Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

BeardedFlyer 12-02-2012 03:09 PM

I always read people saying "if you can keep your record clean and stick out a couple years at AMflight..."

What kind of things do pilots usually get busted for here?

freightdog 12-03-2012 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by BeardedFlyer (Post 1303757)
I always read people saying "if you can keep your record clean and stick out a couple years at AMflight..."

What kind of things do pilots usually get busted for here?

Unfortunately the pilots that do get in trouble usually bring it upon themselves and then blame others for their misfortune. No flight department wants to hear someone whining about how it's everyone else's fault for XXXXXX. Pilots have been let go for doing something stupid, then trying to cover it up/lie about it.

In most cases, if you did something wrong, stupid (bend an airplane, confrontation, etc) are honest and upfront about it, the flight department will go to bat for you in helping you to keep your job.

Fly Boy Knight 12-03-2012 09:17 AM

The "survival" mentality at Ameriflight (or any single pilot operation) is kind of inherent to the type of flying as well. Flying single pilot isn't "dangerous" per say however it does require a much higher level of attention to detail in one's flying.

Simple tricks like leaving your hand on the flap lever until the flaps are ACTUALLY at the position you selected and moving your hand over the ice protection switches every takeoff instead of just when you have to are ways to mitigate some of these risks however, the fact that there are only one set of eyes watching over you inherently raises the potential for mistakes to creep in.

In a two crew environment, something as simple as one pilot saying "runway heading check" or "were we cleared for the approach yet?" can be the difference between an uneventful flight and an enforcement action but in the single pilot world, there is no "extra safeguard" against the limits to a human's attention to detail.

As freight dog said, there have been instances where pilots get fired for doing "dumb" things and, although the same can be said for any airline, the fact that you are alone and that nobody is directly watching over you can lead to more complacency, more slacking in the procedures, and more potential for errors to creep into your flying without you even being aware of it and unfortunately for the pilots, Ameriflight has to treat these little "mistakes" as big threats because, to be frank, these little mistakes CAN be a huge threat to both you and the company so, although AMF and other single pilot operators my appear to be more "fire-happy" than say the regional airlines, they are that way for good reason.

As for the "bad employee" aspect, making a mistake and covering it up or lying about things will end your employment just about anywhere and, as freight dog said, these particular people usually do bring it on themselves. If you choose to be lazy / complacent / lax in your profiles/procedures, you are just compounding the inherent higher level of risk involved with the job. With respect to this, if you make a mistake, have the integrity to fess up and take your licks because being suspended for an honest mistake and having a little blip appear on your PRIA is much better than being "Not eligible for re-hire"

Tempest 12-05-2012 08:30 AM

Don't quit your daytime Job.

I heard the last class of Chieftan pilots passed Indoc but had half of them not make it through simulator training. One of them had prior 135 and flew the Chieftan before with 4000 hours of experience.

Also heard one of their pilots got sent back to base when trying to upgrade to the BE99 because his IFR skills were not up to company standards.

Crazy Canuck 12-05-2012 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tempest (Post 1305476)
Don't quit your daytime Job.

I heard the last class of Chieftan pilots passed Indoc but had half of them not make it through simulator training. One of them had prior 135 and flew the Chieftan before with 4000 hours of experience.

Also heard one of their pilots got sent back to base when trying to upgrade to the BE99 because his IFR skills were not up to company standards.

Jeez! Have you ever thought maybe there's a REASON for this? What is with some people these days and expecting to get through training, IOW, and get a type rating like it's "owed to them." Work hard, study, do your due diligence and you won't be cut. And if you are, maybe consider a career change.

I've seen WAY too many people who have no business flying an airplane pushed through training, and to date, I'm lucky one of them has not yet managed to kill me.

cfouriv 12-05-2012 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fly Boy Knight (Post 1304153)
The "survival" mentality at Ameriflight (or any single pilot operation) is kind of inherent to the type of flying as well. Flying single pilot isn't "dangerous" per say however it does require a much higher level of attention to detail in one's flying.

Simple tricks like leaving your hand on the flap lever until the flaps are ACTUALLY at the position you selected and moving your hand over the ice protection switches every takeoff instead of just when you have to are ways to mitigate some of these risks however, the fact that there are only one set of eyes watching over you inherently raises the potential for mistakes to creep in.

In a two crew environment, something as simple as one pilot saying "runway heading check" or "were we cleared for the approach yet?" can be the difference between an uneventful flight and an enforcement action but in the single pilot world, there is no "extra safeguard" against the limits to a human's attention to detail.

As freight dog said, there have been instances where pilots get fired for doing "dumb" things and, although the same can be said for any airline, the fact that you are alone and that nobody is directly watching over you can lead to more complacency, more slacking in the procedures, and more potential for errors to creep into your flying without you even being aware of it and unfortunately for the pilots, Ameriflight has to treat these little "mistakes" as big threats because, to be frank, these little mistakes CAN be a huge threat to both you and the company so, although AMF and other single pilot operators my appear to be more "fire-happy" than say the regional airlines, they are that way for good reason.

As for the "bad employee" aspect, making a mistake and covering it up or lying about things will end your employment just about anywhere and, as freight dog said, these particular people usually do bring it on themselves. If you choose to be lazy / complacent / lax in your profiles/procedures, you are just compounding the inherent higher level of risk involved with the job. With respect to this, if you make a mistake, have the integrity to fess up and take your licks because being suspended for an honest mistake and having a little blip appear on your PRIA is much better than being "Not eligible for re-hire"

You crack me up! Now wheres my book!? See if I lend to you again, LOL!

Fly Boy Knight 12-06-2012 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by cfouriv (Post 1305717)
You crack me up! Now wheres my book!? See if I lend to you again, LOL!

Would it be ironic if I told you I sold it? Lol

SongMan 12-06-2012 06:09 PM

Updates please.

1. Req Multi hour of 50 still firm to get hired?
2. 6 month contract possible? or is 1 year still the minimum?

Thank you!

freightdog 12-06-2012 08:05 PM

Updates please.

1. Req Multi hour of 50 still firm to get hired?
2. 6 month contract possible? or is 1 year still the minimum?

Thank you!
1.) The minimum multi time is a floating number, but around 50 multi sounds about right.

2.) One year "integrity" agreement still in place. A year isn't that long of time to commit to a place.

Turbine 12-13-2012 07:48 PM

I have a friend who was fired from Ameriflight after failing one recurrent simulator checkride on the metro, after working there for over 3 years !

He had never had problems with training or checkrides in the past. He had flown the metro for a year and a half or so, and the Ameriflight instructor didn't like the way he did a stall or something and failed him. No retraining or anything.

If that is indeed the full story, that is some BS.

I have also heard from another friend that used to work at AMflight that once pilots start getting a little too high on the payscale, and or cheif pilots don't like them they will find a way to fire them. The other story that stood out was in CVG. Supposedly a captain wrote something up and was upset that it had not been fixed yet. The cheif pilot told the mx guy to help get the captain ****ed off so they could fire him over it. The mx guy declined and said that they could not fire him for writing something up. The mx guy ended up getting fired.

There are always two sides to a story and I do not have all the facts I am sure, but they are concering none the less.