Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

skatergeek 02-01-2009 07:45 AM


Originally Posted by SkyStormer6 (Post 549542)
What are the chances of someone with just below 135 mins, about 100 hours short, of getting an SIC position or doing the "pay to play" deal. I'm currently doing single pilot IFR in a 310 and loving every minute of it. I'd like to look into Ameriflight a little more, seems like it would be my cup of tea. Just sent my resume so I guess I'll find out soon enough anyway, just thought I'd see if anyone was getting on as an SIC right now.

I might be missing something, but how are you doing single pilot IFR if you are below the 135 IFR PIC mins?

"pay to play" = RETARDED!! you shouldn't pay to go to work..

Blkflyer 02-01-2009 02:17 PM


Originally Posted by SkyStormer6 (Post 549542)
What are the chances of someone with just below 135 mins, about 100 hours short, of getting an SIC position or doing the "pay to play" deal. I'm currently doing single pilot IFR in a 310 and loving every minute of it. I'd like to look into Ameriflight a little more, seems like it would be my cup of tea. Just sent my resume so I guess I'll find out soon enough anyway, just thought I'd see if anyone was getting on as an SIC right now.

If you are paying money to Sit in the right seat.. SHAME on YOU,

PAY your DUES get the time and experience any other way than paying to play...

DBSociety 02-01-2009 09:50 PM

PLAY is something I do on my days off and usually involves spending the money I EARNED by being a PROFESSIONAL PILOT. The only situations where "pay to play" is appropriate is a buy in at the poker table and an certain bars in Thailand.

freightdog 02-02-2009 07:29 AM


Originally Posted by skatergeek (Post 549754)
I might be missing something, but how are you doing single pilot IFR if you are below the 135 IFR PIC mins?

"pay to play" = RETARDED!! you shouldn't pay to go to work..

He might be flying that 310 on his own dime, single pilot.

I agree, "pay to play" is retarded. Go split time in a C172 with your buddies or go fly pipelines.

Abbey2 02-02-2009 12:49 PM

I agree that paying for a flying job is ridiculous. Especially a SIC job which even if they did pay you would not be much. But right now I would take a pipeline job if there was one.

own nav 02-02-2009 03:02 PM

Ok, I'll bite. I know it's unpopular to support the FO program, go bash Gulfstream, Vision, or some other program where they're actually paying for a job they otherwise would be unqualified for.

Amerflight's program is pretty much an unpaid internship. Your payment is the experience, and if you leave the program unprepared for your next job (believe it or not, most FOs don't end up at Ameriflight), it's your own fault.

Freightdog, I've got to disagree. My FOs get a lot more out of flying with me than they would splitting time in a C172. If you hate FOs, it's your choice not to fly with them. It's my opinion that you should give them their money's worth and work them hard.

BTW, I have an FO who wants to know where he can find a piplelne job with 300 hours. Any ideas?

freightdog 02-03-2009 11:16 AM


Originally Posted by own nav (Post 550685)
Ok, I'll bite. I know it's unpopular to support the FO program, go bash Gulfstream, Vision, or some other program where they're actually paying for a job they otherwise would be unqualified for.

Amerflight's program is pretty much an unpaid internship. Your payment is the experience, and if you leave the program unprepared for your next job (believe it or not, most FOs don't end up at Ameriflight), it's your own fault.

Freightdog, I've got to disagree. My FOs get a lot more out of flying with me than they would splitting time in a C172. If you hate FOs, it's your choice not to fly with them. It's my opinion that you should give them their money's worth and work them hard.

BTW, I have an FO who wants to know where he can find a piplelne job with 300 hours. Any ideas?

Own nav,

I'm not arguing with you that there are some "pay to play" FOs that are really good out there. I have had some good ones and some bad ones. The bad experiences I have had with them stem from their attitude of "you do know I'm paying for this right?" I've had FOs refuse to help load cargo, not have appropriate charts and ask to borrow mine, etc. If the Company would create our own in house FO program then we could stop having to take the EJI pilots and have a better "filter" in training. Some of the most fun I had was splitting time in a C172, BE36, Seneca, etc.

On the pipeline jobs, I've seen some ads on Pilot Jobs, Aviation Jobs, Aviation Employment, Career Fairs, Job Fairs for pipeline patrol in West Texas. I couldn't tell you the name of the company, but a quick google search would probably turn up some results.

Are you based in SLC?

own nav 02-03-2009 12:38 PM

Thanks Freightdog, I'll pass on the info to my FO, and yes I'm SLC based (we have met).

I'll admit, I've seen some bad FO's, they don't progress in their career for good reason. Seriously, if anyone's arguing that people are "buying" their careers, I strongly disagree. For the most part, the slackers stagnate in their attempts to get a job (regionals, AMF, or anywhere). The ones with a good attitude, unfortunately, have to deal with the "PFT" label/stereotype.

It's not just about the career opportunities either. I'm a firm believer that your first few encounters with hard IFR shouldn't be as the sole occupant of the aircraft (or with someone just as inexperienced as you are). Idaho in the winter is great for exposing my FOs to hard IFR.

E170Driver 02-03-2009 11:54 PM

Hey would anyone know the chances of getting hired with AmeriFlight with 1153 total time. I left my solid job at American Eagle for a "better" job with Republic and now find myself on streets and looking for work cursing the day I thought it would be a good idea to quit Eagle. Should I start looking for someone to split time with or is it a soft min?

skatergeek 02-04-2009 06:17 AM

You need 1200TT for 135 IFR mins, but I have seen ads for 1180...guess you could get the last 20 during training? Join the club, seems like a lot of people are trying to get on with Ameriflight right now...myself included...


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:46 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands