In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

I lived in South Korea for a few years, I don't mind them
Old 03-23-2017, 07:49 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: B200

Oh, and your recruiters are telling people that they can home-base on a 2/2, but then that becomes 18/12, then maybe 2 and 1. You can't build a base of stable employees by lying to them before they even hit the property. Some of these folks are making important opportunity-cost decisions based on what you tell them during the hiring phase, so tell them the f-ing deal straight up.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:57 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

I would be just fine with 18/12. If this would be possible with AMF, I would apply right away.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:25 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by dera View Post
I would be just fine with 18/12. If this would be possible with AMF, I would apply right away.
That's what I'm talking about buddy!

It's amazing how many people spend thousands of dollars to learn this trade and then *#^@) about working.... I don't understand when people show no signs of gratefulness for the ability they have so graciously been given. Not everyone has the skills or aptitude to be a pilot. If you want 5 on 2 off, you can have the job I just quit to pursue my dream.

I'm days away from applying to AF and can't wait to fly for food, and if 18/12 is what they are pumping out, Sign me the eff up! (*drops mic*)
Old 03-24-2017, 06:49 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by dera View Post
Hi, there!

We do have an 18/12 schedule if you are home-based.
But if you live near one of our bases (non home based), it's more like 5/2.

I haven't heard of a 2/2 and hope that none of our recruiters are advertising that.

Let me know if you have any questions! We'd love to have you apply!

Best regards!
Old 03-24-2017, 07:04 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
Hi, there!

I haven't heard of a 2/2 and hope that none of our recruiters are advertising that.

Best regards!
I can assure you that folks are being told 2/2 applies to home basing. With a recent Metro new-hire I know when the truth came out during training, after some back and forth, it contributed to that person leaving before IOE. I'm also familiar with another older fella who is an attorney and was told that his schedule would be 2/2, so I'm waiting to hear how he takes the deception once it comes to light. Both these guys have other job offers out there with higher base salaries. It was the home basing schedule that enticed them.

With regard to 5/2, those of you with wives or families should know that Ameriflight is in ever hopeful mode with the mention of a full-weekend off. Their customers demand, generally speaking, Saturday delivery, and a schedule of 6/1 is what you get with only one full day off per week. So what 5/2 really means is you get Saturday afternoon off and Monday morning off, but you will usually fly until mid-day Saturday and show for your Monday night too. That maybe more than anything helps the company have high-turnover. Most normal folks find that untenable after a year or so as older people have families that they miss every night and most young guys want a block of time off to travel or whatever. Two of the guys at the base nearest me are in the process of leaving due to never getting the time off they need, one for family issues and one for block time off issues. These are both low-time guys who loved the job for about 6 months but got rapidly disgruntled regarding schedule.

I'd think that if you really want your flight time belly scratched by Ameriflight then just go in with your eyes open and ask some questions regarding schedule and maybe get something in writing.

Last edited by Akutan Bandit; 03-24-2017 at 07:10 AM. Reason: content add
Old 03-24-2017, 07:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Retired for now

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
Hi, there!

Best regards!
What do you have for home based Captains other than 18/12?
Old 03-24-2017, 07:04 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by chubakabrah View Post
That's what I'm talking about buddy!

It's amazing how many people spend thousands of dollars to learn this trade and then *#^@) about working.... I don't understand when people show no signs of gratefulness for the ability they have so graciously been given. Not everyone has the skills or aptitude to be a pilot. If you want 5 on 2 off, you can have the job I just quit to pursue my dream.

I'm days away from applying to AF and can't wait to fly for food, and if 18/12 is what they are pumping out, Sign me the eff up! (*drops mic*)
Home basing is the only way to get the blocks of time off such as 18/12. So far, to be home based you have to fly the larger half of the fleet, it hasn't applied to PA-31's or 99's. What they did was create a carrot for guys to aspire to, and a reason to hang in. By the time you qualify for that carrot at Amflight you can find someone offering much more elsewhere, which is why they created a trail of crumbs to the next carrot: a "peak-to-peak" bonus of $20,000 if you stay from last peak to next peak (you don't even have to wear the stupid hat they literally send to you advertising the "peaks").

