or burgers for the crew. At least we had time to chow down while fueling for the next leg, even if we were not on the ground long enough to have the aircraft cleaned.
Truth! I was that F/E, LOL.. Part 121 Cargo B727 F.O. was the easiest job I ever had, with every weekend, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. off with 12 hour layovers on one side and 34 hour layovers on the other side... and some 34/24 layovers as well. ACMI division had better pilots, though, because they were going to different places in a moments notice challenging their skills, not the same, old canned flight plan routes like the Scheduled side of the business. Unfortunately, the music stopped for me there in the "Great" Recession, which was not so great.

Here, while I have no idea if I will be flying every day, doing hotel standby, or getting called out for a trip that cancelled (Like today, LOL), I do know my schedule one year in advance and that is what my family needs to function smoothly. When I am on the road, the Company pretty much owns us and I am fine since I signed up for that.. But when I am off, I am TOTALLY off, and I love not being on call at home like some Corporat gigs, or having "hard" days off that mean nothing if the Boss wants to fly.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Cool

Hey Lear,

We have several bodybuilder types here, that manage to get their workouts in on the road, one even carrying their own weights with them, LOL. But the way you pose this question makes me feel that Part 91 Corporate is a better fit for you.. First off, we work hard here with at least a few days on rotation being less than 12 hours of rest and sometimes even 11 hours. If we do min rest 2 nights in a row, then we get additional rest perscribed in our GOM. But here's the thing: We don't work any harder than our friends over at NJA, Flex, WUP, XO, etc. and definitely work less hard than some of our competitors.. The nature of the business requires flexibility as that is what our clients pay a great deal of money for (otherwise they could just take the regular Part 121 airlines). So if we are out on a walk or on the treadmill, we have to stop working out and go fly, LOL.. Fractional and Charter flying can DEFINITELY get in the way of guaranteed workouts and dinners at the same prescribed times, but that is the nature of the beast.

A friend of mine recently left us to go to a managed Corporate gig that was too good for him to turn down, and he sat in a hotel in Mexico City for 4 days. Next, he is going to be sitting in RNO for 2 days and he knew it all in advance. To me, it seems like this kind of job would better meet your cardio workout requirements than any of the Fractional or Charter jobs. The only problem with those "unicorn" Part 91 Corporate jobs is that they are fleeting, and can disappear in a moments notice. It doesn't seem like Netjets, Flex, XO, WUP, flyExclusive will be conducive to your workout schedule, but you might look into Part 121 Cargo or Air Ambulance flying (plenty of time to work out when you are standing by to launch..) Part 121 passenger flying might not work either unless you live in base and bid reserve with some seniority if what my friends still in 121's stories are still accurate.

I think Part 91 Corporate flying would least interfere with your training...

Good luck and stay healthy!
Old 05-31-2022, 05:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Tough getting workouts in on narrow body domestic on 121.

TC
Old 05-31-2022, 09:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Talking Priorities…

Originally Posted by AA717driver
Tough getting workouts in on narrow body domestic on 121.

TC
You gotta get your priorities straight, TC! LOL!
Old 05-31-2022, 09:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Why start now?🤣
Old 05-31-2022, 10:50 AM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

So you’re looking for a job that accommodates YOUR schedule?
Maybe self employment is the answer.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:47 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2010

Originally Posted by AA717driver
Why start now?🤣
My workout is to climb the wobbly stairs to the main deck then the near vertical stairs to the upper deck with bags. 10 min cool down then work 10 hours. Repeat next day.