Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2013

Is it true that new FO's are moving every 6 months? Also what are the junior bases currently?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Pitot heat, what's to eat?

It's been a while for me, it used to be that if you chose to live in one of the larger bases (BOS, HYA, SJU) then for the first year or two you could not hold your base year round. It would be the Northeast in the Summer and the Caribbean in the Winter. But you had the advantage of living in a larger city, and having a more varied schedule, picking up extra days if you want. And you got paid a bit more for making the move in the winter, moving expenses, higher Caribbean rate, and something called the 2 season bonus. So that was the way to go if you where after the money.

If you chose to live in one of the podunk EAS outstations (there are dozens of them... something like Rockland, Maine or Saranac Lake, NY) You might be based there with just 1 other person and work a simple half-time rotation. Nice and easy, routine, hold your base year round. But little opportunity for extra money.

Edit: This is for Captains. AFAIK they don't normally base FO's in the outstations.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: First Officer

This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the great information.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by ackattacker View Post
It's been a while for me, it used to be that if you chose to live in one of the larger bases (BOS, HYA, SJU) then for the first year or two you could not hold your base year round. It would be the Northeast in the Summer and the Caribbean in the Winter. But you had the advantage of living in a larger city, and having a more varied schedule, picking up extra days if you want. And you got paid a bit more for making the move in the winter, moving expenses, higher Caribbean rate, and something called the 2 season bonus. So that was the way to go if you where after the money.

If you chose to live in one of the podunk EAS outstations (there are dozens of them... something like Rockland, Maine or Saranac Lake, NY) You might be based there with just 1 other person and work a simple half-time rotation. Nice and easy, routine, hold your base year round. But little opportunity for extra money.

Edit: This is for Captains. AFAIK they don't normally base FO's in the outstations.

So nowadays, you think getting a NE base like HYA, etc year around is possible at all? I know that it's based on need when you finish training...just curious if the winter in the Caribbean/summer in the Cape is still the norm? I start Nov 4.

Also, training wise...any thoughts/comments on the 135 ride? I know it'll be ATP standards but wanted to hear a few experiences if anybody had any good tips/stories.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: yes

For the time being you can expect to be going north / south with the seasons for a couple years. This year we are much thinner on pilots than we were last year. Of course, you know how things can change in this industry so.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: E175 CRJ

How does the whole spending half the year in one location and the other half in another work with housing? What do most people do for living accommodations? Obviously you guys aren't maintaining two residences right? How do most guys make this work? Does the company provide any assistance?
Old 10-11-2013, 06:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: yes

Most of the time you can talk with other pilots moving where you are going about getting a crashpad, since they are in the same boat. A lot of our bases have landlords that like renting out to Cape pilots and understand that it must be on a month to month basis. The company doesn't really offer any assistance on finding housing, except I believe they do allow time off prior to transition to scout housing / secure a car. One more thing you can do is check with the pilot(s) leaving the base.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2012

Originally Posted by SkylaneRG View Post
Is it true that new FO's are moving every 6 months? Also what are the junior bases currently?
They put more FO's in the out stations than the hubs. Most FO's upgrade within a year unless hired with real low time (rare). So FO's might go through one transition but usually upgrade before having to move a second time.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: B737 /FO

What is the realistic outlook for ATR42 Guam upgrade time?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

Finally tossed my resume into the mix. I'm hoping I get a call and hoping for a midwest base!