Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

slipped 08-04-2009 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainTeezy (Post 655445)
Ameriflight has always been my top choice over any regional airline. I think it is sad that you dont realize that Ameriflight will give you a huge opportunity to learn more than you ever could sitting SIC at some RJ operator.

Chances are...if you didnt ever really want to be there, then you dont belong there. Ameriflight is not a place for low time pilots to go just because they want a job. The 135 world is a beast that will crush you in a hurry if you are of the typical 300-700 hour low time guy who is just "tired of instructing and want to fly THE JET!"

GPS pink line followers, 2 pilot crew "training" from pilot mills, and RJ courses are not what Ameriflight and other 135 operators are looking for.

Totally agree

propjunkie 08-04-2009 11:58 AM

Im a new hire based in PDX. I just signed a month lease on a furnished two bedroom apartment. If any AMF pilots are looking for a place to stay pm me.

CaptainTeezy 08-04-2009 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mythbuster (Post 655825)
OK skygod.:rolleyes:

That's Mr. SkyGod...and Mr. SkyGod wants to know if you have ever flown 135 single pilot IFR??? I bet if you had, you would agree with me.

mosquito 08-07-2009 07:38 AM

question

Do we need to order the Jeps Chart before we get to ground school or Ameriflight will help us order it when we get there on day one? If I need to order it now can someone provide a link?

Thanks

freightdog 08-07-2009 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by mosquito (Post 657880)
Do we need to order the Jeps Chart before we get to ground school or Ameriflight will help us order it when we get there on day one? If I need to order it now can someone provide a link?

Thanks

Ameriflight provides you with Jepp Charts and Binders. When I started at AMF we had to buy our own charts and then get reimbursed. About two years ago we changed over to completely providing the charts when new hires go into ground school. The only thing I see most pilots buy is a trip book.

mosquito 08-07-2009 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by freightdog (Post 657895)
Ameriflight provides you with Jepp Charts and Binders. When I started at AMF we had to buy our own charts and then get reimbursed. About two years ago we changed over to completely providing the charts when new hires go into ground school. The only thing I see most pilots buy is a trip book.

Thanks for the info Freightdog, But the letter of employment stated that I have to buy the charts. So I'll guess I'll hold off for now.

freightdog 08-07-2009 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by mosquito (Post 657927)
Thanks for the info Freightdog, But the letter of employment stated that I have to buy the charts. So I'll guess I'll hold off for now.

Then that's a change in policy. I would call AMF and ask for clarification.

TangoBar 08-08-2009 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mythbuster (Post 655825)
OK skygod.:rolleyes:

Now now, Chieftains may not be as fancy as that B737, but AMF does keep people flying. You learn a lot, you sharpen your skills, and there haven't been any layoffs or furloughs. In fact, there's been a little bit of growth- not bad in the current climate.

For living at PDX, I would suggest looking across the river in Vancouver- there's no state income tax, and as a pilot you can claim exempt from Oregon state taxes under the RLA. Several pilots at the base live over there; check with them on places to live. The management at Hampton Hills ****ed me off, but others may have different opinions.

Do not order Jepps beforehand- you'll take care of that during Indoc. AMF now handles the accounts. If you already have a subscription, they will transfer the payments to their account.

NightIP 08-08-2009 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainTeezy (Post 655445)
Ameriflight has always been my top choice over any regional airline. I think it is sad that you dont realize that Ameriflight will give you a huge opportunity to learn more than you ever could sitting SIC at some RJ operator.

Chances are...if you didnt ever really want to be there, then you dont belong there. Ameriflight is not a place for low time pilots to go just because they want a job. The 135 world is a beast that will crush you in a hurry if you are of the typical 300-700 hour low time guy who is just "tired of instructing and want to fly THE JET!"

GPS pink line followers, 2 pilot crew "training" from pilot mills, and RJ courses are not what Ameriflight and other 135 operators are looking for.

I totally agree, and I'm a furloughed jjjjjjet guy myself. All-weather single-pilot flying makes a man of you. :)

undflyboy06 08-12-2009 11:15 AM

Just found out that Ameriflight doesn't reimburse you one cent when you have to move, even to the initial base after you are finished with training. I mean some reimbursement would be great, but when you have to move half way across the country and use a professional moving company to do it it gives you a different perspective.

Sorry if I’m ranting. Just want to give everyone else a heads up in the August and September class if you didn’t already know.