Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

freightdog 03-04-2010 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by BTPM (Post 772812)
I don't know what you are flying or where your based, but try not to crap on the training too bad, shall we. One of the aircraft systems ground schools was just audited by the FAA and they said it was on par with what Horizon Airlines is doing, and clearly head and shoulders above what ANY 135 operator is currently offering. There are a lot of good people involved in the training department who go way above and beyond every day to make life better for you. If you know who I am, then you know it's true.

*two thumbs up*

Scooter2525 03-04-2010 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by BTPM (Post 772807)
That's not quite true...Yes the flows are vitally important if you want to succeed, but you need to know the indoc material also.

I should have been more clear... INDOC material IS important. Evenings during training should be spent going over that days material. Practicing the flows prior to a class date will give the student more time to focus on the knowlege stuff before hitting the sims. Although it sounds like you are closely tied to the training dept so I'll fade out.... quiet...ly. :D

FlyJSH 03-04-2010 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 771849)
Good one.

Seriously, though, one thing that people might not consider is that AMF doesn't mind you using them as a stepping stone to bigger things.

Sure, you want to fulfill your commitment, make a contribution and all, but telling them that you want to fly for a major airline, fractional, etc in a few years, won't hurt you at all.

I hope my little jest was not taken the wrong way. I used to fly a 'Van for a company that was bought by AirNow. Whenever the self loading cargo ticks me off, I troll the freight sites and think longingly of the old days.

Earl81 03-05-2010 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by BTPM (Post 772812)
I don't know what you are flying or where your based, but try not to crap on the training too bad, shall we. One of the aircraft systems ground schools was just audited by the FAA and they said it was on par with what Horizon Airlines is doing, and clearly head and shoulders above what ANY 135 operator is currently offering. There are a lot of good people involved in the training department who go way above and beyond every day to make life better for you. If you know who I am, then you know it's true.

^ agreed ^

With regards to your first couple weeks of indoc and training just study what you have gone over for the day and keep pace with the curriculum. You'll do fine just take it one step at a time. Dont spend your weekend between indoc and systems/sims going to Disneyland or something :D

propjunkie 03-05-2010 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stratapilot (Post 770044)
Hey guys,

I've gotten my stuff in to Ameriflight for a while, but I haven't heard anything back.

Right now I'm trying to figure out whether I'm simply not competitive or they're just busy.

I currently have
1300TT
800 135 XC
200 night
100 In flight IFR 20 of which is actual.
65 multi.

Given the above numbers am I just not competitive or is it something else?

I would say your problem is your multi time.

Oldog 03-07-2010 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by murphfly (Post 770918)
Man who's paying you to say this??

AMF's training was the most disorganized training I've ever been through. If a trainee isn't "getting it" they just figure they're weeding out the weak ones (which I agree with.. If they can't cut it in the sim they don't belong on the line) They don't ask the trainees at the end if they have any input on improving the training. And don't get me started on Bob's useless drabble about VFR flying and just grazing over the important 135 regs. Don't get me wrong AMF produces good 135 pilots but the training isn't professional in my opinion. It needs major improvement and specifically in the first week of indoc with Bob.

Nobody's paying me to say this; I do it on my own time . . . but I've seen a lot of pilots start the serious part of long flying careers at Ameriflight, and I've seen others bilge out of training while spouting excuses about why it wasn't their fault.

Ameriflight is certainly not perfect, but they spend a huge amount of time, effort, and money to try to get their trainees off to a good start. If you have ideas for improvement and made it out onto the line, make some specific suggestions to the upper-echelon folks at BUR Training. They actually ARE interested in productive input.

Oldog 03-07-2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Scooter2525 (Post 585840)
Planned attrition or expansion?

Both attrition and growth. Just took delivery of two new (to us) BE-1900Cs, and some other aircraft that were underutilized last year are getting taken up with new business.

Oldog 03-07-2010 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by P56C (Post 593247)
Congrats man!

Do you know if Ameriflight is still hiring?

Thanks

As of Feb 2010 Ameriflight is planning new hire classes about once a month for the forseeable future, 5-10 captain candidates per class.

Oldog 03-07-2010 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stratapilot (Post 750067)
That sounds like the kind of company I want to work for. Online application sent. That is the best way right?

Online app, call in after a month or so to make sure they got it, and then update it by phone every couple of months to show your interest and keep your name in front of the recruiting people. Every couple of MONTHS, not every couple of days. They process hundreds of applications. . . .

SIUav8er 03-08-2010 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by murphfly (Post 770918)
Man who's paying you to say this??

AMF's training was the most disorganized training I've ever been through. If a trainee isn't "getting it" they just figure they're weeding out the weak ones (which I agree with.. If they can't cut it in the sim they don't belong on the line) They don't ask the trainees at the end if they have any input on improving the training. And don't get me started on Bob's useless drabble about VFR flying and just grazing over the important 135 regs. Don't get me wrong AMF produces good 135 pilots but the training isn't professional in my opinion. It needs major improvement and specifically in the first week of indoc with Bob.

hmm, I have worked for 2 other 135 operators (no 121), and Amflight has by far the finest training program I have ever been through. There is no comparison.

"Bobs useless drabble" <--- are you serious? Bob has his own way of teaching that can seem odd at times, but that doesnt mean that what he teaches is useless. Think about what he has to do. In about 3 days he has to teach the entire Ops manual and go over all of part 135 and 91. Its obvious that this is just an introduction to the material, not an in depth analysis of each regulation! I think for the time frame given, he lays out the material exceptionally well. You couls spend months going over the finer points of the regs, but that is simply not realistic.