FlyExclusive

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 09:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Cool A tale of 2 First Officers..

Originally Posted by 135burner View Post
Doesn't it seem odd that the company is hiring direct entry captains with a 2 year training contract but they aren't upgrading FO's? It's almost as if they know they have these direct entry captains on the hook for 2 years and purposely put off the FO's for upgrade who they know are on the hook for a year. It's a win-lose situation for the current pilots.
Hey Burner,

First off, let's get you upgraded! Not to be Captain Obvious, but if you haven't already.. start letting EVERY Captain and the CP that you are READY to upgrade and intend to do so as soon as possible. Ask them for a Letter of Recommendation and have them forward it to you and the Chief Pilot. Start pushing hard and ask them, and yourself, what do I need to do to upgrade? I have given IOE to many pilots who became Captains here in 5 to 7 months, so it seems that there is some kind of disconnect for you. We do have several senior FO's who, for whatever reason, chose not to Upgrade, but we also have MANY Captains here who have upgraded quickly, like in 6 months or less..

Sometimes in a non-seniority only based upgrade environment, some FO's get upgraded before other FO's.. Reason's vary, but sometimes you have to push hard for it as opposed to in the Part 121 world, you knew that when B727DRVR retired, quit, was fired, or died, you KNEW that you would be upgrading next. The Part 135 World is different..: Sometimes, First Officers are hired that have their ATP's, but don't have the minimum times to upgrade required by the rating agency Argus Wyvern. When that happens, companies will recruit "Street Captain's" or "Direct Entry Captains (DEC's)".. In the 121 World, these out of seniority Captain hires are hired but only hold a reserve line for a long time because as FO's upgrade, they keep getting pushed back on the Captain's list. In most of the Part 135 World where it isn't seniority only when it comes to upgrade, its based on several factors, ability to upgrade being the common thread among all companies. At our Company, they really avoided hiring DEC's because they knew that upgrading from within was better for pilot morale and that DEC's were an unknown quantity. But when we acquired new fleet types and grew, we didn't have enough typed Captains and they needed to hire Direct Entry Captains. It takes Captains to make Captains, so this isn't always a bad thing.

Now to my tale of 2 First Officers.. I am arriving into PBI after an airline delay in CLT. I arrive at Signature PBI with just an hour before departure for a live leg. I arrived at the jet to find the FO vacuuming the jet and prepping for the departure. He said "Hey, I knew that you were late, so I did the acceptance for you, did the FRAT, filed a flight plan, and did the w&B/Perf.. I hope that I didn't step on your toes, There's 4000 Lbs onboard.. I hope that I didn't step on your toes". WOW! That FO changed the course of my day and went onto upgrade quickly with my eager recommendation.

Fast forward to another time that I was delayed on my airline flight, and arriving at Signature West HPN and the tale of another first officer.. With an hour before another live leg, I arrived at Signature to meet my FO who had been there for two hours in HPN on his Day 1 as well.. When I asked him how much fuel we had onboard the jet, he said "I don't know.. I've been waiting for you"... LOL! Later on in the day, he asked me how come he hadn't upgraded yet?!? Don't be this FO..

If you are on the XL, maybe I can help. I have some amazing gouge that might help for your files. Know the Limitations (for any jet..), Know the Standard Calls and Flows from the FCM (Read it if you haven't).. Know what happens when you Lift Cover and Push the fire Button.. Know when the crossfeed comes on.. Etc., etc. Upgrading is never easy, but it can be manageable. PM me and I would be happy to help you in any way I can to get you upgraded. Sometimes you have to be the squeaky wheel when it comes to Upgrade in the 135 World, so let's start squeaking. Not all Captains are the best mentors, so you might have to give them a kind push. Volunteer to do every FRAT, flight plan filing, W&B, perf, acceptance etc. That, along with knowing your jet, the SOP's, should help you attain that 4th stripe. When the ACP calls you, maybe even on short notice, and asks if you are ready to upgrade.. Make sure that you can say YES!

So PM me and let's get going on this...
Old 04-24-2022, 04:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019
Position: Poolside

Great advice (as usual). In this type of upgrade environment, it is the FO’s that are already thinking like Captains that get the nod, and not the ones who are waiting to be entitled.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:31 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2021
Default Competitive hours?

Anyone know what people have for hours that are getting interviews here? Looking to get out of the airline world.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by pullthechute View Post
Anyone know what people have for hours that are getting interviews here? Looking to get out of the airline world.
Do you hold an ATP and have any jet time? If so you’re competitive. Even if you don’t have an your ATP, but qualify for one, you’d likely get an interview.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Still in one

Originally Posted by pullthechute View Post
I suggest you focus on a better airline
Old 04-27-2022, 09:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: 320/A

Any thoughts/knowledge on how Thrive is for retired 121 folks? I have over half a decade to go, but I'm thinking about getting my ducks in a row. My first step has been to start flying the BD-500 in order to get in touch with domestic operations and smaller airports once again, after a career with 75% or so long-haul international flying. Plus I am getting intimate with Collins Proline Fusion, which I hope would translate well to the bizjet world.

I began my career as a recip twin 135 pilot, cross-utilized as a G-II SIC, so the realities of 135 vs. air carrier are not a mystery to me. After 35+ years in a cushy 121 lifestyle, a move to getting newspapers & coffee, slinging bags, filing flight plans, etc. will be harsh and I "get it," so I'm really only going to look at upper-echelon operations that might have a predictable schedule and home-basing or happen to have a base in KLAS.

If DE Capt. or a few months' upgrade is not a possibility, I'd be leaning toward SIC on a large jet that flies mostly international. I'm not one of those guys that would go out and get type rated on a Gulfstream with my own funds, but I'd consider pursuing a CE 525 type, as I perceive it to be the most versatile rating relative to popular contemporary jets, with the idea of getting some time in type however I can, and then engaging in contract work.

I'm open to hearing about the realities of Thrive and any other post-121 employment strategies. TIA.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2019

FlyExclusive has basing in LAS. But I would put this in a Thrive thread because you’re asking about Thrive…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2022, 11:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: 320/A

Originally Posted by meitnerium View Post
FlyExclusive has basing in LAS. But I would put this in a Thrive thread because you’re asking about Thrive…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, sorry guys - thread misdirect. DA move.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

zippinbye—16 months to go. Planning on going this summer.

Dont buy a rating! It doesn’t look good and any company that hires you has to put you through their full school. Any rating requirements or desire by an employer is to see that you’ve done the job and are a better bet than someone without the rating.

I’m thinking there may be part time opportunities near your residence—lots of hungry 135 outfits that are really short on pilots. That will get you spooled up in the community and you’ll be snapped up before the water from the fire truck salute dries up!

Now, what the heck is “Thrive”?🤣 Sorry for the hijack, guys!

TC
Old 04-27-2022, 12:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Thumbs up You don’t have to worry anymore at NJA!

Originally Posted by Peabody17 View Post
Great advice (as usual). In this type of upgrade environment, it is the FO’s that are already thinking like Captains that get the nod, and not the ones who are waiting to be entitled.
Thanks Peabody, LOL..

You are at NJA now, so you know EXACTLY when you are going to upgrade.. How is the CE-680 treating you?