Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: ERJ right

Originally Posted by clipperskipper View Post
Why the interest in the airline (Island) next door all of a sudden?
Who's interest?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Had a meeting in Hyannis and conference call with some of the Gateway guys this morning with JetBlue. Pouring the Blue juice about how if we stay at Cape Air, we could end up at Jetblue with 0 turbine time after we make 3000TT.

FOs also got an email from the COO begging them not to leave. Basically saying that while there's a lot of jet jobs out there, you can get to Jetblue from here.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: 9K CA

Originally Posted by Crism View Post
Had a meeting in Hyannis and conference call with some of the Gateway guys this morning with JetBlue. Pouring the Blue juice about how if we stay at Cape Air, we could end up at Jetblue with 0 turbine time after we make 3000TT.

FOs also got an email from the COO begging them not to leave. Basically saying that while there's a lot of jet jobs out there, you can get to Jetblue from here.
If they want to make good on that, why not hire all of the guys and gals who have been here for two, three, four years and easily have 3000TT?

And if it's only for the Gateway folks, then what is the point of staying at Cape Air for the other 100 or so pilots that aren't "Cape Air for life?" Since you can't get to a Major without turbine time (or a ton of luck) why not just go to Cape, get enough time to meet the mins at any regional, then pick and choose?

IMHO, Cape Air/Jetblue need to make good on their "partnership" or we are going to be real short staffed, REAL quick.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Originally Posted by vtbvtdk View Post
If they want to make good on that, why not hire all of the guys and gals who have been here for two, three, four years and easily have 3000TT?

And if it's only for the Gateway folks, then what is the point of staying at Cape Air for the other 100 or so pilots that aren't "Cape Air for life?" Since you can't get to a Major without turbine time (or a ton of luck) why not just go to Cape, get enough time to meet the mins at any regional, then pick and choose?

IMHO, Cape Air/Jetblue need to make good on their "partnership" or we are going to be real short staffed, REAL quick.
You've got that right. And that's exactly what the FOs concerns are at this point. I know you've seen how disgruntled some of them are out here.

Jetblue guys tried to sound excited about getting the first round through sometime soon though. A few guys are coming up on their 3k fairly quickly now. However, everyone should remember one thing, it's a GUARANTEED INTERVIEW. "It's yours to lose" is what was being said. I'd be ****ed at myself if I went through the whole program then didn't make it.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by Crism View Post
Jetblue guys tried to sound excited about getting the first round through sometime soon though. A few guys are coming up on their 3k fairly quickly now. However, everyone should remember one thing, it's a GUARANTEED INTERVIEW. "It's yours to lose" is what was being said. I'd be ****ed at myself if I went through the whole program then didn't make it.
Yeah...when I left, that JetBlue program was a source of a lot of heartburn within the pilot group. Basically, it revolved around new FOs showing up in the crew rooms jabbering on about how they're going to JetBlue soon, when guys/gals with a proven record of solid PIC experience couldn't get looked at.

I wish you guys the best of luck, however.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: A-320 FO

Relax. Every legacy and major carrier has hired C-402 Captains in the past, weather it was from Cape Air, PBA, or Gull Air. Many had no turbine time, most had around 2500TT.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Being a Cape Air F/O is the best seat in the house, unlimited days off, 0 responsibility, 35 hour min.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Originally Posted by feltf4 View Post
Being a Cape Air F/O is the best seat in the house, unlimited days off, 0 responsibility, 35 hour min.
I guarantee that if you watch the guy in the left seat bend metal, you'll be standing in the Chief Pilot's office right next to him!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: A-320 FO

Originally Posted by NightIP View Post
I guarantee that if you watch the guy in the left seat bend metal, you'll be standing in the Chief Pilot's office right next to him!
It's nice to have someone in the right seat, every baggage cart incident has
usually been on the starboard side of the aircraft.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Originally Posted by clipperskipper View Post
It's nice to have someone in the right seat, every baggage cart incident has
usually been on the starboard side of the aircraft.
Yeah, it is nice. That said, I flew with a guy who almost let me bust a hold short clearance on taxi because he didn't want to speak up. I don't think I'm an ogre in the cockpit, either. I just think it's a culture problem the company has that really needs to be addressed by the training department. I don't want to disparage the good ones, but a lot of FOs were coming online thinking they got to collect a paycheck and log time by going on airplane rides. As you well know, that's just not true. Ask my 9K pilot roommate; I can still put on a good 9K rant even though I've moved on, haha.