Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 04:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by 9kBud View Post
Are you saying that you're leaving soon?
I wish! Nothing yet though.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
I've been trying to read about this company. What are the odds of getting an ATR FO position for a guy with an ATP but no turbine time?
I'm too lazy to see if we have any specific flight time requirements, but two pretty junior people got the ATR last time they had a bid for it, so it shouldn't be too hard. 9kbud used to fly it, so he would know better than me...
Old 10-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by rocketman3746 View Post
There's not exactly an abundance of aircraft sitting around for training. Might be about a weeks worth of training, but it's spread out due to aircraft availability. Plan to spend some down time at the Holiday Inn! It's a fantastic company to work for though! I will miss it when I leave...
Gotcha...............
Old 10-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
I've been trying to read about this company. What are the odds of getting an ATR FO position for a guy with an ATP but no turbine time?
Here are current minimums as posted on their page carreer section https://www.capeair.com/pilotjobs/index.html
Old 10-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: E175 CRJ

Originally Posted by ackattacker View Post
That, my friend, is why Cape Air is still around after 24 years and just about every other fly-by-night 135 outfit has gone under. You have to actually give a "hoot" about safety. You'd be astounded at the washout rate from that 4-6 weeks of training. I'm sure those washouts got jobs flying 135 elsewhere with 5-6 days of training and a hearty "good luck out there!"
What is the approximate washout rate for training? Also, where are people leaving for after cape air? I have been giving some very, very, serious thought to Cape, but the whole no-turbine time kinda makes me hesitate. Is this stupid on my part?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2012

Originally Posted by pilotdream90 View Post
Here are current minimums as posted on their page carreer section https://www.capeair.com/pilotjobs/index.html
Yeah, I read that. That's why I was asking. I was surprised to see they don't offer ATR FO jobs to people without 121 time.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Pitot heat, what's to eat?

Originally Posted by jrsx99 View Post
What is the approximate washout rate for training? Also, where are people leaving for after cape air? I have been giving some very, very, serious thought to Cape, but the whole no-turbine time kinda makes me hesitate. Is this stupid on my part?
I don't actually know the washout rate, I just know it happens frequently enough, and I heard tell that the reason for the expansion of the FO program a few years back was partly a response to that. They wanted guys to have some more experience in the Cape Air system before taking their PIC checkride, since they really won't pass you to go out and fly PIC if they think you're not ready. And too many guys weren't ready.

No, the whole no-turbine thing is certainly something to think about. You have to know your priorities. You probably will not go straight to a major airline from Cape Air without turbine time. People have left Cape Air straight for a major, but all that I'm aware of had some turbine time either from Cape or elsewhere. Most people without turbine time end up leaving Cape for a regional, or some for private jets or fractionals and even cargo outfits. Keep in mind, if you're willing to move to Guam, it is possible to get turbine time at Cape Air.

There's also the JetBlue bridge program, where folks do end up at JetBlue without any previous turbine time. But that's kind of a special exemption (don't get me started), in general JetBlue and most other major airlines won't look at guys without turbine time.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Jets and Props

Originally Posted by jrsx99 View Post
4/14 washed out of my class

Originally Posted by ackattacker View Post
I don't actually know the washout rate, I just know it happens frequently enough, and I heard tell that the reason for the expansion of the FO program a few years back was partly a response to that. They wanted guys to have some more experience in the Cape Air system before taking their PIC checkride, since they really won't pass you to go out and fly PIC if they think you're not ready. And too many guys weren't ready.

No, the whole no-turbine thing is certainly something to think about. You have to know your priorities. You probably will not go straight to a major airline from Cape Air without turbine time. People have left Cape Air straight for a major, but all that I'm aware of had some turbine time either from Cape or elsewhere. Most people without turbine time end up leaving Cape for a regional, or some for private jets or fractionals and even cargo outfits. Keep in mind, if you're willing to move to Guam, it is possible to get turbine time at Cape Air.

There's also the JetBlue bridge program, where folks do end up at JetBlue without any previous turbine time. But that's kind of a special exemption (don't get me started), in general JetBlue and most other major airlines won't look at guys without turbine time.
In my experience, Corporate charter companies love people from Cape Air. It usually means a good stick and good customer service skills.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:52 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2012

[QUOTE=cubbies4life;1495590]4/14 washed out of my class

Any idea exactly why those people washed out?

I start ground school on Monday and curious how the whole training is going be.

Last edited by Raffi4; 10-03-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2010

[QUOTE=Raffi4;1495615]
Originally Posted by cubbies4life View Post
4/14 washed out of my class

Any idea exactly why those people washed out?

I start ground school on Monday and curious how the whole training is going be.

Stop thinking about it. Go in there and study. You will have a lot of downtime at the Holiday Inn...do not abuse it.

Know your flows, procedures, and most importantly: don't **** anyone off.