What all the games amount to is an attempt to stall until they can clone more guys with your attitude. By the time you qualify for home basing your several years of 6 on-1 off may have you singing a different tune than "sign me the eff up." Management seems to think between the business cycle, importing foreign FO's, and dangling fruit just out of reach of current employees (I know, carrots are a vegetable) they can stall long enough until things turn and labor inflation abates. I hope they're wrong.

Ameriflight has some fantastic employees, as do other poorly managed companies. But Ameriflight and outfits like them have directly contributed to the labor supply situation we find ourselves in today. I used to fuel Navajo's for Amflight in the early 90's, and when it came time for me to build time I didn't even consider them since I had the flexibility to go to Alaska and make 3 to 5x the money. I know not everyone has that latitude, but I'd think long and hard today about going to fly with this company given the other opportunities out there.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:58 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by Akutan Bandit View Post
Home basing is the only way to get the blocks of time off such as 18/12. So far, to be home based you have to fly the larger half of the fleet, it hasn't applied to PA-31's or 99's. What they did was create a carrot for guys to aspire to, and a reason to hang in. By the time you qualify for that carrot at Amflight you can find someone offering much more elsewhere, which is why they created a trail of crumbs to the next carrot: a "peak-to-peak" bonus of $20,000 if you stay from last peak to next peak (you don't even have to wear the stupid hat they literally send to you advertising the "peaks").

What all the games amount to is an attempt to stall until they can clone more guys with your attitude. By the time you qualify for home basing your several years of 6 on-1 off may have you singing a different tune than "sign me the eff up." Management seems to think between the business cycle, importing foreign FO's, and dangling fruit just out of reach of current employees (I know, carrots are a vegetable) they can stall long enough until things turn and labor inflation abates. I hope they're wrong.

Ameriflight has some fantastic employees, as do other poorly managed companies. But Ameriflight and outfits like them have directly contributed to the labor supply situation we find ourselves in today. I used to fuel Navajo's for Amflight in the early 90's, and when it came time for me to build time I didn't even consider them since I had the flexibility to go to Alaska and make 3 to 5x the money. I know not everyone has that latitude, but I'd think long and hard today about going to fly with this company given the other opportunities out there.
You know, I am there right with you. I got attracted by the pay scale on the Metroliner and the long break during the day.

If I look at DPJ or plane sense the 8 days looks like a long stretch but at least you get the 6 days off. That 6/1 every week is not for me. But I do love the sound and looks of that Metroliner..

People of Ameriflight, make it a 4/3 and I will apply!

(Wishful.... You know)
Old 03-25-2017, 09:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Akutan Bandit View Post

The home base isn't actually aimed at the low time guys coming in. We know that most of them are going to leave after a relatively short time. (I just wish it were at least till the end of the time they agree to when they hire on and get trained.)

The primary purpose of the home base in the upper planes is the meet the needs of the folks coming on as a second career. Ones who aren't in a position to up and move but want to still be flying.

And I'm not sure what your comment about "importing foreign FOs" has to do with anything. That program predates any of the current labor shortages and, in fact, is going to be phased out in order to bring on our own FOs who we want to build time to become captains. We really get very little out of the Korean FOs from an operations standpoint. It is a small income stream that our previous owners set up that actually hurts our current plans for pilot supply.

Originally Posted by towlowtrain77 View Post
You know, I am there right with you. I got attracted by the pay scale on the Metroliner and the long break during the day.

If I look at DPJ or plane sense the 8 days looks like a long stretch but at least you get the 6 days off. That 6/1 every week is not for me. But I do love the sound and looks of that Metroliner..

People of Ameriflight, make it a 4/3 and I will apply!

(Wishful.... You know)
4/3 is a target for many in base runs. (The CID and ALB runs out of CVG, for example.) But we need the staffing to be able to do it. We can't promise or maintain that type of schedule when we are bleeding pilots.