Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:50 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by BravoTango View Post
You’re not quite understanding. There is no max scheduled hours other than you have to have a day off a week. Trust me if you’re scheduled for a 13 hour day that contains 7 hours of flying, what you’ve got in between is rest breaks, eating, bathroom, flight planning etc... if the company schedules you for those six days and you time out you’re still paid. Extra duty days however outside your line are likely to be “spare” duty, which will be a higher percentage of sit.

Thirteen hour days with 7+ hours of flying and 6-8 legs are very tiring. You need your breaks. If you’re bored and have too much energy go vacuum the plane, clean the windshield, and get your captain coffee
Thanks a bunch! That clears up what I wanted to know.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:30 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2018

Originally Posted by Copilot4life View Post
So an FO in initial training will be in Hyannis for the duration of the entire training? Or does a certain half of training occur there and the other half in the FOs assigned base?
All in Hyannis until you’re done with IOE and released to the line. Then you have time to move per the CBA and then you start work in your assigned base.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:34 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2018
Position: Flight Instructor

Originally Posted by tacocat View Post
All in Hyannis until you’re done with IOE and released to the line. Then you have time to move per the CBA and then you start work in your assigned base.
Is there any home based studying to be done before you go to Hyannis?

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2018, 07:40 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by aznpilot87 View Post
between 30hrs and 53hrs, what kind of duties are you doing if you're not flying?
It's great to hear I can pick up extra shifts and overtime but if i reach the maximum hours a week, what else can I do?
Just to be clear though, you are limited to 34 flight hours in 7 days (34/7) so if you have a line where you’re doing 7/day, then you’ll be limited on how many extra shifts you can pick up before you time out for the week.

Not sure if you’re coming in as an FO or a Captain, but just note there’s only 2 FO slots presently in the Caribbean.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:43 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by KCFLY View Post

Thanks!
Yes... there is some online ground school that’s done at home prior to coming to HYA. They cover the stuff that’s required to be covered in person once you arrive in HYA.

My class didn’t have that so I can’t really speak to it, but I’m sure someone here can.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:46 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2018
Position: Flight Instructor

Originally Posted by BravoTango View Post
For which? FO initial? PIC? ATP? Assuming you mean FO initial, I’d say anywhere from 6-8 weeks best case to 12 or more. It depends on how well you do, weather, instructor and simulator availability. It’s not a fixed time period. Your class only does ground school portion in lock step. Also includes check ride, chief pilot debrief, line oriented training and IOE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. I understand FO training is 6-8 weeks, etc.

When you hit 1200 hours I'm guessing you do PIC training? how long is that, is it back in Hyannis?

Captain training, I'm guessing when you hit 1500 hours, you do your ATP training/test then do capt training? How long does all that take and is it all in Hyannis again?

If you come in with 1200 hours would you still start as an FO and go through FO and PIC training?

Thanks for any clarification.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:04 AM
Line Holder

Good point. I understand FO training is 6-8 weeks, etc.

When you hit 1200 hours I'm guessing you do PIC training? how long is that, is it back in Hyannis?

Captain training, I'm guessing when you hit 1500 hours, you do your ATP training/test then do capt training? How long does all that take and is it all in Hyannis again?

If you come in with 1200 hours would you still start as an FO and go through FO and PIC training?

Thanks for any clarification.
If you come in with 135 PIC requirements met, then you’ll go straight to PIC. If not, you’ll train as an FO and be an FO until you meet those requirements.

ATP-CTP is done externally, but the company has examining authority for ATP and so all of that training and checkride is done in Hyannis.

I’d plan more on the 8+ side for initial FO.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by tacocat View Post
Just to be clear though, you are limited to 34 flight hours in 7 days (34/7) so if you have a line where you’re doing 7/day, then you’ll be limited on how many extra shifts you can pick up before you time out for the week.

Not sure if you’re coming in as an FO or a Captain, but just note there’s only 2 FO slots presently in the Caribbean.
Thanks that makes sense. I'm coming in as a captain. I am looking for bases that would be easy to commute while liviny in Florida and also easy to find airbnb or crashpads.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-28-2018, 10:01 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by aznpilot87 View Post
Thanks that makes sense. I'm coming in as a captain. I am looking for bases that would be easy to commute while liviny in Florida and also easy to find airbnb or crashpads.

Any suggestions?
Not sure about housing, but most Caribbean flights go in and out of SJU so I don’t think the commute would be terribly difficult from FL.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:13 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2018

Thanks!
Yeah, I’m pretty sure there’s a week of online studying.