Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 01:41 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Position: E145

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
(and this is because a smiley by itself is too short of a message for the system to accept.)
This job isn't for everyone. If you can't fly fast, on round gauges, without an autopilot, FMS, or a GPS then this may not be the job for you. Shooting approaches to 200 & 1/2, in snow and icing, by hand can get you killed. I'm not discrediting those who fly glass aircraft or TAA, but if you want to work here you need to be up to par with old-school flying.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:28 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2014

So the only aircraft that are based in Dfw are the Sa227s and Be1900s? What are the schedules for them. I am in 121 now and am looking to be based out of dfw and see my family a bit more. I like to have a complete knowledge of a position before I apply. I would be applying for a PIC position.

Thanks y'all
Old 05-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: the right side

Originally Posted by Jrflight View Post
So the only aircraft that are based in Dfw are the Sa227s and Be1900s? What are the schedules for them. I am in 121 now and am looking to be based out of dfw and see my family a bit more. I like to have a complete knowledge of a position before I apply. I would be applying for a PIC position.

Thanks y'all
I'm not super familiar with the DFW base, but I would venture to guess you aren't going to be able to be a direct 227/1900 hire to DFW.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Jrflight View Post

Thanks y'all
Originally Posted by KSCessnaDriver View Post
I'm not super familiar with the DFW base, but I would venture to guess you aren't going to be able to be a direct 227/1900 hire to DFW.
KS is right. You won't get a direct hire to DFW in a typed airplane, no matter what your experience. There are just too many people that want the same thing. We never seem to have a problem filling the DFW slots internally.

As to the specifics of your question, technically, all of the DFW based pilots are reserves. And while one pilot is only qualified in the metro, dual qualified reserve pilots are much more usable. (Which is another reason why a direct hire to a DFW typed position is less likely.) There are two DHL runs (M AM to F PM) that they cover (one metro, one BE1900 which is actually an every other day run covered by two pilots due to duty/rest times.) There is also a Sunday metro run. In addition, they cover for when pilots on the scheduled lines are sick, on vacation, or when one leaves and there are a few weeks until a replacement is available. So the schedule is quite varied, a good deal of the time you are home nights and weekends. When you are covering reserve, the shift is normally scheduled for 12 hours of duty and you will usually sit at the base from the start of your shift until all that period's (AM or PM) flights are done with their runs. Typically that is 5 - 8 hours. After that you are released to phone standby for the remainder of your shift.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
Did you mean smiley, cuz I see a gasp. I'm sensing you got word of this a little before the rest of us.
Ok, I should have said "gasp" but generically they are all smilies.

The first direct word I heard was the notice that came out yesterday. But I had speculated about it ever since we moved into the old Kitty Hawk hanger here at DFW. There is SOOOOO much space available upstairs that we currently aren't using. Combine that with a new owner who lives in FL, the central location of DFW vs BUR as the company has become more nationwide instead of west coast and the tax structure of TX vs CA and it becomes pretty much a no brainer.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:37 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2014
Default just as i said

Originally Posted by KSCessnaDriver View Post
I know a guy who went AMF to Allegiant this year. It can be done, but not by you it sounds. Ameriflight is not nearly as bad as you made it out to be
You can be hired at Allegiant like you can be hired from any other major, yes, but after how many years you have been at AMF.
Do you really consider Allegiant a major?
Majors to me are Delta, United, AA and Southwest, with the due respect for everyone esle.
No, i will never apply to Allegiant, and even if you want to go there you have a lot better chances to do it from a regional than from AMF.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:39 AM
Line Holder

were not bad at all, doesn't that you had a good time...
Old 05-14-2014, 06:43 AM
Line Holder

agree, but before leaving make sure you have another contract already signed.
The best thing they'll do, and i know by experience, is not to write anything on your PRIA but to simply use a telephone.
Recruiters all know each others and a simple phone call can prevent you from been hired anywhere and you'll never know why. Would you spend 20k to give a type rating to a pilot who has already broken training contract?
That's why i think that AMF can stop you flying career even before it starts.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:45 AM
Line Holder

I agree, I had the same experience last year.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:52 AM
Line Holder

Sorry for you, but i forgot to metion.
In my group I WAS THE ONLY ONE TO PASS THE TRAINING.
Yes i do know how to fly steam gauges! The things that happend to me, happend after I finished the training.
One of the reason your flying career can finish even before starting is because if you don't pass a part 135 or part 121 training, the next company will have problem hiring and spending money to give a type rating to a pilot who has already failed a training!!!
So the headsup for the one who want to apply to AMF is make sure you are 200% proficient with steam gauges before you apply.
Second if your final goal is not to retire as an AMF pilot, be advided that the rest of the worl, Major, Regional, Cargo, etc. FLY GLASS and they really like you to have experience with FMS, ACARS, a working autopilt, etc...